Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 05:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamzey View Post
I just found out I'm 17% native American, what now?
I wonder how many tribes/First Nations are accepting DNA evidence as proof of membership? Any?

I'm not certain how they do it, when ancestry is a bit murky--it isn't like paperwork or official records were always available to trace family trees. Even in the recent past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 11:23 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I wonder how many tribes/First Nations are accepting DNA evidence as proof of membership? Any?

I'm not certain how they do it, when ancestry is a bit murky--it isn't like paperwork or official records were always available to trace family trees. Even in the recent past.
As far as I know none are. For one currently we don't have enough data to identify DNA as tribe specific vs say just Native American.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:08 AM

322 posts, read 706,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
US/Canadian tribes do not use autosomal DNA as proof of membership and would not. DNA does not prove you belong to a specific tribe. Native Americans are very common with one another. You can prove a Cherokee Indian, from a Crow to a Lakota with autosomal.
Indian Rolls and tribal rolls in which ancestors are registered on show this. The only poof that ones ancestors belonged or had recognition with a tribe. The only time DNA is used in some tribes is to show one is related to the parent(s) enrolled. Meaning, they want to make sure you are related biologically to the registered parent(s).

Old 09-09-2016, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,566 times
I am Chikamaka Cherokee and I have a certificate notarized that says Randy Nelson Greene is Hereby Known and Found as a Lineal Descendant by Blood of the Chikamaka-Cherokee As Such is Hereby the Rights and Privileges Set Forth that this bestows Given Under My Hand This 5th Day of November 2005. Sgned : Charlie Lawson just wondering if I can receive any medical or any type of benefits from this

Old 09-10-2016, 03:38 PM

473 posts, read 501,763 times
My cherokee family was residing in Arkansas at time of Dawes Roles....As far as I know, even my 1/8 Cherokee father cannot be put on roles.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:36 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbadude711 View Post
I am Chikamaka Cherokee and I have a certificate notarized that says Randy Nelson Greene is Hereby Known and Found as a Lineal Descendant by Blood of the Chikamaka-Cherokee As Such is Hereby the Rights and Privileges Set Forth that this bestows Given Under My Hand This 5th Day of November 2005. Sgned : Charlie Lawson just wondering if I can receive any medical or any type of benefits from this
Ask the office at the tribal headquarters of the Chikamaka Cherokee what benefits you are entitled to.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:04 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbadude711 View Post
Ask the office personnel at the tribal headquarters of the Chikamaka Cherokee Nation what benefits you are entitled to.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,463 times
Does anyone know who to get in touch with to claim my native American rights?

Old 09-11-2016, 06:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamzey View Post
Does anyone know who to get in touch with to claim my native American rights?
Son/Daughter;

You may or may not have benefits. I am 1/16th Chippewa, and I'm a member of the White Earth Nation. I do not receive any benefits, since I do not live on the reservation. If I did, I might be entitled to Indian Health Service Medical Care, and maybe some discounted mortgages and hunting/fishing privileges. I might also be entitled to preference for some job positions.

In order to claim indian ancestry, you must be able to prove your descent from a native american of a specific tribe or band. You need to start with what you know, and that is your parents and grandparents. You need to start building a family tree, and work your way back. I would get copies of birth certificates, and look at the census records. Race is often mentioned on these documents. As an example, my mother's birth certificate indicated that her mother was a "mixed indian." I was able to connect with White Earth and become a member, because my mother was listed on the indian tribal records, or "rolls." White Earth is not accepting any more children of members; each tribe has their own membership criteria (sometimes it is blood quantum-meaning percent Indian blood), but it always includes proof of ancestry.

Once you discover who was an indian (native american) in your background, you need to find out which tribe they belonged to; in some cases, the tribe is nearby.

If you can't find this information through genealogy, you may be able to find cousins through autosomal DNA testing, and they may be able to shed some light on this part of your ancestry.

I would look upon your quest for your native american roots as a source of pride, and not as a search for benefits; you may be disappointed if that is your only interest.

Here is a good source of information for you concerning native american matters!

Cyndi's List - Native American

Old 09-12-2016, 01:35 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Not trying to start another indian war here, but my ancestors were the ones who did the conquering. I don't get anything everyone else doesn't have, freedom, etc, because they built America. So why should I have to pay the offspring of the indians ten times removed because my ancestors killed yours? That isn't fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy