Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:56 AM

43 posts, read 48,256 times

Advertisements

Full blood Natives still exist though they are not many of them like in the past, but they are still around. More mix bloods than anything now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 09:25 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,389,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amer'Indian Warrior View Post
Full blood Natives still exist though they are not many of them like in the past, but they are still around.
And most of them are probably in Arizona and New Mexico. Remote reservations limit social contacts with non natives.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:47 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn82 View Post
it's nauseating to read through half these posts so IM just going to give the OP the best advice anyone here can ever give them

I haven't read through it all , but just send a PM to AppalachianGumbo

that's their username here.

I guarantee they will know the truth of everything you re asking for and a hell of a lot more than at least half the people who've responded to this thread already

take care.

as for pure blooded or relatively pure blooded Indians still around in the U.S. ? yes they do exist, probably a lot more than most realize

the problem is, OP, you are "off the Rez" and many of those with still strong Native bloodlines live in reservations

I imagine natives in the west coast , as a group, are probably the least mixed with any white blood/ancestry than anyone else n terms of entire groups of natives

but you can easily find pure blooded or damn close to being pure blooded Native North American Indians who came from North of the Rio Grande on any reservation

and most reservations have a certain time when they are partly open to tourists since its one of their main ways to make money.

but in terms of individual yes even pure blooded Native Americans still exist everywhere from east to west to north in America but many live in reservations, which is why they are still pure pure blooded

most native American reservations have people with a lot or mostly or even pure Native ancestry along with people of mixed native and some white ancestry usually

each reservation has different rules for tribal membership qualification and despite what people think, they make their own rules in regards to blood quantum now for membership, differs from tribe to tribe.

and the truth is, there' not even half as many White people with mixed or 1/16 or whatever Native American ancestry as claim to be. For many they have no real clue if that is true about their family or not and most genetic studies show there just cant be as much mixture as went on as all the "white people with a little Indian/Cherokee blood" claim or else there world no Native American left at all

the truth is, most Native Americans who actually live in reservations or who do have alot of native ancestry, 1/2 or 1/4 etc.... laugh just about every time they hear a white person say they have "some" native American ancestry or a "little bit" of Indian blood. That's hat I've been told by someone who did have a lot of true Native American ancestry and who has official tribal membership in a federally recognized tribe.

the truth is, if you have Native ancestry back to the 1800's it would be documented.

other than that how can anyone tell if they have, for example "1/16" of anything????? if its that far back, it wasn't documented.

if you have a DNA test that shows it then its one thing since that's actual proof, other than that it's just stupid unsubstantiated family lore.

one poster sad they had 1/16 Cherokee and 1/16 Blackfoot? I can tell just by common sense and just by how that sounds that's very very seriously most likely completely not true.

anyway, if the OP is serious about the questions then send a PM to the user named AppalachianGumbo they can and will tell you the truth of everything you are asking about, other than that don't listen to a word anyone says who doesn't have recent documented native american ancestry. there's a lot of "myths" to a lot of this crap more than most white people really know and understand.
Please note, students who were members of distant tribes did commonly meet & marry at "Indian Schools" such as Carlisle. My understanding is that DNA testing results will not differentiate between NA tribal groups. Is this a correct assumption? I have seen tribal census reports from early 1900s that differentiated fractions of affiliated tribal blood in one individual-- such as 1/4 Yanktois, 1/2 Snake, 1/4 white.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:04 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,490 times
Default Apache tribal elder Vincent Randall

his physical appearance shows some signs of mongoloid / asian features

2013 Verde Pride Awards: Lifetime Achiever -- Apache Elder Vincent Randall - The Verde Independent - Cottonwood, Arizona

Last edited by mr bolo; 02-12-2016 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 03:07 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
I have extremely wide feet with a high arch so it has become really difficult to get shoes that fit
i have wide feet with high arch too, I cant find shoes but Im 100% white with absoluletly zero NA

Old 02-12-2016, 03:34 PM

343 posts, read 316,466 times
never even met a indian/native american but doubt there are many full bloods left, in fact, i don't think any area is 100% pure anything in this day in time with so much mixing going on in the past and the present day

Old 02-12-2016, 05:35 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i have wide feet with high arch too, I cant find shoes but Im 100% white with absoluletly zero NA
Had DNA done to track down my bio parents. Found my bio mom this year. Unfortunately she passed on in 2011 but turns out her bloodline has (so far) been traced to 4 tribal nations (Choctaw/Cherokee/Nansemond/Powhatan) way back. 6 to 9 generations ago. Most of my maternal side is high % Irish along with some Welsh, English, and Scavandian. Now working on the bio dad and hope we can track him down this year.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:50 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
There are quite a few Native Americans in the Pacific northwest, and up in Alaska. Also in North and South Dakota and Wyoming, and Minnesota. Many people in those areas who have mixed Native and other ethnic ancestries... but many who might still be "full-blooded" Native. I don't think obsessing over DNA is very fruitful... I think it's more a question of where someone grew up, what culture they've been immersed in, that kind of thing, that would determine someone's identity more than counting chromosomes.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:43 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
There are quite a few Native Americans in the Pacific northwest, and up in Alaska. Also in North and South Dakota and Wyoming, and Minnesota. Many people in those areas who have mixed Native and other ethnic ancestries... but many who might still be "full-blooded" Native. I don't think obsessing over DNA is very fruitful... I think it's more a question of where someone grew up, what culture they've been immersed in, that kind of thing, that would determine someone's identity more than counting chromosomes.
I agree, though that wasn't the question or topic really... The OP didn't seem to suggest that the culture is extinct either, just "full blood" natives.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,313 times
Default True Native Americans

Wouldn't a "true" native American be one whose complete ancestry is from American only, not any other land? Therefore, would there have been any "true" native Americans ever? Didn't the Indian Americans come to America from other lands? Therefore, they would not be "true" native Americans. So, are there any "true" native Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy