Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

I was always told my ancestors would be ashamed of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Judging ancestors is a bit like judging a crime in the Crime forums where only minimal, and very likely biased, facts are known. And too, applying today's social and economic standards to our ancestors can be academically entertaining but certainly not very logical.

Any family historian who has accumulated a significant number of ancestors in their data and has not discovered thieves (bad) along with royalty (good) just hasn't looked very hard. Then again, by today's social standards, the two could be one and the same.

Research done with a judgmental eye will always result in obviously biased results and will not survive objective peer review.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Judging ancestors is a bit like judging a crime in the Crime forums where only minimal, and very likely biased, facts are known. And too, applying today's social and economic standards to our ancestors can be academically entertaining but certainly not very logical.

Any family historian who has accumulated a significant number of ancestors in their data and has not discovered thieves (bad) along with royalty (good) just hasn't looked very hard. Then again, by today's social standards, the two could be one and the same.

Research done with a judgmental eye will always result in obviously biased results and will not survive objective peer review.
My known ancestors are not famous or important, but I know about what they went through in their lives, how being hauled in chains as a covict didn't stop one from when he could grasping all the chances of a good life he could, how one was burned out in Missouri right after the civil war began and came back after to start again, how they were people who didn't let misfortune stop them from keeping the dream. They were probably people with things about them we'd find objectional based on OUR perception, but the best inheritance is the lesson they left in how they lived life. I'd remind myself of them when things seemed too lost or too impossible, especially my grandmothers and their mothers. Both were raised by just their mothers, after the father died or dissapeared when that was not the norm.

I think we should always remember that the standard will change we live by, and someday someone could be looking at us and judging us by some standard we wouldn't even understand.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
My grandfather fought in the German army (Wehrmacht) in WW2. His father was wounded badly in WW1. He could not have joined the SS as although he was highly assimilated he was still a jew.

But he still answered his nations call as a German-as did many other German jews.

Why would I be ashamed of this? He fought honorably for his country against Communism. I would not expect modern Americans to understand, but he had the Prussian military code of honor to live in and was not responsible for the jackoff he was taking orders from...like every other soldier in history.
The so called German Jews that served in the German military would have been heavily assimilated into Germany. In addition they would have looked Aryan.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I am new to genealogy and have already encountered some pretty nasty stories of domestic violence, abuse, and even incest. (And that was all in just one patriarchal line!) Still, I take it all with a grain of salt because I know that it is common for people to gossip about the outrageous and never pass on the good stuff others do. (Maybe I should try to research THAT! )

All in all, I would say that you have to judge a group on their results -- and that would be the descendants, right? For the most part, I am darned glad for the family I have, no matter where their roots came from.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:56 PM

345 posts, read 474,012 times
Fwiw in the early 1800s it was not rare for men in their 20s to marry 14yos. My paternal GM was 16 when she started dating my GF, who was 32. This was in a very rural area mind you. My maternal grandparents were from the city. They had an arranged marriage. Which is worse?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
John Wesley Hardin, my great grandmothers uncle. Notorious gun fighter and killer.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
I have always suspected that both the maternal and paternal sides shared the same genes with Adolf Hitler.

But this Pickle wouldn't dare research it!!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
None that I know of,family tree goes back to early 1800's to the steel mills of Wolverhampton England which at that time some were indentured apprentices.My father was born in January 1884,had a brother who was in the Klondike gold rush of which I have copies.He survived this to only die in auto accident around 1920.
My sisters daughter has run the tree all the way back to Charmane whoever that is,never talked to her about her endeavor.
We do have Federal soldier buried in Gettysburg on mothers side.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 AM

345 posts, read 474,012 times
I have someone that:

1) was lynched by a group of Jesuit priests about 1800 in Illinois. That takes some doing.

2) left his wife and 11 children to marry his first cousin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy