Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times

Advertisements

My mother was a Daniel whose family history goes back the the Daniel brothers who were paid for their Revolutionary War service with tracts of land in Georgia. Her parents were the first of their long-entrenched Georgia families to leave Georgia and head for Texas. Needless to say, there is a record of a couple of them having owned a slave or two but none of them were big plantation owners--they were just small farmers who happened to own a couple of slaves. No, I am not ashamed of them and I see no reason to be. It was the era they lived in and was acceptable at that time.

My mother and her siblings always believed that their brother's wife administered poison to him which caused his death. (c. 1935) To me, a premeditated murder like this is a far more egregious sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Ashamed of my dad's first-cousin-marrying, venereal-disease-spreading relatives on his dad's side!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I think a lot of us had first cousins marrying. I know I did. My own grandmother married at age 15 and it wasn't scandalous at all in those days, that I know of. People didn't always live long so they had to start early.

With my family tree, I'm neither proud nor ashamed. I, too, am related to Pres. Bush. I have an entire family who were Tories and fought against the colonies in the Rev. War (Rogers Rangers in Vermont). They weren't here in the really early days so maybe that's why they didn't have the same loyalty to the colonies. I have one who, when a woman was accused of witchcraft, he stood by and did nothing. At least the poor woman was not found guilty.

Over the weekend I learned that another ancestor actually did accuse a woman of being a witch. She got away the first time but after her husband died, these people went after her again and this time she was hanged. I can understand taking one side over another in a war. I should be able to understand the witchcraft hysteria but it's a stretch and it makes me really furious. I don't feel a sense of shame over it but I would just like to go back in time and slap that person across the face or worse!

I also have several Rev. War veterans and a veteran of the French and Indian War. I think most went because they were supposed to and they wanted to. It doesn't make me proud or ashamed although I'm glad for anyone who stood up for what they believed in. Not the witchcraft guys though, not them. THEY should have known better. They are murderers.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Clanpa

Althogh we really liked him, we were dismayed when we found his box of pictures of him at Clan events.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
I'm not ashamed of anything my ancestors did because they are my ancestors. They're dead.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Not ashamed, but certainly curious. My paternal grandmother's father immigrated from Ireland, and after a few yeas ended up married to Matilda's mom in Tennessee. Then, after she was born, he got dressed to go to work and left one morning, and never returned. Not sure if he made it to work or not, but the family believed she knew why and did not appear angry and kept the secret past her death.

My maternal grandmother dumped my grandmother in the late 30's, nary a penny of support (he had money to give her) and grew up hearing snipes at him from grandma. Mom kept contact but my cousins never knew him and his family considered that grandma was part of the family, but he was on his own. If he had, and my mom had been able to go beyond the first year at USC she might not have met dad and things would have gone a whole lot differently.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM

355 posts, read 1,189,823 times
Why should you be ashamed of any of your ancestors?
Quite an "uncatholic" thing!!!

Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Why should you be ashamed of any of your ancestors?
Quite an "uncatholic" thing!!!
I can think of lots of reasons.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Great uncle Hector was renown for licking the plate at the end of meals. When eating at other places, I have noticed people waiting to see what I do when I finish my plate- waiting to see if I have the "curse".

Old 05-12-2012, 04:52 AM

355 posts, read 1,189,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I can think of lots of reasons.

Why? You are not guilty of your ancestor crimes.

You can not judge anybody from the past with today's morals.

Anyways, after the "extreme unction" Catholics die clean as a blank slate.

If I had a criminal among my ancestors, I would not feel ashamed of him at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy