Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I just found out, in the last two months, that my great, great grandmother and great grandmother were Choctaw Indians.

I had no idea!

I don't know anything about them with exception that the family all lived in the OK area at the time.

I don't know what that makes me...what like 1/16th or even less but apparently I've got some Indian blood in me even if it's not much. Kind of fascinating to me and sure does answer some questions about some beliefs I have that were never taught to me.

Am trying to learn as much as I can but sure would love some more information if anyone knows anything.

Edit: So now we are talking about names to prove anything...sigh.

Ok, great, great grandmother went by the name: Arrie

Great grandmother went by the name: "Fannie" Siotha

Grandmother went by the name of: Wonema

And no, it's not a "myth". Correction though, Arrie lived in GA area before moving, Siotha lived in AR before moving and Wonema came from OK.
Choctaw here too! Family born in OK, also moved to MO, AR and TX. Choctaw and Cherokee according to the Dawes Rolls.

We are way down the line though...past the 1/32nd mark, so officially unable to call ourselves O-fficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 10:12 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Choctaw here too! Family born in OK, also moved to MO, AR and TX. Choctaw and Cherokee according to the Dawes Rolls.

We are way down the line though...past the 1/32nd mark, so officially unable to call ourselves O-fficial.
I'm certainly not official, either and would never claim to be. I'm more English than I am anything else, (also some Irish and some Italian, (I have been told about the Italian but that is the bio father's side and I have hardly any information from there...so who knows), basically, I'm a mutt).

As I stated in a post above, I was adopted and was always told, by my adoptive parents who had quite a bit of information, that I was 1/2 English, 1/4 Irish and 1/4 Italian.

Never did anyone mention Indian or Choctaw.

It was after I started researching my heritage that I found that. Imagine my surprise!

I set out to find my lineage, where I came from, who were my relatives, where did they come from, were there any interesting stories, could I find photos, did I look like anyone, etc.

I highly identify with Irish culture and I always had some beliefs that I strongly feel that I have only seen attributed to nations/clans/tribes, (I don't know the correct word), I've read about. I won't go in to those because that's not what this thread is for but they were very strong...I can only say they were so strong that it felt wrong NOT to think and act and believe these ways.

Anyway, the point is, I did not seek information to MAKE me have this in my genealogy, it came as a complete surprise. And I didn't believe it at first because no one said a thing to me my entire life. But every single piece of information I find, most specifically on my great grandmother, Siotha, says she was Choctaw. So while I would never claim to be Indian or Native American, I can say, it's in my lineage, it, in all truth, does answer some questions for me with why I believe or "feel" certain things and I do have some of it in my blood even if it's a small percentage.

I would never claim something that did not happen to me or mine, but it looks like some things did happen and I'm extremely interested to learn more about it.

We can read books and stories all we want, we'll never truly understand, but I want to learn as much as I can and try to identify as much as I can so I can understand as much as I can. If that makes any sense whatsoever. I'm not always that good at getting what I'm actually thinking down on paper.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 AM

3,489 posts, read 6,508,018 times
Quote:
P.S. Found a photo of Chief Gilbert W. Dukes online. Chronicles of Oklahoma
Yup, that's me -- about 25 years ago. Even the hands are the same.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I highly identify with Irish culture and I always had some beliefs that I strongly feel that I have only seen attributed to nations/clans/tribes, (I don't know the correct word), I've read about. I won't go in to those because that's not what this thread is for but they were very strong...I can only say they were so strong that it felt wrong NOT to think and act and believe these ways.
A historical/cultural tidbit. The Choctaw had, and still have, a special affinity for the Scots and the Irish. (Why else do you suppose there are so many Scottish and Irish names on the rolls! ) The three peoples have a lot in common, historically and culturally.

Here's another tidbit:https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/michael/...ctaw/irish.htm

Old 10-23-2011, 03:54 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
A historical/cultural tidbit. The Choctaw had, and still have, a special affinity for the Scots and the Irish. (Why else do you suppose there are so many Scottish and Irish names on the rolls! ) The three peoples have a lot in common, historically and culturally.

That was amazing, thank you for sharing that!

Currently going through the Dawes Final Rolls..on page 6...a looooooong ways to go, yet.

I really don't know if I'll find their names on there. I did find a last name that is my great, great grandfather's mother's maiden name, (the one who was married to Arrie), but it said first name was Maude, not Martha. So, I keep looking.

Also found a few sites that are teaching me quite a bit. For example:

Nighteyes, for all your kindness and information, thank you. Yakoke.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post

Thank you so much for posting that!

I was especially touched by the Irish repay Choctaw story, which I'd never heard.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I was especially touched by the Irish repay Choctaw story, which I'd never heard.
I knew nothing about this either, until my 2009 trip to Ireland. Once my fellow pub patrons in the west of Ireland -- the towns of Kilronan, Doolin and Dingle -- found out that I am Choctaw, my money was absolutely no good. I had to practically hog-tie (and threaten to scalp) the barmen before I could buy a round...

-- Nighteyes

PS: I'm happy to report that, apparently, I inherited my alcohol tolerance from my German, Scots and Irish ancestors rather than the Choctaw...

Last edited by Nighteyes; 11-02-2011 at 04:53 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 01:05 AM

31 posts, read 110,070 times
I find this a bit ridiculous.

Following this logic, you could trace your 'native' ancestors back to Asia, and conclude that you're Chinese, Russian, Indian or what have you.

Tribes are a sociopolitical organization, and 'natives' of North America are genetically interchangeable, at least in regard to anything relevant. If you believe having genetic influence from a member of the Seminole tribe for example, then you could also claim to be a member of whatever other tribe you fancy.

What you're doing here simply does not make sense.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:44 AM

375 posts, read 1,096,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlamonde View Post

Following this logic, you could trace your 'native' ancestors back to Asia, and conclude that you're Chinese, Russian, Indian or what have you.

Tribes are a sociopolitical organization, and 'natives' of North America are genetically interchangeable, at least in regard to anything relevant. If you believe having genetic influence from a member of the Seminole tribe for example, then you could also claim to be a member of whatever other tribe you fancy.

?? You don't see a difference between tracing my native ancestors back 150 years to an area within 20 miles of where I currently live and tracing my ancestry from 10,000 or 15,000 years ago to the other side of the planet??

And genetics aside, when mixed bloods decided it was in their best interest to pass they dropped the obvious badges of their tribes but they didn't change their values or beliefs. Those were passed down to their descendants. Many mutts like myself become students of the tribes of their ancestors to better understand the social structure that their extended families find themselves in today. To give you an idea of just how distinct that is from mainstream society - when I speak of extended family I'm talking about a group that numbers in the hundreds whose names I know and whose relationship to me I know out to 4th and 5th cousins, many with multiple linkages. And that has nothing to do with an interest in genealogy, the average elementary school kid in my family could name at least 30 or 40 of their cousins without even thinking about it. I was in college before I discovered this was "unusual".

Old 11-04-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlamonde View Post

Take two aspirin, place a cold cloth across your eyes, and lie down with your feet up. Your brain-pain should pass within 30 minutes or so.

[Wow! If ever one needed clear evidence of reductio ad absurdum, here it is...]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy