Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,924 times

Advertisements

My ancestry is equal parts Polish, Italian, and Lebanese.

I'm less "mixed" than a lot of white Americans because of more recent immigration in my family.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
There are those of us who are less mixed than others.

I actually do not have any Ellis Island era ancestors, as all great great grandparents of mine were here and accounted for no later than the mid nineteenth century, and most much earlier. I am predominantly of English descent, and can prove it (not that it matters a lick.) The remaining 12% or so is German and Choctaw.

But as PPs have noted, there was a great deal of mixing within the British Isles, with ancient Britons, Saxons, Celts, Vikings, Normans all arriving in waves. That is the next step, to make contact with the family of origin and obtain DNA testing for admixture.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:35 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Paternal Grandfather Northern Italian, traces family history to an order of Roman Knights mixed with South Tirol Jewish.
Grandmother French from Marseilles

Maternal GM / GF French speaking Arcadian family from Mass. Early French settlers
mixed with British and Native American.

My Father was born around 1917 in Egypt, son of an Italian engineer working on the Suez Canal. My Grandmother was French, making clothes for the Royal Family in Egypt
My Father was an Officer in Italian Army in the war and ended up immigrating to the USA after the war. The family was wealthy; involved in Government, certainly some family members were active Fascists under Mussolini. Post war conflict with communist groups, one of my uncles shot. My Father decided to immigrate to the USA. Arrived in America with nothing.

My mother was the daughter of a covered up teenage pregnancy in a well off family. Raised by an aunt, boarding school...

They met in Florida and eventually settled in California.

I met my German ex wife and mother of my daughter in England, Her Family comes from the Eiffel and with the exception of 1 Hunsrücker (Other side of the Mosel) no known relatives outside of the Eiffel.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Irish two sets of Irish Great Grandparents. One set Swedish great grandparents one set English Great Grandparents. My Grandmother is Mexican though...born in Mexico of Swedish parents. So....there goes...."what do "Mexicans" look like"! She has fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes. And so do I.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:18 PM

80 posts, read 218,802 times
Depends on the region. I always thought white southerners and Aussies look nearly identical. And that would make sense since most white southerners are predominately of British ancestry. I've done my own fam. research and it seems it's rather boring, mostly English with a little scottish and welsh mixed in. My fam. is from Virginia and has been here since the 1600's but no new immigrant ancestry since the 1700's. I think this is fairly typical of white southerners.

I don't know the rest of the country as well but I would suspect similar results in parts of New England and out west like Utah, North Dakota, etc. The mid-atlantic states (pennsylvania, new jersey, new york) and upper midwestern states (Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. ) I believe are much more diverse in ancestry as well as having big populations. I think in these areas you'll find many people of Italian, Polish, Jewish, German, Scandinavian, Greek, etc. ancestry more than in other areas of the country.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 PM

153 posts, read 543,204 times
Absolutely. I am a 'white' American with heritage from Italy, Scotland, France, Germany, and possibly even more.

It depends where you look in the U.S. If you looked in New York, there would be a lot more Italian whites, or Italian mixes than down in Georgia. In the deep south you would find the most 100% british whites, as southern Europeans tended to arrive at Philadelphia, Boston, and especially New York so they settled in the Northeast.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaaa View Post
Absolutely. I am a 'white' American with heritage from Italy, Scotland, France, Germany, and possibly even more.

It depends where you look in the U.S. If you looked in New York, there would be a lot more Italian whites, or Italian mixes than down in Georgia. In the deep south you would find the most 100% british whites, as southern Europeans tended to arrive at Philadelphia, Boston, and especially New York so they settled in the Northeast.
Mostly true. But there is nothing stranger than being down South and seeing "ethnic"-looking white people with long, polysyllabic Greek, Italian or Slavic surnames speaking with heavy Southern redneck accents. I've run up on a few.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 AM

261 posts, read 512,724 times
omg this is pathetic. What is with this constant CONSTANT British references. If you guys are soo SOOOO sooo (oh god soo much!) longing to be British or have continuous linking to the Brits--Jesus just move back their and get your blond hair blue eyes prince to sweep you off of your dainty 'long lost' heritage diamond studded heels. And what is with this constant "ya im missed with, Irish, German, Scottish" im sorry but their is no difference. Nothing visually different, no one can honestly tell by looking at you so in other words your just a white person.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
omg this is pathetic. What is with this constant CONSTANT British references. If you guys are soo SOOOO sooo (oh god soo much!) longing to be British or have continuous linking to the Brits--Jesus just move back their and get your blond hair blue eyes prince to sweep you off of your dainty 'long lost' heritage diamond studded heels. And what is with this constant "ya im missed with, Irish, German, Scottish" im sorry but their is no difference. Nothing visually different, no one can honestly tell by looking at you so in other words your just a white person.
Being a "white mutt" I can understand why people want to trace their heritage. My father was adopted and I have no idea where I am "from".
I'm having trouble seeing where you are coming from with your comment, respectfully, why the hate?
People with Scottish or Irish heritage may be able to trace their ancestral roots back to a clan and family coat of arms, why WOULDN'T someone want to know this?
I would LOVE to identify with my ancestors and find any living "relatives".

Not knowing where you come from is kind of a lonely feeling, I would LOVE to find out where my "people" come from and pass that information on to my kids.

Anyway, I don't know maybe I am missing something, I certainly doubt there is some long lost inheritance waiting for me, but I would love to see if I look like any of my ancestors.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalena View Post
I don't know the rest of the country as well but I would suspect similar results in parts of New England and out west like Utah, North Dakota, etc. The mid-atlantic states (pennsylvania, new jersey, new york) and upper midwestern states (Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. ) I believe are much more diverse in ancestry as well as having big populations. I think in these areas you'll find many people of Italian, Polish, Jewish, German, Scandinavian, Greek, etc. ancestry more than in other areas of the country.
A lot of those folks out West are of mixed heritage. Many Germans and Scandinavians from the upper Midwest moved to the Plains and Western states mainly after 1850. In the Southwest your VA migrants frequently mixed with the Hispanic locals. My anglo VA blood got pretty diluted during the great Westward migration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy