Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
UPDATE:

I received/sent off my DNA kit two weeks ago this coming Thursday; Identigene received my packet on the 24th.

No notation on their website that they even received the kit; I called them and they stated that I am looking up to March 24th for my results.
I called a week after I sent my kit in and they said they had it. It was about 2 weeks before it showed up on the website. To let you know they don't put your results on the site either. Not sure why they have that part, if they aren't going to add anything there but checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
I had the ethnology DNA test done ...I was tired of folks thinking I'm a wanna be...I am over 1/4 ndn. But I've been unable to trace to a Dawes roll yet.

My family was VERY secretive.

The names I'm searching in the SE are:
Martin, Nancy AJ born 1834 she married 3 times Lewis Watkins born 1833, Wilson L. Culberson born 1834 and Seaborn Rowell born 1853 (last one is suspicious).

One of Nancy's daughters is Martha Ann/Mattie Watkins she and her son Charles Howard Rowell born 1871 virtually disapear off the census records prior to 1900. Based on my DNA testing Charles was indian and Martha was possibly a mixed breed.

They were all located in GA/AL at one time or another around the muscogee/Harris Co. areas.

My other search is the Reed family Sara Elizabeth McGee brn 1870 IL and John Arthur Reed brn 1867 IN.

It's highly unlikely I'll ever be able to enroll in a tribe but I would like to know my tribal heritage. Unfortunatly DNA testing is not that far along yet. They can only "guesstamate" your % of ndn DNA.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:31 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,700 times
Good idea Mississipienne!
Mine are concentrated in New England, Quebec, Newfoundland, New Brunswick & Nova Scotia and going back to, mostly Ireland and England.
Surnames include:
Donovan
Watson
Cahill
Clark
Amor
Beaupre
Gale
Poor
Roach
Trainor
Yeah, I'm a little Irish

Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
I called a week after I sent my kit in and they said they had it. It was about 2 weeks before it showed up on the website. To let you know they don't put your results on the site either. Not sure why they have that part, if they aren't going to add anything there but checks.
I sent my kit in about January 16th; called Identigene earlier this week and they received the packet on the 24th.

And; Identigene told me that I will be looking up till March 24th for my results.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I sent my kit in about January 16th; called Identigene earlier this week and they received the packet on the 24th.

And; Identigene told me that I will be looking up till March 24th for my results.
Hmm wonder why they said it would take so long for your results..Unless they are that backed up. I got my results back after 5 half weeks. I hope you get it sooner than they are saying. Thats alot of money to dish out and in an email they sent me, I was told the results take 6-8 weeks to be complete. They do have message board on the website you can get on there and type in your complaint to them IDENTIGENE - Message Boards for DNA Testing (broken link)

Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Hmm wonder why they said it would take so long for your results..Unless they are that backed up. I got my results back after 5 half weeks. I hope you get it sooner than they are saying. Thats alot of money to dish out and in an email they sent me, I was told the results take 6-8 weeks to be complete. They do have message board on the website you can get on there and type in your complaint to them IDENTIGENE - Message Boards for DNA Testing
They told that that '6-8 weeks' bit as well when I called Identigene this past Tuesday.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:25 PM

311 posts, read 1,058,164 times
I've never really been that interested in genealogy. I mean there's nothing wrong with knowing information on your ancestors and what happened many years ago but it just never appealed to me.

I might get started in the future, though. Are there any family tree-making programs for Windows that someone could recommend? If I could organize the information better than maybe I'd find it more interesting.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire372~ View Post
I've never really been that interested in genealogy. I mean there's nothing wrong with knowing information on your ancestors and what happened many years ago but it just never appealed to me.

I might get started in the future, though. Are there any family tree-making programs for Windows that someone could recommend? If I could organize the information better than maybe I'd find it more interesting.
Yes you can goto Staples or Office Depot or any department store to pick up the Family Tree Maker software.. or you can goto genealogy.com or rootsweb.com or ancestry.com and buy it through them.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:07 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
I've used the Mormon website and found it very helpful. They also have software you can download to make your family tree for free. FamilySearch.org - Search

Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 PM

Bump.

Still waiting here for my test results; it has been almost 3 weeks now, probably another 2-3 weeks here.

Just letting everyone know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy