Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 10:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

That was then, this is now. There is nothing shameful about being biracial or multiracial, having darker or lighter skin or eyes or hair, etc. In fact, people are more and more accepting and appreciative of the looks of biracial and multiracial people and I think that's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 10:53 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorac0561 View Post
Well we do not know what his mother or father Dna reads. I have a cousin both his parents are Black. Yet his DNA read 38 percent Sub saharian.I look forward to getting my dna results back. I know my maternal side is a mixed group but I am not too familaiar with my father's side.
The DNA ethnicity results are very much an estimate based on an imprecise science, so I would not put much stock in them. For example, Ancestry.com says I'm 55% British, while FTDNA says I'm 0% British. Take it with a large grain of salt. It's an interesting novelty, but nothing more.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:41 AM

375 posts, read 1,096,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Ok, so Channing was born in 1921. She was legally considered a Negro (and probably identified as such on her birth certificate) until at least 1950 had she not "passed".

IMO, this IS a big deal. If the public had learned that she was a Negro, her career would have been destroyed. It must have been very difficult living a life with this secret hanging over head. Personally, I don't want this part of history erased or minimized by the modern concept of "self identification".

Disclosure: My great grandmother passed. My great grandfather abandoned her and their children when he found out she was not "white". Those were difficult and sometimes vicious times. I'm not so willing to casually say "so what?".
Are you sure she would have even had a birth certificate? One of the roadblocks in my research is that Tennessee didn't pass a law requiring the collection of birth data until 1914 and didn't get compliance from all the counties until 1927, I'm sure most of the northeastern states were way ahead of us but I dunno about the rest of the country.

My great grandfather's first wife left him and their infant daughter because the daughter wasn't "white enough". I'm still trying to form a coherent opinion about that. I was born post-civil rights era, I didn't grow up under Jim Crow laws, I went to integrated schools, it's hard to put myself in the footsteps of my ancestors who lived in the don't-ask-don't-tell off-white fringes of white society, I don't really understand their fears because they aren't mine.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:43 AM

393 posts, read 359,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The DNA ethnicity results are very much an estimate based on an imprecise science, so I would not put much stock in them. For example, Ancestry.com says I'm 55% British, while FTDNA says I'm 0% British. Take it with a large grain of salt. It's an interesting novelty, but nothing more.
yes
part is the way the different firms classify different parts of the world too
I did admixture on gedmatch for each one and you should see how different they each are

Old 12-19-2015, 09:54 AM

East_European 9.96%
West_European 38.75%
Mediterranean 19.58%
Neo_African 12.60%
West_Asian 6.98%
South_Asian 0.95%
Northeast_Asian 0.11%
Southeast_Asian 0.38%
East_African 1.68%
Southwest_Asian 1.63%
Northwest_African 1.08%
Palaeo_African 6.31%
Oracle
Oracle-4

dodecad - gedmatch with data from ancestry.com

MDLP project - gedmatch with same data from ancestry.com

Population
Amerindian -
ANE 15.61%
Arctic 0.31%
ASI -
Caucas-Gedrosia 6.94%
EastAsian 0.35%
ENF 33.12%
NearEast 1.22%
Oceanian 0.11%
Paleo-African 0.67%
Siberian -
Subsaharian 21.87%
WHG-UHG 19.80%
Oracle
Oracle-4

Spreadsheet

Old 12-19-2015, 02:42 PM

322 posts, read 707,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorac0561 View Post
Many stories of Black crossing over . Meaning Black who could pass for white doing so.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Channing
That wiki article you referenced states:

"As she was of majority European-American ancestry, Channing continued to identify as white as a performer on Broadway and in Hollywood. She made her claim to African-American ancestry in her autobiography"

When you say "Black crossing over" or as the Creole would say "passe blanc" we are mostly speaking of people with less than 1/2 Sub-Saharan African in actual ancestry, even further less than 1/4 and down to 1/32 quantity in Black ancestors. These people that passed, would do more than that, they would hide their origins, change their names, families etc. Create entire new identities. Many would attribute their darker features to other ethic groups other than Black. Most mixed races individuals with Black extractions, any visible SSA would land them in the "Black" box so to speak. Channing has no visible SSA in her phenotype.

She (Channing) may have crossed communities but not her "race." It states she was majority European ancestry. Her father was part Black and part White, this makes Channing 1/4 Black. She identified with her majority not the system of Jim Crow. Racially speaking a person of primarily Sub-Saharan African stock cannot pass for European. Also bearing in mind, her father's mother (Channings grandmother) was more so than not an African American who possessed a degree of admixture. I would not be surprised if he were around 1/8 Black ancestored.

Channing's father. He does not appear to be the offspring of someone of strong SSA genes.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 12-19-2015 at 02:55 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 03:10 PM

https://genographic.nationalgeograph...e-populations/

I think this page is interesting too

Old 12-19-2015, 03:14 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,303,489 times
In regards to passing and SSA DNA... I found this interesting:

http://www.cell.com/ajhg/fulltext/S0002-9297(14)00476-5

Quote:
Most individuals who have less than 28% African ancestry identify as European American, rather than as African American

Old 12-19-2015, 03:55 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post
yes
part is the way the different firms classify different parts of the world too
I did admixture on gedmatch for each one and you should see how different they each are
This is why I don't care for gedmatch's admixtures. In my case, the results vary too widely. Most of the results pick up both my NA and SS but the estimated percentages are crazy different. However, I am using the admixture by chromosome tool to attempt to identify several matches sharing the same SS segments with me. I will do the same identification with my sister's (more plentiful) NA segments. In essence, I am using the black and Indian segments to point me towards my maternal father's relatives.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:48 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
One can "self-identify" all one wants. Societally you are what you appear to be. If you're walking down the street and are visible African-American, European, Asian or a combination that's what other people are going to think of you as. That may not be fair and it may not be totally correct, but a small percentage of ancestry of a group you have no connection to nor cultural affinity with does not make you a member of that group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy