Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 04:34 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Using this line of thought, my husband, who is 3 percent Sub Saharan African, is black. Boy, will he be surprised to hear this. But you know - one drop and all that.
Did he DNA test? How does he know it's this much? Or does he have a relative he knows to be mixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 05:44 PM

135 posts, read 190,425 times
Quote:
Why would you consider Carol Channing to be "black" and to be "crossing over?" Just curious.
I used her father as a example. He crossed over. He only told his daughter Carol Channing because he didnt want her to be shocked if she had a black child. Did you read about Carol Channing? She had the story in her book.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
In her 2002 autobiography, Channing revealed that her paternal grandmother was black and that she learned of this when she was 16.
Thank you. I thought adding the link woud be self explanatory.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
So what though? How does that make her "black?"

No more than President Obama having a White Mother makes him White.... Its well documented in this country that one drop made you Black. I am not saying I agree with it. I didnt make the rule. Google it. If you had any amount of Black blood during slavery time made you a slave/Black. Thomas Jefferson had children by his wife's half sister who was a slave. Sally Hemming was 75% white. SHe was the illigitimate child of Jefferson's father in law. She was given to Jefferson and his wife as a "gift/property" . She was a slave. She had several children with President Jefferson. They all was born into slavery although they had very little African blood , hence one drop rule.

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Last edited by Lorac0561; 12-15-2015 at 06:05 PM..

Old 12-15-2015, 05:55 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
That's what I'm figuring is right, also. Unfortunately, nobody ever met anyone on my maternal grandfather's side, never knew any of his family and so who knows? And you are right about Cherokee seeming to be THE Indian tribe everyone says they belong to. I know when I lived in Houston every other person was part-Cherokee it seemed.

However, I've had more fun with this 3% than anything lately. Just trying to figure it out has let to some really great conversations at parties so far. Who would have thought dna would be a great ice breaker? LOL!
Once you start discussing dna--since so many only know bits and pieces about the subject--you get lots of opinions and bits of information to put together which makes it interesting and fun for sure. DNA is a fascinating subject for everyone it seems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorac0561 View Post
I feel bad that you seemed disturbed about your 3% Sub Sahran dna. We are all human beings. Of course if you were born during slavery you would be a slave because one drop made you Black in those times. Many Slave owners sold and kept their own children as slaves. It such a ugly part of our history....
Did you even read what you quoted?

"However, I've had more fun with this 3% than anything lately. Just trying to figure it out has let to some really great conversations at parties so far. Who would have thought dna would be a great ice breaker? LOL!

Once you start discussing dna--since so many only know bits and pieces about the subject--you get lots of opinions and bits of information to put together which makes it interesting and fun for sure. DNA is a fascinating subject for everyone it seems."

Tootsie hardly seems "disturbed" about her admixture results.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:59 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
No more than the President having a White Mother makes him White.... Its well documented in this country that one drop make you Black. I am not saying I agree with it. I didnt make the rule. Google it. If you had any amount of Black blood during slavery time made you a slave/Black
The "one drop rule" has been relegated to the history books. DNA can now give us rough estimates of our geographical origins. That has nothing to do with the ethnic groups we choose to identify with, and it does not mean we totally reject the ethnicities which provide only small fractions of our genome.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Did you even read what you quoted?

"However, I've had more fun with this 3% than anything lately. Just trying to figure it out has let to some really great conversations at parties so far. Who would have thought dna would be a great ice breaker? LOL!

Once you start discussing dna--since so many only know bits and pieces about the subject--you get lots of opinions and bits of information to put together which makes it interesting and fun for sure. DNA is a fascinating subject for everyone it seems."

Tootsie hardly seems "disturbed" about her admixture results.
I obviously quoted the wrong post.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow1990 View Post
I have to disagree. Finding out that you have African-American in your ancestry is a whole lot different from finding out that you have Native American ancestry. You can safely say as a white person that you have Native American ancestry and check off white on the box.

It is very different to reveal that you have African American ancestry and state in the same sentence that you are white. This is the result of the legacy of racism in the United States. If Barack Obama said that he wants to identify as white, you know that would not go over well. Whites would not accept him and blacks would be angry. I can understand how you are reasoning this but history tells a different story.
I agree

Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
No more than President Obama having a White Mother makes him White.... Its well documented in this country that one drop made you Black. I am not saying I agree with it. I didnt make the rule. Google it. If you had any amount of Black blood during slavery time made you a slave/Black. Thomas Jefferson had children by his wife's half sister who was a slave. Sally Hemming was 75% white. SHe was the illigitimate child of Jefferson's father in law. She was given to Jefferson and his wife as a "gift/property" . She was a slave. She had several children with President Jefferson. They all was born into slavery although they had very little African blood , hence one drop rule.

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule
The one drop rule is consider outdated and kind of racist. Sally Hemings was a slave because she was born to a slave mother. Also, I don't think it's known just what her ratio of black to white she was. Her mother was of mixed race, and her father was white but the exact portions are unknown. In any case, I'm pretty sure we shouldn't base our current perceptions about race on those from the days of slavery.

Even the wikipedia page you linked to says "The one-drop rule is a social and legal principle of racial classification that was historically prominent in the United States..."

It's a part of history and has nothing to do with modern DNA ethnicity estimates.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:33 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
So what though? How does that make her "black?"
Ok, so Channing was born in 1921. She was legally considered a Negro (and probably identified as such on her birth certificate) until at least 1950 had she not "passed".

IMO, this IS a big deal. If the public had learned that she was a Negro, her career would have been destroyed. It must have been very difficult living a life with this secret hanging over head. Personally, I don't want this part of history erased or minimized by the modern concept of "self identification".

Disclosure: My great grandmother passed. My great grandfather abandoned her and their children when he found out she was not "white". Those were difficult and sometimes vicious times. I'm not so willing to casually say "so what?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy