Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:45 AM

322 posts, read 584,876 times

Advertisements

White people alway talk about their Native American ancestry, so I can't see why black people can't talk about their mixed genes. The one drop rule has made us all think that if you claim anything other than black then you are a hypocrite.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
they could but thanks to the one drop rule which still pretty much kind of influences things, they probably couldn't without some sort of hassle
Really? This is the 2010s NOT the 1910s. If some bigot doesn't like what somebody calls themselves or identifies with because of that person's race, that's the bigot's problem.

As others have said, if he's entitled to use the coat of arms, then he can use the coat of arms, and race has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
All your ancestries make you who you are. Without each of your ancesters you wouldn't exist. African Americans should be able to claim their European ancestry as well as their African ancestry.

Muhammed Ali is proud to recognise his Irish ancestry.

Muhammad Ali made freeman of his ancestral home in Ireland | Mail Online
BBC News - Muhammad Ali's Irish roots recalled as he celebrates 70th birthday

Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
In some cases you have to have permission to use a crest or coat of arms but I don't know what those cases are.
Those rules only apply in parts of Europe and the British Isles. They have lots of rules over there that we would consider nonsensical, but since being a member of a certain family may entitle you to certain hereditary privileges they guard the use of this type of symbol in some countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Most people today don't put much stock in coats of arms--not that I know of in this country anyway.
I do. I am of Irish descent on my father's side and my family coat of arms is a gules boar trippant on a gold field. I wouldn't want someone who wasn't from my family (or who shared my family name which is fairly common) using it, but there's nothing I could do about it legally. I suppose I'd be intrigued if an African-American shared my last name and used the coat of arms, and I'd probably be OK with it.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Funny you should ask. It's not always black people who have an issue with acknowledging mixed genetic heritage. On one of the DNA service websites a black woman was recently posting about how when she contacts people who are confirmed genetic cousins , a lot of the white folks won't communicate with her.
Well yeah, but when my sister tried to contact some other white people in Canada who share our mother's very rare last name, she got no reply. Many people who are contacted by strangers out of the blue on the internet don't respond.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 AM

632 posts, read 933,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
White people alway talk about their Native American ancestry, so I can't see why black people can't talk about their mixed genes. The one drop rule has made us all think that if you claim anything other than black then you are a hypocrite.
I was just having this conversation with a friend yesterday. I say celebrate all one's heritage, regardless of how it came to be.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Really? This is the 2010s NOT the 1910s. If some bigot doesn't like what somebody calls themselves or identifies with because of that person's race, that's the bigot's problem.

As others have said, if he's entitled to use the coat of arms, then he can use the coat of arms, and race has nothing to do with it.
obviously you can't read because i said they could but thanks to the one drop rule which still pretty much kind of influences things,

Not that it still existed but the past influences the presentand race has nothing to do with it? the damn thread is about ancestry how is race not apart of that

Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
If a black cousin contacted me about one of my family surnames, I'd be happy to respond, as I am with all my other cousins. And yes, I do know there would logically be some black cousins around somewhere, maybe even having a surname I'm familiar with. I knew starting out there were slave owners in my ancestry. We're all related in some way or another in this country, one reason I can't understand why racism even exists here.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
obviously you can't read because i said they could but thanks to the one drop rule which still pretty much kind of influences things,

Not that it still existed but the past influences the presentand race has nothing to do with it? the damn thread is about ancestry how is race not apart of that
How does this racist "rule" that was unenforceable even in the American South influence anything today, which is what you are claiming? Blacks who were light enough have been "passing" into white society for hundreds of years, and if they could pass for white and nobody knew what their ancestry was, how were they identified as "black" even in the South?

Having 1 black ancestor 5 or 6 generations back doesn't make you black any more than having 1 Jewish or Native American ancestor that far back makes you Jewish or Native American.

If a black person today wants to be proclaim his/her European ancestry, that's his/her business. If he/she doesn't, that's his/her business, too. Not yours. Not mine. Certainly NOT the US government's business.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:

Influence isn't a given however, and each person has the option to choose if they want it to matter. My dad's family is almost all southern, not with money but from all over the south. I wouldn't be surprised if the family geneology wouldn't bring them up but is someone turned out to be black and a direct cousin I'd be happy to make contact. I'm looking for my first cousins who I lost contact after my uncle died and think I found them on Ancestry and am hoping, so even more recent family can easily get 'lost'.

I know I have Scots ancestors and would LOVE to find out the proper tartan and make something with it as extended family. Its a tie to the past even if there is likely not way I'll ever get to Scotland (which I'd love to see).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy