Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:12 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Pelorojos (redheads) were killed during the Inquisition because the red hair was evidence of contact with the Devil through the singed appearance of their hair.

My people are mostly Norse with a smattering of British Isles and my husband Dutch-Norwegian. Our son was born with carrot-top hair. Surprise! In his youth it became copper-colored and now is strawberry blond.

He was teased mercilessly in grade school for his red hair. Poor kid.

[bolded part] Now that could explain why I like that new tv show, "Lucifer"

The red hair gene is on my Dad's side of the family. My Dad's Dad had some red hair, as did his sister and one of her daughters. When some of the guys in the family let beards grow, there's evidence of a red copper glow. My hair in the summer gets lighter with goldish strands. When sun or some kind of light shine on my head, any time of the year, I can see the reddish - copper color of the curls in my shoulder length hair.

For the record, my Father's family is of Scottish-Irish descent.
Also, I'm fairly light skinned. Hardly tan. Burn more than tans
Light colored eyes. Very sensitive to bright lights.
Pain threshold: ? I'm not so sure there. Seems all those things that are supposed to help make you sleep and all work fairly well on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,423,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
If you have red hair, or if one of your closest relatives does, it can tell you a lot about your early ancestry.

The genetic causes, ethnic origins and history of red hair - Eupedia
True! I am of English and Dutch ancestry and I'm a redhead and so does some of my sibling. Mine is now more of a light auburn, while my siblings tends towards the "orange" color. My red hair is from the English side, precisely from Yorksires region, which is the region of Britain with the highest numbers of red hair genes in England.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:10 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,803 times
Yorkshire has the most Viking ancestry in Britain, bar Shetland ( in Scotland) Yorvik is the Viking name for York, Ouse, the big river is Celtic

Old 04-17-2016, 03:39 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
When I was little my hair was
platinum blonde....
Then at about 12 it suddenly
naturally turned red
I lightened it as a teen......

My sons are redheads &
my daughters are natural blondes.....
Nevertheless redheads have
crazy tempers.....
It's true

Old 04-23-2016, 07:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
When I was little my hair was
platinum blonde....
Then at about 12 it suddenly
naturally turned red
I lightened it as a teen......

My sons are redheads &
my daughters are natural blondes.....
Nevertheless redheads have
crazy tempers.....
It's true
One of my brothers was like that. Gerber baby blonde until puberty, and then when he entered puberty...boom!...his hair curled and turned red. It was the strangest thing. He also grayed very early. I was born with medium red hair, and it has stayed red, although a few grays are starting to creep in at the temples now that I'm facing fifty.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Yorkshire has the most Viking ancestry in Britain, bar Shetland ( in Scotland) Yorvik is the Viking name for York, Ouse, the big river is Celtic
No it doesn't. All these areas of Britain have higher Viking ancestry than Yorkshire.
Shetland
Orkneys
Caithness
Manx
Western Isles
North-West Scotland and Inner Herbrides

Old 04-26-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Red hair isn't really linked to Viking lineage due to the fact that Yorkshire has a much higher frequency of red hair than Scandinavian countries.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:17 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,217 times
My daughter has medium strawberry blond hair, blue eyes and pail skin. Her father had blue eyes, blond hair, and a really red beard. I have hazel eyes with quite a bit of blue sprinkled in and dark brown hair and medium skin tone with yellow overcast. Daughter and her dad have pink overcast in their skin. Both the dad and I need a lot of numbing with dental work and one dentist told me he knew that just looking at my coloring (I am 100% silver white now with pale skin in my 60's) Bless him! Other dentists waste time trying to get me numb with a little at a time because they don't believe me.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:24 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times
Can anyone tell me why it's just the formerly red (orange) areas of my beard
that went gray in my 40s, while the brown areas are still brown ?
I also have some blond hairs, which haven't gone gray yet, only the reds did.

Do red-heads go gray younger than than browns and blonds ?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Can anyone tell me why it's just the formerly red (orange) areas of my beard
that went gray in my 40s, while the brown areas are still brown ?
I also have some blond hairs, which haven't gone gray yet, only the reds did.

Do red-heads go gray younger than than browns and blonds ?
Not as a group. My red-haired brother starting graying in his mid-thirties and within ten years was completely gray. I'm nearly fifty, and I'm just now starting to see a few white strands at my temples. Otherwise, my hair is as red as ever. Our father didn't start to gray until his fifties and wasn't completely gray (actually white) until he hit sixty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy