Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 05:26 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s potential is a lot more than crime, it could be insurance companies looking at your DNA to decide how much to charge you based on diseases you don’t even have yet but might be likely to develop. You can’t just open the door a little bit, it always ends up getting pushed open farther.
Have you actually used Gedmatch? One's raw DNA data is not accessible by others. With someone kit number, all someone can do is see if they share DNA with you, or run your kit number through the admixture (ethnicity) reports. There is no medical information on Gedmatch, and no one (unless they hack your account or get your password, which is illegal), can access your raw DNA data to download it and then upload it somewhere that does include medical data. It seems to me you don't really know much (or anything at all) about how Gedmatch works.

Regardless, US GINA law prohibits health insurance companies from discriminating based on DNA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneti...rimination_Act
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 05:28 PM

661 posts, read 879,799 times
Gedmatch just issued a Privacy Warning, after their website was used by Law Enforcement in order to arrest this serial killer:
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/d...220259415.html

Old 04-27-2018, 06:42 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
i just read an article that states it was a free genealogy website, I read one yesterday that said otherwise.
Yep it's free and it's clear that if you do upload your raw data you are pretty much putting it into the public domain because anyone that matches you has your Gedmatch number and can run it through and of the utilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Forensic Genealogy used to track criminals down?-ged.png  

Old 04-27-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Yep it's free and it's clear that if you do upload your raw data you are pretty much putting it into the public domain because anyone that matches you has your Gedmatch number and can run it through and of the utilities.
I think you can only phase your own kits. I remember someone having trouble trying to phase their kit with their mother, but their mother had her kit on her own account, so she couldn't. Both kits had to be on the same account to do. But yeah, otherwise, you can run anyone's kit through any of the other utilities (though none of them are medical) and the raw DNA data can't be accessed.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:14 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Have you actually used Gedmatch? One's raw DNA data is not accessible by others. With someone kit number, all someone can do is see if they share DNA with you, or run your kit number through the admixture (ethnicity) reports. There is no medical information on Gedmatch, and no one (unless they hack your account or get your password, which is illegal), can access your raw DNA data to download it and then upload it somewhere that does include medical data. It seems to me you don't really know much (or anything at all) about how Gedmatch works.

Regardless, US GINA law prohibits health insurance companies from discriminating based on DNA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneti...rimination_Act
I don’t know how any of it works, I only know what the article said. This guy never downloaded his DNA st all. What are you so upset about can’t uou have a discussion?

Old 04-27-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I don’t know how any of it works,
Then maybe you shouldn't be making such assertions about it.

Quote:
I only know what the article said. This guy never downloaded his DNA st all. What are you so upset about can’t uou have a discussion?
I'm not upset, but you are massively misunderstanding pretty much everything that is being said and making some very inaccurate assumptions and statements about something you admittedly know nothing about. You really can't expect people to not call you out on it and correct you. I have discussions all the time, but it is rather difficult to have a discussion with someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:02 PM

661 posts, read 879,799 times
Quote:
I don’t know how any of it works, I only know what the article said. This guy never downloaded his DNA st all. What are you so upset about can’t uou have a discussion?
Oh is pretty easy. The cops have the DNA raw data from the felon, collected from his blood, hair or body fluids. They hire a computer expert, and this computer expert transform this raw data into Ancestry, 23andme or FTDNA files. They go to Gedmatch and create a fake account, upload this file and compare this DNA information to million of DNA files already at Gedmatch.
If they find a relative, they get their e-mail address, they get a subpoena from the Court and get the user's information from the e-mail server, such as Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.
With that information they can get your drivers license, biometrics, and such, and of course, any relatives who matches to the felon, for example if you have an uncle who looks similar or used to live near the crime scene. Then they get his DNA from his trash can: used q-tips, used napkins, toilet paper, etc.
If this DNA is a 100% match, this is the guy !
They need an arrest warrant now.
Piece of cake.

Last edited by ozarknation; 04-27-2018 at 08:11 PM..

Old 04-27-2018, 08:33 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
It's a really clever solution, even if it doesn't quite sit right with everyone. Michelle McNamara floated it in I'll Be Gone in the Dark, and she'd been speaking extensively with Paul Holes for the book. She might not have been the first or only person to come up with the idea, but even so, it's a shame she passed away before she could see her suggestion come to fruition.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:58 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Oh is pretty easy. The cops have the DNA raw data from the felon, collected from his blood, hair or body fluids. They hire a computer expert, and this computer expert transform this raw data into Ancestry, 23andme or FTDNA files. They go to Gedmatch and create a fake account, upload this file and compare this DNA information to million of DNA files already at Gedmatch.
If they find a relative, they get their e-mail address, they get a subpoena from the Court and get the user's information from the e-mail server, such as Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.
With that information they can get your drivers license, biometrics, and such, and of course, any relatives who matches to the felon, for example if you have an uncle who looks similar or used to live near the crime scene. Then they get his DNA from his trash can: used q-tips, used napkins, toilet paper, etc.
If this DNA is a 100% match, this is the guy !
They need an arrest warrant now.
Piece of cake.
What if the emails are fake? How would they deal with that?

Old 04-27-2018, 09:29 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Your identity is not as protected as you would like. Unless you visit websites using a public access such as Starbuck, the library, etc., your IP address can be traced to a physical address and eventually to you.

Even public access such as Starbuck, the library, etc. won't protect your identity. Say you log on to CD from a Starbuck. LE can trace your post to the Starbuck at the exact time it was posted. They can then look at surveillance cameras at that Starbuck to find you.
I have a VPN, it's untrackable the service I subscribe to does not maintain logs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy