Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:50 AM

7,004 posts, read 11,301,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I'm kind of surprised by this assertion; dietary needs (like Kosher meat) and language (Yiddish) were transcended across the Pale and came with them to NY.

I just checked the 1900 census. Since they had been in the US for almost 15 years, they may have been more comfortable mingling... but all their neighbors were from different parts of Eastern Europe. Some neighbors listed Russian Poland, some list Austria, a few families from Galacia, and my husband's great-great grandparents list Russia as their country of origin.
These may not be very different places at all. Poland was divided up between Austria-Hungary, Prussia, and Russia. Galacia was a mostly Polish ethnic region that was part of Austria-Hungary. Were all/most of the families Jewish?

Just a shot in the dark, but you may want to check out the parts of Poland that were annexed by Russia if that seems to be who your ancestors choose to live around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitions_of_Poland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 10:03 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,745 times
Quote:
I'm kind of surprised by this assertion; dietary needs (like Kosher meat) and language (Yiddish) were transcended across the Pale and came with them to NY.

I just checked the 1900 census. Since they had been in the US for almost 15 years, they may have been more comfortable mingling... but all their neighbors were from different parts of Eastern Europe. Some neighbors listed Russian Poland, some list Austria, a few families from Galacia, and my husband's great-great grandparents list Russia as their country of origin.

It is true that upon first arriving the new immigrants usually headed to a relative or someone from their shtetl. There are streets on the Lower East Side where all the Galitzianers lived, and others where the Litvaks lived.

That could change as people had the money to leave the Lower East Side and head uptown, or to Brooklyn or The Bronx.

Some familiy's tended to continue to live close together, and other family's seemed to deliberately get as far away from each other as possible. LOL

Old 05-17-2018, 10:10 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,745 times
Quote:
I can't find the passenger manifest at all. The last name is not common, and I looked at some possible variations. This set of great-great grandparents were married in Europe and came to the US as a young couple with their toddler son (who was my husband's great-grandfather). They went on to have 7 or 8 more children in the US.

The great-grandfather married in the US. I cannot find his marriage license anywhere. My husband's great-grandparents had 7 or 8 children as well, and I know many of them married because my FIL has a horde of cousins.

Have you checked manifests from ports other than NY? Ancestry has some good manifest databases, and a strong soundex search engine. If you don't subscribe to Ancestry than check if your public library offers free access on their computers.

Do you want to let us know the surname of ggf so that some of us can try to search?

Do you have the original first names of gggp's & ggf?

Was ggf married in NYC?

Old 05-17-2018, 11:57 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
This will sound strange: Check vital records from the Lutheran churches located in Germany & Prussia.

During the mid 1800’s there was an immigration law that permitted Jews to function in business with the same rights as citizens; if they registered with the Lutheran Church.

It is frequently referred to as the “Evangelisch” Church as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy