Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 10:43 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
In one of the later episodes an adopted son decides to trace his DNA and contact matches. The sole responding match wants a kidney.

Things like this may be why people are hesitant.
That’s a fictional TV show. I’m not saying it can never happen in real life, but it would be rare and it’d be a little paranoid to not respond because of something portrayed in a fictional show. Besides, if it ever does happen, you can always just say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 11:55 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I did call and they looked while I was on the phone and said there was only record of one baby born in Fort Smith that day, a female, but it was not my mother because it was a different name.
Be aware in adoptions sometimes there was collusion on part of those reporting "the facts". I know of one adoption facilitating doctor who colluded with a county clerk & used false names and birthdates on birth records.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:10 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That’s a fictional TV show. I’m not saying it can never happen in real life, but.....
Agreed.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:43 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Found a shared match with 7 cMs. They have a tree with 190k people. Lo and behold, we have a common ancestor. I quickly connected the dots and sent a message to introduce myself, thank them for all their hard work and encourage them to see my line. They log in daily. They read my message within a few minutes of me sending it. Nothing. I don't even get people. I'd at least send a message back and say thank you for making the connection.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:12 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Found a shared match with 7 cMs. They have a tree with 190k people. Lo and behold, we have a common ancestor. I quickly connected the dots and sent a message to introduce myself, thank them for all their hard work and encourage them to see my line. They log in daily. They read my message within a few minutes of me sending it. Nothing. I don't even get people. I'd at least send a message back and say thank you for making the connection.
I'd do the same, acknowledge the message in some way. I can't believe the number of people that read but don't reply.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:54 AM

29 posts, read 15,325 times
I respond when I can, but I work for a living and don't spend my whole life haunting Ancestry, 23andMe, and the like. Pretty sure others are in the same boat. If you reach out and they don't answer then all you can do is shrug your shoulders and try a different path of research.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:07 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Oh. It’s been a bit since I updated this. I added a few of the things from this tree snd inquired in a Facebook group with lots of people in the homeland. Turns out this guy’s research is inaccurate and is based on the rapid clicking and adding of hints. I sent a f/u message. Still nothing. Dude read the message. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy