Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:00 AM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times

Advertisements

I think of all of these various tools as part of a kit. Just like a tool box at home, not every tool is suited for every job, and some tools in the box may be overkill for the task at hand, or be something an individual hasn't been taught how to use yet.

Autoclusters is probably not going to show much value unless you have a very well drawn out family tree and/or you come from an endogamous community where it helps to visually see the interconnections between your cousins. If you have a very detailed family tree, you have a better chance at finding someone in the cluster that shares a surname in their family tree, or common place of origin and thus conclude the cluster is showing you cousins descended from that family line. For instance, my biggest autocluster is clearly the descendants of colonial era Catholic ancestors who moved en masse to Western Maryland around the time of the Revolutionary War. I have a solid paper trail on these colonial ancestors, so I know that cluster are Porter/McKenzie descendants.

If you or an ancestor come from an endogamous community, it is really hard, if not impossible, to sort out the exact relationship between two people because you aren't looking for one common ancestor, you are looking at a number of them. Autoclusters helps visually sort these people into groups, that at least in the case of my wife, link up very well to specific Aegean islands, which is just as interesting and useful, just in a different way.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-21-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 10:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
They may have redone autoclusters because I have closer matches in my new one; so you guys may want to consider reordering them. I didn't have my 2 cousins from my grandmothers sisters side but they're there now. I'm helping one of the cousins; he just sent me his, I'm on it, so is my cousin. We're between 2nd and 3rd cousins.

Quote:
Your AutoCluster analysis was generated using thresholds of cM (minimum) and 25 cM (maximum). In addition, DNA Matches were required to share at least cM 350 10 with one another in order to be indicated with a colored or gray cell. A total number of DNA Matches ended up in clusters in the final analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy