Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:08 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Odd, I figured your recent Euro-ancestry would have lead to bigger, tighter clusters. Anyone else getting easily recognizable groups, either by ethnicity, known descent, or other recognizable trait? Anyone else getting larger clusters?
What's funny is my son got my cousin from my mothers mothers sisters line but I didn't. The one I thought was from her fathers brothers, I looked at it better, looks like it's her married name so that one is out. I don't know any of them.

My son and his grandmother got over 25 clusters. I still have to look at them. I know 2 of my son's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 12:32 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
I'm really seeing this as a way to pinpoint the chunk of relatives that are related in someway, but until they all have trees or a common ancestor it's really unhelpful or me. A lot of this I already did when I got my initial results. With that said, it will be helpful for those who just recently got their results or are just starting to do research. I have uploaded my kit and both of my parents kits. I've been sick the last few days so I will be digging a bit deeper today.

Mine shows:

Quote:
Cluster 1: 17 members
Cluster 2: 13 members
Cluster 3: 11 members
Cluster 4: 9 members
Cluster 5: 8 members
Cluster 6: 7 members
Cluster 7: 6 members
Cluster 8: 4 members
Cluster 9: 4 members
Cluster 10: 4 members
Cluster 11: 4 members
Cluster 12: 4 members
Cluster 13: 3 members
Cluster 14: 3 members
Cluster 15: 3 members
Cluster 16: 3 members
Cluster 17: 3 members
Cluster 18: 3 members
Cluster 19: 3 members
Cluster 20: 3 members
Cluster 21: 3 members
Cluster 22: 3 members
Cluster 23: 3 members
Cluster 24: 3 members
I can identify my father's largest cluster as being the Jewish descendants of his Great-Great grandparents but I still can't get beyond his initial grandparents who moved to the US from Pokand. My father's shows
Quote:
Cluster 1: 13 members
Cluster 2: 10 members
Cluster 3: 9 members
Cluster 4: 7 members
Cluster 5: 7 members
Cluster 6: 6 members
Cluster 7: 5 members
Cluster 8: 5 members
Cluster 9: 5 members
Cluster 10: 4 members
Cluster 11: 4 members
Cluster 12: 4 members
Cluster 13: 4 members
Cluster 14: 3 members
Cluster 15: 3 members
Cluster 16: 3 members
Cluster 17: 3 members
Cluster 18: 3 members
Cluster 19: 3 members
Cluster 20: 3 members
Cluster 21: 3 members
Cluster 22: 3 members
Cluster 23: 3 members
Cluster 24: 3 members
Cluster 25: 3 members
Cluster 26: 3 members
and my mother's shows

Quote:
Cluster 1: 13 members
Cluster 2: 9 members
Cluster 3: 5 members
Cluster 4: 5 members
Cluster 5: 4 members
Cluster 6: 3 members
Cluster 7: 3 members
Cluster 8: 3 members
Cluster 9: 3 members
Cluster 10: 3 members

Old 03-03-2019, 02:11 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Hmmm..........I'm seeing something very different. I think I am looking at the most parsimonious grouping of an endogamic community, or communities.

Here is my wife's grandma

https://screenshots.firefox.com/kctdbzpnAvWNuLg8/null

As you can see, even between the large clusters, there are grey dots representing DNA connections. The yellow cluster is my wife's island, Fourni. You can see the people from that island share DNA with both the red and orange cluster whose members are from other islands. Red (Ikaria) and Orange (Kalymnos) clusters have shared DNA too........but I know a few members of that red cluster are mis-IDed, and belong in yellow.

Here is my wife's.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/1w01dgw8qmyZKRe7/null

Nearly all the same people (got rid of names for anonymity) but clustered a bit differently. Very easy to see home island in yellow sharing connections with the larger islands in red and orange. This clustering makes it clear that red and orange have fewer DNA connections with each other than either does with yellow (now that the misidentified folks in red are correctly grouped with yellow.) She has a small cluster that I believe to be from the island of Samos (a couple great-greats from there) and a few others that could represent novel origins not found in grandma (although I know many of the other small clusters are admixed folks with roots on the three big island groups shown.)

All this is solid gold for me and my research, which isn't about trying to ID common ancestors (fool's errand, too much endogamy,) but rather common places of origin in the founding population of the island represented by the yellow cluster.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:15 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times
My top 3 clusters have 16, 8, and 7 members and go down from there.

The first two should be one cluster and together with some smaller ones are all related through ancestor line "C". Not surprising since I descend from the "C" line three different ways.

The third cluster belongs to ancestor line "G". I see a few other clusters with members I can identify from individual lines.

All the above are paternal clusters heavily concentrated in Georgia.

Some of the small clusters are people who all match on the same segment. Of all 17 clusters I can identify only one as maternal, my colonial New Hampshire "B" line, which while old, is concentrated on one large segment of 53 cM.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 AM

My family's Autoclusters arrived today. Interesting, but not like my wifes. My AJ ancestor screams through loud and clear, my biggest group (and several small clusters) of cousins are Ashkenazi Jews. Since I have my mom, maternal grandma, and maternal great-uncle, It should be pretty easy to ID which line each other cluster is from. There is some evidence of shared connections between groups, which I will hypothesis are the ancestral lines with the deepest roots in my home county........lots of time to create multiple shared ancestors.

As expected, my maternal grandma with "only" 170 or so years of ancestry here has the fewest of these cousins with multiple connections to other cousins.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:22 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
i wish i could understand this, yes I an ab offspring of a bastard child, My y does not match my male tree, but somehow i still have some family dna, so i assume it was from a female and had a snake in the woodpile and kept the maiden name

Old 03-04-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i wish i could understand this, yes I an ab offspring of a bastard child, My y does not match my male tree, but somehow i still have some family dna, so i assume it was from a female and had a snake in the woodpile and kept the maiden name
That is very possible. My grandfather was a bastard child and took his mother's name. Of course this surname was not my grandfather's maternal family either as his mom was a bastard child who took the name of her siblings' father and not her own dad's. Her father was a Lithuanian Jewish man who lived in town for a few years before moving on. My great-grandmother had told people this story before, and nobody in the family believed her. DNA proved her right 40+ years after her death.

So, yes, that makes DNA results confusing. My Y-line is not my last name. My last name is from a person who was not my ancestor, and I am related to no one (except immediate family) through it.

I can't recall if you took a DNA test, or not, but the cousins matches from these tests are very helpful in sorting this all out, especially if you already have some paper records.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:05 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
You and me both. I was in their FB group today, there are a lot of posts on it. They mostly say you have to read the "read me" file in order to understand it so that's what I'm going to do next.

I think it would have been more helpful had they included a good match like they did with my son matching my great aunt V's grand daughter. I'll have to look at his to see if there are names in that block that are also on my list.

My uncle got 29 clusters which is the most on all my accounts. Will be a cold day in hell before I figure them out lol

Old 03-04-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You and me both. I was in their FB group today, there are a lot of posts on it. They mostly say you have to read the "read me" file in order to understand it so that's what I'm going to do next.

I think it would have been more helpful had they included a good match like they did with my son matching my great aunt V's grand daughter. I'll have to look at his to see if there are names in that block that are also on my list.

My uncle got 29 clusters which is the most on all my accounts. Will be a cold day in hell before I figure them out lol
I've been thinking about that. Check the report to see what the cM range was for your results. It seems to default is 350cM to about 15-25cM. I believe they do this to exclude the closest kin........who should autocluster together because of being such close kin. I think the point of the tool as designed (for most at least) is to try and group more distantly related cousins together.

So, you may be too close of a match to your great aunt's granddaughter (2nd cousin?), while you son slipped under the cM range.

I am interested to hear if any of our Ashkenazi Jewish contributors find this utility helpful. After looking at 7 of these suckers, I am of the feeling they might be most useful to those trying to make sense of endogamous communities.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:42 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Been going through my own clusters, they were:

Cluster 1: 16 members

Cluster 2: 14 members

Cluster 3: 14 members

Cluster 4: 11 members

Cluster 5: 8 members
Cluster 6: 8 members

Cluster 7: 7 members
Cluster 8: 4 members

Cluster 9: 4 members
Cluster 10: 3 members
Cluster 11: 3 members

Cluster 12: 3 members
Cluster 13: 3 members

My grandfather only had 8 clusters

Cluster 1: 18 members
Cluster 2: 10 members
Cluster 3: 7 members
Cluster 4: 6 members
Cluster 5: 5 members
Cluster 6: 4 members
Cluster 7: 4 members
Cluster 8: 3 members

I recognized his first 3 clusters as being 1-2 our Morgan/Bass line and Cluster 3 are our Enos/Allison lines of his maternal ancestry.

4 and 5 also look like they are related to Morgan/Bass though based on me having nearly all of them painted in DNA Painter

Cluster 6 looks like a PA branch that is mysterious that I'm researching.

All his first 6 clusters are maternal.

The last two are his paternal line. Cluster 8 is his paternal grandmother's cluster and I'm not sure of Cluster 7 as his paternal grandfather is a mystery himself (basically disappeared in 1940 - my 2nd great grandmother died in the 1970s and her obit said that he was living in NC but I think that the family lied about that to save face - this side of my family are "really" into their reputation. They were shocked I discovered that the grandma who died in the 1970s had a child before getting with my 2nd great grandfather by another man - found the birth certificate AND I don't believe she ever married my 2nd great grandfather - which is why he is a mystery. They lived in IN when my great grandfather and his older brother were born but I've never found a marriage record for them in IN, KY, MI, IL, or OH).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy