Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 08:22 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times

Advertisements

If you can locate them in the family tree, they are family although some are more favored than others.

Through the power of the internet, Facebook and Kentucky ancestors who married within the family so many times that I don't even truly know the many ways I'm related to myself, I've become involved with a group of cousins that are probably on average 5th-6th cousins X times removed. It been interesting to find that we share a similar sense of humor and have some other common quirks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 09:56 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I consider myself “related” to everyone that’s on my Ancestry list. However, if my parents know them, no matter how distant, I consider them family. So, like first cousins a few times removed up to 3rd cousin for me. My father is close to his cousins, so their kids and their kids’ kids are kind of where I draw the line. So, my dad has cousins who have kids who are in their late 20s-early 30s and they have kids. I have them in my tree and actively keep track of that, but much more then that, unless it’s a cool relationship (like the British royal family is super distant and I joke about them being cousins) I don’t consider them “family.” Yes, we are related, but no, we are not family.
ame - anyone that is on my tree and related by blood and not marriage is family!!!

Old 02-09-2020, 09:57 AM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
It would depend on if there is actually a real-life relationship between these people based on family bond. Someone can be a relative, but not really 'family'. As an example, some people have ties with their second cousins and would reasonably call them 'family' but others have no idea who their second cousins are.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:59 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
For example, do you still consider 4th cousins as family? 6th cousins? How about 10th cousins?

I know they are still "technically" related, but sometimes I feel like calling a 10th cousin a family member is stretching it. On the other hand, a 4th cousin is obviously more closely related since it means our Great-Grandparents are 1st cousins, so I still consider them part of my family.

Where do you draw the line as far as considering somebody as family or a cousin?
Going by my DNA matches on Ancestry, yes, I consider what they list as 4th to 6th cousins family; in a related sort of way, not as we grew up together family. We're related thru my maternal grandfathers brothers or my maternal grandmothers sisters. The next group, 5th–8th I have not identified yet nor have I identified any of the distant cousin matches.

Quote:
I consider myself “related” to everyone that’s on my Ancestry list. However, if my parents know them, no matter how distant, I consider them family. So, like first cousins a few times removed up to 3rd cousin for me. My father is close to his cousins, so their kids and their kids’ kids are kind of where I draw the line. So, my dad has cousins who have kids who are in their late 20s-early 30s and they have kids. I have them in my tree and actively keep track of that, but much more then that, unless it’s a cool relationship (like the British royal family is super distant and I joke about them being cousins) I don’t consider them “family.” Yes, we are related, but no, we are not family.
Good point, there's "family" such as growing up together and being related which are 2 different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I too have a small family and genealogy is interesting so I'm happy to hear from distant cousins, especially if they have family photos to share so I can look for family resemblances.

Recently had email convo with distant branch of family that moved out west and became Mormons (my family is 50% non-religious). Photos of them showed beautiful people, much better looking than anyone in my close family.

I have no first cousins due to no child-bearing aunts and uncles (2 priests, gay uncle, father only child trifecta) but my first cousins once-removed (my fathers cousins) have always been like older cousins. As long as distant cousins don't ask for money (or a kidney OMG) and are not KKK I'd like to know who they are. Send photos lol.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My grandmother was one of a dozen kids. We had big family reunions so I knew quite a few relatives. Once that generation died off, I lost ties with their families. I know my father's siblings and their children. However, I don't really like them. I consider them to be family in an abstract way, not as a real contact - like please don't show up at my door way.

Second cousins are too far removed. However, if they are nice, I wouldn't mind them as friends.
Too bad we can't pick our family because the only one I'd pick would be my dad. Having said that, I have met some cousins who's grandmother was my maternal grandmothers sister that I click really well with,

Old 02-09-2020, 12:04 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
If you live in Hawaii, you can pick your family. It's called 'hanai' family or 'calabash cousins'. I think there's even some legal support for it, but I've not looked into it.

On a day to day basis, if I have their email address and we at least send holiday cards back and forth and have some however distant blood relationship, then they are 'family'. There's also the hanai family that has been collected over the years, they generally start out as 'cousins' and get upgraded to closer family later if warranted. Or fall off the radar, depending on things.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:36 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Depends on the relationship.

Example: I have two maternal cousins, one is the daughter of one of my mom's sisters. The other is the son of one of my mom's brothers. Female cousin and I grew up in the same area and for most of our childhoods, saw each other once a week. Male cousin did not grow up in the same area as us, and I probably saw him every other year growing up. Now, I obviously consider them both family, even though my relationship with one is closer than the other.

Now, eventually both cousins married and started families of their own. Female cousin's children, I saw frequently before I reached adulthood and joined the Army. They would get excited when I was coming into town. Male cousin's children, I have never met. One of male cousin's children is now an adult, married, and with two children of his own. I don't even know their names.

Am I still related to male cousin's children as much as I am to female cousin's children? Obviously, yes--but I have no relationship with his children. We wouldn't know each other if we passed each other on the street. For all I know, they don't even have any idea I exist. But I would consider female cousin's children to be family, and male cousin's children to be strangers.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:59 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
It’s kind of cool to find out your beloved Aunt by marriage is actually a cousin. Like way removed but still. I’ve had a couple of those distant kissin’ cousin marriages in my tree. Those are the distant cousins I care about.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:40 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
That's how I feel about it too - I don't really consider anyone I or my parents don't personally know to be family. Being distantly related doesn't make someone family.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:46 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
...About 30 yards!

Old 02-10-2020, 09:04 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
3rd cousins, I consider family. Don't know most of my 3rd cousins or many of my 2nd cousins but I do know few due to proximity. So I would consider upto 3rd cousins as family. after that you are a stranger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy