Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 11:35 PM

13 posts, read 10,444 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love old photos. I really like to look into the person's eyes. You can see so much about the person just by looking into their eyes. If anyone has photos I'd sure love to see them.

The younger guy with the hat is Hosea Moore
The older guy is John Cox. You can see his name on the photo. These men are ancestors of some friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Check out this old photo-hosea-moore-1840.jpg   Check out this old photo-john-cox-1794-1884.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 11:11 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I enjoy looking at the old photos too. I belong to several genealogy groups on facebook in which people will talk about and post photos of their ancestors. Life was so different in eras of the past and you try to imagine what the person's life was like.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:38 AM

10 posts, read 6,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson165
I absolutely love old photos.
Yes i love them for thier beautiful analogue look compared to sterile digital... It really makes them shine seeing a pic from back then!! (In person even better)

Thank you for sharing this one!

Old 05-22-2022, 09:18 AM

19 posts, read 17,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I enjoy looking at the old photos too. I belong to several genealogy groups on facebook in which people will talk about and post photos of their ancestors. Life was so different in eras of the past and you try to imagine what the person's life was like.
What are some of the groups you belong to? I'm looking into genealogy and enjoying it. I'd like to learn more about it.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:29 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibledad50 View Post
What are some of the groups you belong to? I'm looking into genealogy and enjoying it. I'd like to learn more about it.
Do a search on Facebook using the name of your state or, in some cases, using one of the surnames in your family. I'm in one or two groups for CT genealogy and one for a surname in which they compare our DNA and try to figure out the common ancestor/s and share history, pictures, stories. I used to be in a wonderful group for Yorkshire, UK, but that evaporated when Ancestry became a thing. It was under the GENUKI umbrella, such as GENUKI Scotland, GENUKI England. The groups are great if you have an ancestor in another part of the country because there will be people in the group who live there and can tell you about it.
When they live in a different country altogether, people will take photos for you and you can get an idea of what it was like where they lived, people might be distantly related to you and share the names they have so you can see if they are a fit. You can even use Google to find things but for specific groups, now most of them that I know of seem to be on FB. Good luck and have fun!

Old 05-22-2022, 12:02 PM

19 posts, read 17,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Do a search on Facebook using the name of your state or, in some cases, using one of the surnames in your family. I'm in one or two groups for CT genealogy and one for a surname in which they compare our DNA and try to figure out the common ancestor/s and share history, pictures, stories. I used to be in a wonderful group for Yorkshire, UK, but that evaporated when Ancestry became a thing. It was under the GENUKI umbrella, such as GENUKI Scotland, GENUKI England. The groups are great if you have an ancestor in another part of the country because there will be people in the group who live there and can tell you about it.
When they live in a different country altogether, people will take photos for you and you can get an idea of what it was like where they lived, people might be distantly related to you and share the names they have so you can see if they are a fit. You can even use Google to find things but for specific groups, now most of them that I know of seem to be on FB. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you!!

Old 05-22-2022, 03:23 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibledad50 View Post
Start with what you know about your family and work back slowly one generation at a time.

Try searching the free site www.familysearch.org

Family Search has all the U.S. Federal census 1790 - 1950. (1950 was just made public a few weeks ago.)
They have passenger manifests, naturalization records, and so much more.

Keep in mind that names may have been spelled differently in the past than what you may expect. That's where a soundex search comes in so handy.

Remember to come back and tell us what you discover.

Good luck.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:17 PM

10 posts, read 6,344 times
Smile  

I wonder how far back I could trace my family line if I really got into it??

Sounds interesting.. I have heard really we are all related...... (Thats in the bible so I dunno)

Old 05-30-2022, 09:50 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
I "inherited" a mother lode of old photos and postcards after my father's death in 2019. It kills my soul that I know they are my OK kin but in general, I cannot identify the individuals in the pictures. I do know that this line has a Facebook page but I haven't yet joined. Anyway, the postcards are priceless! Although the messages were written in pencil (faded) there is one that brings a smile to my face. It was sent by my 2nd great grandfather from Ok to my grandmother in Wildwood FL (1910).

"Dear child what is wrong with your mother she didn't answer my long letter hope you are well all well her writ and let us her. A.K." Some things never change.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:14 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,155,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I "inherited" a mother lode of old photos and postcards after my father's death in 2019. It kills my soul that I know they are my OK kin but in general, I cannot identify the individuals in the pictures. I do know that this line has a Facebook page but I haven't yet joined. Anyway, the postcards are priceless! Although the messages were written in pencil (faded) there is one that brings a smile to my face. It was sent by my 2nd great grandfather from Ok to my grandmother in Wildwood FL (1910).

"Dear child what is wrong with your mother she didn't answer my long letter hope you are well all well her writ and let us her. A.K." Some things never change.
I have a ton of ancestors from Oklahoma. Who knows...throw out a name or two, and I might be able to find something for you, if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy