Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 09:27 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times

Advertisements

At long last, they finally come out with a chromosome painter. The most notable difference I see in my results is the way they have delineated segments as Nigerian vs. what 23andme says, although both are of near identical percentages. Also some of the European segments are different between the two, but there are some identical ones. Another difference is Ancestry puts anything in the "unassigned" category with a percentage less than 0.5, which is useful to know if you're wondering whether you have an ethnicity that's not in the report. I have a few that by fall below their threshold but are assigned on 23andme.

Overall, a new neat feature that's been long awaited. What's left is the ability to match our shared segments with DNA matches and decipher our common ancestry from there, and the ability to phase our results with tested parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 04:24 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
I keep hearing about this, but I've yet to see it. Is this app only or is it found on the computer? I guess they're doing a slow roll out?

Old 07-22-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I keep hearing about this, but I've yet to see it. Is this app only or is it found on the computer? I guess they're doing a slow roll out?
It's both app and desktop. My mom received hers a day before I did.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:10 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I used this when I first found it, and it was actually pretty easy to use. But, I can’t imagine that it would be easy for people who just do the DNA and don’t do the research.

My paternal grandfather left East Prussia in the German empire in 1910, and didn’t share information on his family or what he left.

I have German on both sides of my family which I know from my research. But because I knew found my grandfather’s parents names and where they came from and moved to and where it is now — which is Russia, since I have a small amount of Russian in me it’s obvious that’s my dad’s side.

My mother’s side came from the Swiss German border area which is much closer to France. So the little bit of French I have in me — probably my mom’s side. Since they left for the US in the 1700s, if I hadn’t have done the research I don’t think I’d have been able to figure it out.

Old 07-22-2022, 01:01 PM

5,041 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Thanks for pointing this out, Chicagoland, I didn't notice it.

Since Ancestry has my European ancestry all messed up, it's interesting to see they seem to agree with 23andMe about my African ancestry which is only 1.1% in 23andMe, and 2% at Ancestry. Both companies divide it into two groups, Nigeria and Congo region, and the segments from those regions more or less match up between the two companies, although 23andMe detects several smaller segments that were not included in Ancestry. 23andMe shows 7 Congolese segments (4 in Ancestry) and 2 Nigerian segments (3 in Ancestry).

For my equally small amount of indigenous ancestry, Ancestry shows 4 segments, all of which show up in 23andMe, but 23andMe has 3 additional indigenous segments including one on the X chromosome which is not one of the chromosomes included in Ancestry's painting.

Old 07-23-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Thanks for pointing this out, Chicagoland, I didn't notice it.

Since Ancestry has my European ancestry all messed up, it's interesting to see they seem to agree with 23andMe about my African ancestry which is only 1.1% in 23andMe, and 2% at Ancestry. Both companies divide it into two groups, Nigeria and Congo region, and the segments from those regions more or less match up between the two companies, although 23andMe detects several smaller segments that were not included in Ancestry. 23andMe shows 7 Congolese segments (4 in Ancestry) and 2 Nigerian segments (3 in Ancestry).

For my equally small amount of indigenous ancestry, Ancestry shows 4 segments, all of which show up in 23andMe, but 23andMe has 3 additional indigenous segments including one on the X chromosome which is not one of the chromosomes included in Ancestry's painting.
I think it's easier for both companies to map the segments of much smaller ancestry, especially if coming from places fundamentally different on a continental level. In my case, while there are a lot of discrepancy between the two companies when it comes to my much larger African portion, the main European and indigenous segments that show on Ancestry are in the exact same positions on 23andme. I also have more segments for both groups on 23andme(49 European and 7 indigenous segments) that's doesn't appear for Ancestry (33 European and 4 Indigenous). Some of those additional segments simply weren't tested by Ancestry and a Spanish & Portuguese segment, as a well as an indigenous segment on 23andme show up as unassigned- not meeting the 0.5% standard for the ethnicity/region they fall under.

Since I tested my mother on Ancestry and have her chromosome layout, I can now determine which of my chromosomes and segments on 23andme came from her versus paternal side, thus better able to filter some of my cousin matches there.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:06 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post

Go to ethnicity, scroll down to the new ethnicity inheritance, you'll see Chromosome painter Beta.

If you have not seen the new ethnicity inheritance, we can set which parent is each side if you figured it out.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:11 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Go to ethnicity, scroll down to the new ethnicity inheritance, you'll see Chromosome painter Beta.

If you have not seen the new ethnicity inheritance, we can set which parent is each side if you figured it out.
Thanks!

Old 07-30-2022, 01:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think it's easier for both companies to map the segments of much smaller ancestry, especially if coming from places fundamentally different on a continental level. In my case, while there are a lot of discrepancy between the two companies when it comes to my much larger African portion, the main European and indigenous segments that show on Ancestry are in the exact same positions on 23andme. I also have more segments for both groups on 23andme(49 European and 7 indigenous segments) that's doesn't appear for Ancestry (33 European and 4 Indigenous). Some of those additional segments simply weren't tested by Ancestry and a Spanish & Portuguese segment, as a well as an indigenous segment on 23andme show up as unassigned- not meeting the 0.5% standard for the ethnicity/region they fall under.

Since I tested my mother on Ancestry and have her chromosome layout, I can now determine which of my chromosomes and segments on 23andme came from her versus paternal side, thus better able to filter some of my cousin matches there.
It's been years since I used the two different tests and analyzed them in GEDMATCH to scientifically identify my birth parents, and find my half-siblings. (That was an experience!) Now, I only go out to 23andMe when they email me a request to answer some questions, and I only use Ancestry to explore my adopted family histories. I wish this technology would have been available when I was a young woman. It might've helped me work around a lot of angst and anger I had about my adoption -- and saved my mom a lot of grief.

Old 07-30-2022, 04:45 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
I thought Ancestry's DNA kit did not use the same algorithms as 23and me. No two company's algo is going to be the same. As the technology of DNA testing evolves your DNA results are going to morph.
My ancestors are Irish and Ukrainian but I have 36% Scottish DNA and only 4% Irish and I don't yet know where the Scottish came from (presently looking for records of the Scottish plantations (1608) in northern Ireland. Records before 1847 are destroyed or not digitized.

You are not going to understand why you have the DNA results you got unless you spend some time actually making a tree. Also check back on your on line results to see what has changed, if anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy