Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
For whatever reason I grew up in a household of people who continually blamed their plight on mysterious societal powers that kept us down. My sibling succumbed to that mentality and just sort of laid down in life. I never did, don’t know why I was wired different, but I studied our founding fathers and emulated the classic renaissance man of yore as best I could. I built my fortune as our Founding Fathers did, eking out first a modest living and then using industry to leverage my skills. I never succumb to the hardluck stories I heard, I drew strength from the story of Franklin in particular, how he grew up n what amounted to a cast system and broke out of that mold and labored to help establish a country where men were free to pursue their dreams and individual idea of happiness. In my day, this was not taught in schools. Then like now the liberal oppression submission model was taught. So whenever I felt down, I looked to our Founding fathers for inspiration as they were the inspirational characters in my life.

Cut to today, I am generally considered well off so I can indulge myself. One of those indulgences is genealogy. I wanted to learn why my family was like it was, why they felt so persecuted etc. And what I found is, it was all B.S. Sure there was a streak of misfortune, but it was happenstance, the economy, lack of medical knowledge etc, not a vast conspiracy. And there was more, I learned that at least two Presidents were ancestors of mine. That we came to this land in 1620. We have Churches named for us, member in the legislature, past fortunes etc,etc. There are large monuments dedicated in our name, statues of my ancestors. There is no reason on earth why anyone of my blood line should not succeed except failure of the self or simple misfortune. It is my misfortune that as a child I did not know who we were, our place in history. Heck I could have gained strength for the well documented courage my ancestors showed in many wars and the ingenuity and craft in establishing our government.

So now I document and research for future generations, so my grandchildren can wear their surname with pride and when they feel weak they can reflect on G.x grandpa or grandma and suck it up and do it for them, to show our bloodline is still strong and to carry on what should have been a proud tradition. Genealogy showed me, we had no reason to bow our heads to any man, say for humility sake.

Now I chuckle to myself as I recount the negative why you can’t stories of my childhood. I wish my parents would have know who we were and where we came from; it may have made all the difference in their lives, the chances they took and their ambitions. I hope it makes a difference to my grandchildren. And that is why I pursue genealogy.
This was a good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 04:13 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
I do not know where else to go to get this question answered. So hope someone on here can help me. The last name Maravi, does anyone know what Country of Origin someone might be from with this surname.

If so, drop me a note on my message please and thank you. The person was born in the US but trying to figure out Country of origin for his realitives.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:28 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I do not know where else to go to get this question answered. So hope someone on here can help me. The last name Maravi, does anyone know what Country of Origin someone might be from with this surname.

If so, drop me a note on my message please and thank you. The person was born in the US but trying to figure out Country of origin for his realitives.
This probably should be a separate thread.

However, Ancestry.com has people with that surname born in Peru, Puerto Rico, Hungary, and "Bohemia" - Czech.

The better approach would be to trace Census records back until you find a country of origin for the actual people involved.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:30 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post

It does not seem to be a common name so the individual would have to research their genealogy to find out. A generic name origins look up didn't yield anything.

You'd be better off posting creating a new topic for this than posting off-topic in an existing one.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This probably should be a separate thread.

However, Ancestry.com has people with that surname born in Peru, Puerto Rico, Hungary, and "Bohemia" - Czech.

The better approach would be to trace Census records back until you find a country of origin for the actual people involved.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It does not seem to be a common name so the individual would have to research their genealogy to find out. A generic name origins look up didn't yield anything.

You'd be better off posting creating a new topic for this than posting off-topic in an existing one.

Thank you also.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:24 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
I find it interesting to see which traits are passed down. Sort of like a biological historical table.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:03 PM

22 posts, read 27,951 times
First, because my mother was orphaned at age 8, so I never met her parents. Doing genealogy helped fill that void.

Second, because my mother was of complete Irish descent, and all the great-aunts loved to tell stories about the family. I loved to listen to those stories. Eventually I began writing them down, and then found a branch LDS library where I could order microfilms to research.

Finally, the Internet arrived! Yay! I can do detective work while sitting in front of the TV. I can expose the myths--there are no AmerIndians in our past, no matter how long my father's face was. I can make history come alive by picturing my ancestors in all those wars. (I'm proud of the Leavell who told his children he was glad he got a chance to see how blacks were treated in the South, because when the Civil War started he knew what he was fighting for as a Yankee. He wasn't fighting for political purposes, or for money, but for moral reasons.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy