Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 01:53 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
then how would you explain one Cherokee parent and one White parent having light-skinned blonde kids with blue and gray eyes?

(this is factual info, not hearsay)
I'm not actually obligated to explain what you want to believe vs. what actually is. Nonetheless, since someone wouldn't let this line of thought on this thread die the quiet death it deserves: here goes. Not that it'll change the way you think. No offense intended, but most peeps believe what they want to believe.

If you'll read some of the posts on this and other threads you'll find info such as only 2% of whites actually have native American in them while many more claim native heritage. For the overwhelming majority of whites a belief that they are partly native is a family legend. There are a lot of people who make unsubstantiated claims about their heritage that others take as fact. That doesn't make it so.

I have a close relative who is half native. His father was born on a reservation from two-full blooded natives. He has light brown skin and brown hair and straight dark brown hair though he is half white.

People of blond hair and blue eyes who claim native blood are like people who WANT 2+2 to equal some number other than four. It just ain't so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 04:31 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I'm not actually obligated to explain what you want to believe vs. what actually is. Nonetheless, since someone wouldn't let this line of thought on this thread die the quiet death it deserves: here goes. Not that it'll change the way you think. No offense intended, but most peeps believe what they want to believe.

If you'll read some of the posts on this and other threads you'll find info such as only 2% of whites actually have native American in them while many more claim native heritage. For the overwhelming majority of whites a belief that they are partly native is a family legend. There are a lot of people who make unsubstantiated claims about their heritage that others take as fact. That doesn't make it so.

I have a close relative who is half native. His father was born on a reservation from two-full blooded natives. He has light brown skin and brown hair and straight dark brown hair though he is half white.

People of blond hair and blue eyes who claim native blood are like people who WANT 2+2 to equal some number other than four. It just ain't so.
no, you're not "obligated" to "explain" anything... however, when you're essentially accusing people of lying, perhaps some obligation does fall onto you...

and, if you read my post which you're stating has untruthful information, I was not referring to someone who 'claimed' native blood, I was referring to one full-blooded White person (Irish) and one full-blooded Cherokee whose own children 'looked White' by your definition.

I guess it's easier to say people are making it up when they're talking about distant ancestors- but I don't use the word ancestors when talking about people who were alive during my own lifetime, and whom I knew personally.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:30 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,807 times
Megan fox (euro + amerindian)
Chuck norris (euro + amerindian)
johnny depp ( euro + amerindian)
Elvis presley ( euro + amerindian)
anne hathaway ( euro + amerindian)

it isnt a myth, U.s. Nationals are mixed. You just need to travel to europe and see how true caucasian/european people look like.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post

it isnt a myth, U.s. Nationals are mixed. You just need to travel to europe and see how true caucasian/european people look like.
And quite a few 'full blood White' Euros do resemble American Indians-------many Italians come to mind.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:33 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
bjh,

"People of blond hair and blue eyes who claim native blood are like people who WANT 2+2 to equal some number other than four. It just ain't so."

Wow. Really. I just mentioned this post to my son and he, too, was surprised that someone posting on a genealogy board would be so ignorant of basic genetics. He put it this way, "Tell the poster that he gets half of his genes from his Daddy and the other half from his Mommy. The poster's Daddy may have received both a brown gene and a blue gene from HIS Daddy. And Daddy may have also received a brown and blue gene from HIS Mommy. Both of your parents would have brown eyes, but YOU could have blue. If you received Daddy's blue eye gene and Mommy's blue eye gene, you would have blue eyes. Get it? Mother Nature doesn't give a rip whether Daddy or Mommy is 15/16 NA or 1/64 NA. The blue eyes (and/or blonde) simply means the individual is not 100% NA.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
bjh,

"People of blond hair and blue eyes who claim native blood are like people who WANT 2+2 to equal some number other than four. It just ain't so."

Wow. Really. I just mentioned this post to my son and he, too, was surprised that someone posting on a genealogy board would be so ignorant of basic genetics. He put it this way, "Tell the poster that he gets half of his genes from his Daddy and the other half from his Mommy. The poster's Daddy may have received both a brown gene and a blue gene from HIS Daddy. And Daddy may have also received a brown and blue gene from HIS Mommy. Both of your parents would have brown eyes, but YOU could have blue. If you received Daddy's blue eye gene and Mommy's blue eye gene, you would have blue eyes. Get it? Mother Nature doesn't give a rip whether Daddy or Mommy is 15/16 NA or 1/64 NA. The blue eyes (and/or blonde) simply means the individual is not 100% NA.
That is assuming that there was no Euro White blood here prior to Columbus. Although a few Euros may have come here prior to 1492 so some American Indians back then may indeed have been 'full blood', as it were, but not a genetic level.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That is assuming that there was no Euro White blood here prior to Columbus. Although a few Euros may have come here prior to 1492 so some American Indians back then may indeed have been 'full blood', as it were, but not a genetic level.
??? This stretches credulity. It's highly unlikely that even if there were Europeans in the new world prior to Columbus they would have mixed genetically with the indigenous Indian population.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:56 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:

I spent 10 days in Europe this past year. 5 days in Holland, 1 day in Germany, 4 days in Spain. My family and myself (we have been based in America for about 320 years) don't have any noticeable difference in complexion from the people that I saw in Holland or Germany. Spanish people are considerably darker than us.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:03 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
no, you're not "obligated" to "explain" anything... however, when you're essentially accusing people of lying, perhaps some obligation does fall onto you...

and, if you read my post which you're stating has untruthful information, I was not referring to someone who 'claimed' native blood, I was referring to one full-blooded White person (Irish) and one full-blooded Cherokee whose own children 'looked White' by your definition.

I guess it's easier to say people are making it up when they're talking about distant ancestors- but I don't use the word ancestors when talking about people who were alive during my own lifetime, and whom I knew personally.
If you're going to participate in discussion please try to do so at an adult level. Emotional responses in this type of discussion tend to indicate a favorite personal myth has been debunked. As usual, people believe what they want to believe.

Quote:

Most of those folks have very little Native American. When natives were being killed and chased off their land no white person wanted to claim the heritage even if they were one of the very few who actually had it. Now that it's "cool" to have some color in the family tree there is no shortage of wannabes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And quite a few 'full blood White' Euros do resemble American Indians-------many Italians come to mind.
That's a good point. I've even heard of a Black American guy who was surprised some southern Europeans were about as dark as he. Well, southern Europe is just across the Med from Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
bjh,

So glad your kid could help you out, but science is like math. It is what it is.

And unfortunately your response isn't germane to this conversation. The point under discussion is someone who is half Native American. In this case the person has a dark hair and skin and eye gene from the fully Native parent because full-blooded Native Americans have those traits. As a result the offspring will be brown skinned, brown haired, and brown eyed since those genes are dominant.

In order for someone of mixed race heritage (dark and light) to have lighter skin or eyes the darker genes have to be further back than the parent. Thems the breaks, folks!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:51 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Hmm, I'm sure you re-read your original response and realized that your response was not limited to persons claiming one full blooded NA parent. You made gross, inaccurate generalizations and can't admit it. I give up.

BTW - The mathematics comment was funny. The "kid" has a degree in mathematics; I'm guessing you don't. Bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy