Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:34 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
hmmmmm makes me wonder.....How does the child of someone in the Federal Witness Protection Program complete this assignment? And would the assignment result in daddy being wacked by the mob?
On the contrary the assignment provides a wonderful opportunity to validate the parent's cover story in an entirely casual way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 01:44 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
If your people are Irish and arrived in the latter half of the 19th century, there's a good chance they landed in the Port of Boston, not in New York.
I have discovered that many Irish in mid-19th century immigrated to Montreal, and some then made their way to the U.S.

Also, as I have found, it was not unusual for Irish families to put down roots in Canada, but for one or two of the older kids to then go south to the U.S. - and their family traditions have lost their stay in Canada, giving their descendents the impression that they came directly from Ireland to the U.S.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:39 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
If your people are Irish and arrived in the latter half of the 19th century, there's a good chance they landed in the Port of Boston, not in New York.
Perhaps if your family has been in the northeast for a while. People in other parts of the country should consider other ports no matter what their ethnicities.

I have Irish ancestors who landed in Charleston, SC in the 1890s and took the train to Texas for a pre-arranged job.

One of my ggf's landed in New Orleans in 1868. He worked in LA/AR/MO before winding up in TX.

It varies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy