Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:08 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any thoughts about moving long distance in summer? With a big uhaul type truck. Just wondering if it would be bad weather for my stuff, like electronics, papers, photos, etc. Is the heat and humidity really bad in the back of those trucks? Also, are you more likely to get bugs in the summer in those trucks? I would prefer to move in spring or fall, but summer might be the only option and I just worry about the heat in the back of those trucks. Don't want it warping my furniture or causing stuff to get messed up. THanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Papers shouldn't be a problem. Photos shouldn't be a problem if they are in albums on protected pages. If they are loose in a box, they may stick together and the emulsion may liquify. Most electronics are endangered when they are operated above certain temperatures, but sitting inert in a box shouldn't be a problem. People move all the time. In fact people even store items in hot metal boxes of storage units for years on end, without problems. Heat is inconvenient but not disastrous.

You are not more likely to get bugs. Bed bugs cannot survive in environments above 120 degrees so in this regard you probably want the truck to get very hot.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM

Has nobody ever moved in the summer that can share some advice?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:17 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
We've moved in very hot weather (108 degrees was the highest), and it was never a problem. It gets warm back there, but it isn't an oven. Exactly how long were you expecting your belongings to be sitting in your truck???

I would probably move photographs separately if I were worried (though again, I doubt it would be an issue), but very important, valuable items/documents always go in the car with us anyway because it is more secure.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Candles can melt - and if you've got them in a box with other things, some things can be ruined - especially anything fabric.

Some electronics can be damaged by high heat. Cameras can be especially vulnerable. I know people who keep a digital point-and-shoot camera in their car at all times, and it's fine, no matter how hot it gets. But other cameras have bits of glue inside that hold different pieces in place, and high heat can cause that glue to fail - which can mean a trip to the repair facility. If you're not sure about your camera, don't take a chance with it.

Most older photos will be fine if it doesn't get too hot - but photos printed in the last ten or fifteen years - Inkjet Prints - can fade when exposed to high heat. So the best idea is to keep all your photos safe, by moving them separately - not in the truck.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:34 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Yes dont shrink wrap your clothes I did that once moving in april from florida at 90+ degrees . I know stupid right ? but I did think it would keep the clothes nice and neat , nope , some of the shrink wrap melted into the clothing and ruined it . I was in shock . anyways also photographs should be in the car with you if possible .

Old 04-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Wow. I would have never thought about stuff melting like shrink wrap, candles. I didn't know newer photos would be bad. I guess the new ones aren't made as well.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
I've moved in temps well over 100 degrees, more than once. The only thing we ever had a problem with was candles, which the movers said we shouldn't put on the truck, but we did anyway. Our stuff was only closed up in the truck for one day each time. That might have had something to do with it. They wrapped all of our upholstered furniture in the shrink wrap stuff and we had no issues. We moved all our plants and chemicals in a uhaul and everything there was okay as well.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:04 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
We moved from Syracuse, NY to North Port, FL in the summer time. It was over 100 degrees in GA on the way down. It only took 2 days to make the drive. We rented a Penske truck and got a discount with AAA. We had a lot of furniture and pretty much all of our belongings in the truck. Nothing got damaged or destroyed by the heat. Photos and furniture and everything were fine in the heat.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
Never had any issues except for candles. They warped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues