Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times

Advertisements

@ Regazza: You'll love Boston.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times
We lived in Kentucky for six months - the longest five and half months of my life. I wasn't crazy about the town that we moved from and was really looking forward to Kentucky.

But then the stuff started to happen. The University I was going to, because of a "computer glitch" took away have of my financial aid, took me months to get it straightened out, even though everyone could plainly see it was a mistake. The house we were renting, not only had no heat - which the landlord refused to fix, our dog was stolen, the water was gray - of course we couldn't drink / cook with it, ruined our clothes, etc. The guy my husband was working for fired him without reason and kept his last paycheck, and then the real fun began. We were all sitting in the house one day and started hearing sirens getting closer and closer, and realized they were all stopping outside our house. After about 15 minutes I went out to ask what the heck was going on and the officer told me they thought we had already been evacuated - as we should have been the first house - because someone found an "unknown explosive device" at the corner of our yard. Not only did no one evacuate us, they were irritated they had to wait the five minutes it took us to grab shoes to get out. Then we found out there were not just one - but FOUR convicted child molesters living around our house. One of my daughters was attacked at school by a football player -during class! No one noticed they were gone, and nothing was done to him, it was a winning season, after all. Oh yeah! And then the tornadoes came, which was absolutely terrifying. We also found out that in our county, about 5 minutes from town, the entire stock pile of the nation's nerve gas was being stored. We were told not to worry -unless the cows on top of the depository started dropping dead. If they did - we should run. That was very comforting, let me tell you. There were even commercials on tv about "disasters" telling us that if the kids were at school and something happened, we should ignore our first instincts to go get them, we should let the schools handle it and we would all be notified later about where our kids were taken.

There was some other stuff, too, but I'm sure it wasn't related to where we were living. However, all of that ^^^^^ was enough for to promise myself that I would never under any circumstances go back to that state.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,039 times
Oh Lawd... seeing this thread, made me finally come out of lurker mode and register an account!
I am in such a hell-hole as we speak in the Midwest.

It has been 6 agonizing, long horrible years.... and between the recession and out-of-state address, me and my spouse have found no luck relocating with jobs. We've been trying to get back home to the East coast for 4 years. Both our states were hit very hard. Plenty of interviews and then... nothing.
We've turned our focus just 2 months ago to looking at the Bay Area instead to relocated. I hope hope hope it pans out better!

Our sanity is dwindling, the location here is seriously feeling like it wants us dead, and our marriage in jeopardy, so I've put my foot down. I'm determined to leave with or without a job either back home or to California by this fall.

I'm hoping to whatever deity will listen to me, that it works out.

Ragazza2011: Your experiences sound almost identical to my own it's downright scary.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
I think some places are just jinxed--bad karma for some folks. I know we had our share when we left Alaska, only to happily return to it six months later.

All I have to say when your in a place like that, get out as soon as possible! Don't keep putting it off...karma's trying to tell you something!

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 03-28-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I think some places are just jinxed--bad karma for some folks. I know we had our share when we left Alaska, only to happily return to it six months later.

All I have to say when your in a place like that, get out as soon as possible! Don't keep putting it off...karma's trying to tell you something!
You wonder how it is that you get bad karma somewhere. Sometimes it seems that we are supposed to live certain places and not others. I told the story of my move where nothing went right and it was after turning down an invitation to interview in a town that while it isn't the nicest town in the world, would have at least paid me more. For me western Montana will always be my personal hell. It's got great scenery but I'll never be fooled by that again.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
You wonder how it is that you get bad karma somewhere. Sometimes it seems that we are supposed to live certain places and not others. I told the story of my move where nothing went right and it was after turning down an invitation to interview in a town that while it isn't the nicest town in the world, would have at least paid me more. For me western Montana will always be my personal hell. It's got great scenery but I'll never be fooled by that again.
For us, it was Ohio, and I was born/raised there. Twice we tried it and both times were a bad mistake. Yes I believe we are supposed to live in certain places and not others. We've been through Montana and I don't think I'd want to live there either. I did get very good vibes from the Black Hills in So Dakota.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
We lived in Kentucky for six months - the longest five and half months of my life. I wasn't crazy about the town that we moved from and was really looking forward to Kentucky.

But then the stuff started to happen. The University I was going to, because of a "computer glitch" took away have of my financial aid, took me months to get it straightened out, even though everyone could plainly see it was a mistake. The house we were renting, not only had no heat - which the landlord refused to fix, our dog was stolen, the water was gray - of course we couldn't drink / cook with it, ruined our clothes, etc. The guy my husband was working for fired him without reason and kept his last paycheck, and then the real fun began. We were all sitting in the house one day and started hearing sirens getting closer and closer, and realized they were all stopping outside our house. After about 15 minutes I went out to ask what the heck was going on and the officer told me they thought we had already been evacuated - as we should have been the first house - because someone found an "unknown explosive device" at the corner of our yard. Not only did no one evacuate us, they were irritated they had to wait the five minutes it took us to grab shoes to get out. Then we found out there were not just one - but FOUR convicted child molesters living around our house. One of my daughters was attacked at school by a football player -during class! No one noticed they were gone, and nothing was done to him, it was a winning season, after all. Oh yeah! And then the tornadoes came, which was absolutely terrifying. We also found out that in our county, about 5 minutes from town, the entire stock pile of the nation's nerve gas was being stored. We were told not to worry -unless the cows on top of the depository started dropping dead. If they did - we should run. That was very comforting, let me tell you. There were even commercials on tv about "disasters" telling us that if the kids were at school and something happened, we should ignore our first instincts to go get them, we should let the schools handle it and we would all be notified later about where our kids were taken.

There was some other stuff, too, but I'm sure it wasn't related to where we were living. However, all of that ^^^^^ was enough for to promise myself that I would never under any circumstances go back to that state.
How awful. I'm assuming you never got your dog back? I'm glad you got out.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post

That's exactly how we're feeling. From day one, it's been horrible, bad vibes and nasty luck. I should have listened to my gut when I flew in for the interview and got a weird feeling about the place. I even broke down in shingles-- something I never had happen to me in my life.

Once I leave for good this year, I will never return, stop in, or fly over this forsaken hell-hole called KC. I'm surprised I've held out this long to begin with.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:12 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Rock Hill SC near Charlotte.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
How awful. I'm assuming you never got your dog back? I'm glad you got out.
I'm glad we got out, too! But yeah, we did actually get the dog back, we were very grateful. That was the one thing I was very happy about, lol, well that and leaving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues