Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:58 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Great website!

I am currently working to move to Las Vegas and it was in my top 5. My number 1 choice on the site was Phoenix which is someplace else i was considering.

Guess I am heading in the right direction!
Funny...2 years later I am in Phoenix

Old 05-19-2014, 08:51 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Funny...2 years later I am in Phoenix
I was thinking that when I read your old post.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
I created an account there with a spam e-mail address (everyone should have, so these ****s don't sell your info).

The suggested cities were better than most sites designed around that concept, but they still missed number 1, and they had a few bad suggestions up top. Note: In order to really test their concept, I didn't tell them which region I wanted to live in, as that could have massively influenced their results. Their system should have been able to figure out from my climate answers which regions would be right for me, but I fear they didn't program that part of the program well enough. It isn't a bad starting point for someone that doesn't know a ton of geography, but that wants to get out of where they currently live. The recommendations it gives would provide a great starting list. They did get 2 of my top 3 locations on the list, and several that were ranked from 8 or so through 15th. So all in all, the software isn't too terrible.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:25 PM

93,385 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I took this when we first started looking 5.5 years ago. It brought up a few places that I hadn't thought of, but ended up visiting like Rochester, NY and Sheboygan, WI.

I would consider living in Rochester, NY after visiting (IF they built a Costco!), but not really in Sheboygan, WI.

We moved to another place suggested on the list here in the Puget Sound area and love it.
I believe that Rochester is building or is slated to build a Costco: Costco continues march across Upstate New York with final deal for Rochester store | syracuse.com

Old 08-02-2014, 05:42 AM

151 posts, read 203,978 times
was a lot of fun, it gave suggestions of spots I was already considering and suggested a few that I hadn't heard of, one was my #1 destination two separate times when I took the test and #2 the third time I took the test, and interestingly enough after a bunch of research and sharing that with my family it is now our #1 destination. (we didn't plan it that way, we knew what we wanted and the state was on our radar along with 3 others, we were in the narrowing down phase: taxes, job market, house prices, etc and the FYS location just fit the bill on many things on our list). Will let you know when we get there, working on that now.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-27-2016 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: competitor sites are not allowed

Old 08-02-2014, 05:45 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times
Back in 1998, I took the quiz and it recommended that I move to Albuquerque, NM as the first choice, then Austin and I think the third was Cleveland, OH. I jumped on a plane a few months later and ended up living in Albuquerque for over 10 years. Crazy, but it was very accurate!

Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereDoIBelong View Post
I've come across a site , which aims to match your needs and lifestyle to places around the U.S., after you answer a bunch of questions.

I was wondering if anyone has actually moved to places suggested by this site and if so, what do you think of the place once you moved there.

Did it suit you?

We moved to the area of Makawao Hawaii which came up high on the list. The housing, lifestyle, nature and weather matched but they did not account for the sever and intense transient population and tourists. It's been the most ridiculous place we've ever been. Maui has a high rate of racial tension, drug addicts, spiritual flakes, creepy white men who offer couch surfing, stupid college girls with hula hoops and the most pathetic yoga people we've ever encountered. oooh Maui, BFD We can't wait to leave so we can make good friends again.

FYS also rated us high for the areas of So Cal which is where we come from, but we left to get away from the traffic and pollution. Oregon was high on the list. We will go there next.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-27-2016 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues