Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

I used it, and found it pretty much spot on. Interesting website.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,675 times
I did it and it was spot on..top spot was Hickory NC. Hubby did it too..umm...his top spot was just a little ways from mine. ALASKA!! It was funny..he filled in my questionaire and could see my answers before he plugged in his. He said they were pretty much identical until the weather section. So..both of ours were spot on.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM

441 posts, read 886,438 times
i just used it, and some of mine were places i never expected and some i have looked into.

my list was as follows, and the ones i've looked into are bolded

Carlisle, PA
Cleveland, Ohio
Toledo, Ohio
Erie, Pennsylvania
Indianapolis, Indiana
Syracuse, New York

Rochester, New York
Buffalo, New York
Mansfield, Ohio
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Altoona, Pennsylvania
Providence, Rhode Island
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Worcester, Massachusetts
Minneapolis-St Paul, Minnesota
Spokane, Washington
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Oshkosh-Appleton/Neenah, Wisconsin
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Battle Creek, Michigan
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Grand Rapids, Michigan

it didn't pick anything from Missouri though :*(... how can that be?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,668 times
I really like Find Your Spot. I have not moved since I discovered the site, but intend to use it to help me find a good retirement location. The nice thing about it is that you can select and weight your own criteria (unlike the websites and magazines that come out with yearly "Best Places to Retire" lists). Those well-meaning articles are useless, unless the only things you care about are the limited things that they consider important.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM

497 posts, read 1,694,134 times
I've used the sight and the results were definately spot on (except for Memphis. I'm orginally from there and I have no desire to live there again. I just go back to visit my family and friends). Some of the options where Norfolk, VA, Virginia Beach, (I've always loved Virginia but I'm trying to get away from the cold lol), Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Long Island, etc.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:13 PM

157 posts, read 484,383 times
i know this thread is old but just wanted to comment. i used this site and started looking into the cities on the list they gave me. so far im liking what i see. im gonna retake the test a few times. one of the cities was new haven. from google earth and street view it looks really good but i keep hearing bad things about it . crime infested. when they asked about crime i chose w/e was "i can handle some crime". new haven seems to have an buttload of criminal activity

but anyway yeah im glad i found this. havent gotten any spam or excessive emails from the site.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
I just signed up for it after seeing this thread this morning. You do have to provide a street address as well as an email address, but a fake one will do...

The towns provided for me were awful, and I think that was mostly because they do not allow you to prioritize your criteria much. Off the top of my head, I can think of 24 towns that they DIDN'T mention that I think would be a better fit for me. So, I am disappointed but at least I know what their choices are.

Crime is very important to me too, and I said so, but the cities they thought were best for me are not all that low in crime at all IMO; at least, not low enough for me. Another important criterion to me is not being in hurricane prone areas (but they didn't ask about that). Four of my top five were not even five miles from the Gulf of Mexico and the fifth is a port town on the Atlantic in Virginia. They didn't provide any choices outside the South, even though I said area and weather are not important to me.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 06-17-2012 at 09:14 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
i just used it, and some of mine were places i never expected and some i have looked into.

my list was as follows, and the ones i've looked into are bolded

Carlisle, PA
Cleveland, Ohio
Toledo, Ohio
Erie, Pennsylvania
Indianapolis, Indiana
Syracuse, New York

Rochester, New York
Buffalo, New York
Mansfield, Ohio
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Altoona, Pennsylvania
Providence, Rhode Island
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Worcester, Massachusetts
Minneapolis-St Paul, Minnesota
Spokane, Washington
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Oshkosh-Appleton/Neenah, Wisconsin
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Battle Creek, Michigan
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Grand Rapids, Michigan

it didn't pick anything from Missouri though :*(... how can that be?

I did this too and I didn't get any place in PA either and I love my state!

I did get many of the same places you did - Sheboygan, Eau Clair, and others. I have never been to many of them.

I did get Worcester MA and I went to college there and liked living there.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:42 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Great website!

I am currently working to move to Las Vegas and it was in my top 5. My number 1 choice on the site was Phoenix which is someplace else i was considering.

Guess I am heading in the right direction!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times
Oh goody, something else I can do to pass the time. Glad I saw this thread, I'll be checking the site out today for the fun of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues