Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 11:07 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times

Advertisements

Considering taking a promotion which entails moving from Tx to Idaho. When I moved here the loading movers and the un-loading movers all remarked that I had a huge amount of boxes.

I do buy actual moving boxes from Home Depot and I used medium and large last time.

Since the move I have gotten rid of a LOT of stuff. I'll downsize even more should I accept this job.

So I'm curious what the amount others have ended up using for a 3 bed, 2 bath ranch style home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 11:44 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
When we moved from our 3b/2b ranch house we let the movers do all the packing. It was somewhere around 24 boxes if I remember correctly. Most boxes were 18x24 I believe.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:59 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Take whatever amount you think you'll need and multiply it by two or three.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:48 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
How could anyone hope to answer this question? No one knows how much stuff you've crammed into those rooms in that house. The type of stuff matters:

If you have more decorative or fragile items you'll need more boxes because you can't cram them together in any old way; need more cushioning and protective wrap. That takes up space.

If you have a lot of heavy items (ie books) you'll need more boxes because you can exceed the weight tolerance of the box and your back sooner. Don't expect to pack fewer larger boxes full of books.

Stuff that is easily compressed will take up less space in boxes.

Stuff that isn't compressible will take up more space.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:56 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
My wife and I moved frequently with her military position. We bought 18 gallon plastic totes from Walmart instead of boxes (good idea in hindsight as it's been cheaper than buying cardboard over and over again)... anyway, we have 20.

As a hint, anything that's not an heirloom, sell/donate/trash. You really end up spending way more money on moving things than just buying them over again new at the new location. We were paid to move, so it made a little more sense, but still dumb that you pack up all this junk that you don't use, waste resources hauling it somewhere else and then unpack it in a new place where it still won't be used.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:55 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
OP, start with 15 medium boxes and 10 large boxes.

As you get into the process, you'll be better able to figure out how many more you'll need.

I agree with the comments about downsizing.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:00 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
How could anyone hope to answer this question? No one knows how much stuff you've crammed into those rooms in that house. The type of stuff matters:

If you have more decorative or fragile items you'll need more boxes because you can't cram them together in any old way; need more cushioning and protective wrap. That takes up space.

If you have a lot of heavy items (ie books) you'll need more boxes because you can exceed the weight tolerance of the box and your back sooner. Don't expect to pack fewer larger boxes full of books.

Stuff that is easily compressed will take up less space in boxes.

Stuff that isn't compressible will take up more space.
it wasn't about how much stuff I have. The question was generalized at how many boxes people typically use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My wife and I moved frequently with her military position. We bought 18 gallon plastic totes from Walmart instead of boxes (good idea in hindsight as it's been cheaper than buying cardboard over and over again)... anyway, we have 20.

As a hint, anything that's not an heirloom, sell/donate/trash. You really end up spending way more money on moving things than just buying them over again new at the new location. We were paid to move, so it made a little more sense, but still dumb that you pack up all this junk that you don't use, waste resources hauling it somewhere else and then unpack it in a new place where it still won't be used.
for sure and after the remarks of the movers on my last move I have continued to downsize. If I have bought anything new, it was to replace the old. In with the new. Out with the old.
And I will know within a couple of days if the move is for sure happening. If so then I will downsize even more
I could and may use the plastic totes but I will have to price them. They can be very pricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
OP, start with 15 medium boxes and 10 large boxes.

As you get into the process, you'll be better able to figure out how many more you'll need.

I agree with the comments about downsizing.
thanks for that advice regarding the boxes. Will give that a try.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:31 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
it wasn't about how much stuff I have. The question was generalized at how many boxes people typically use.

for sure and after the remarks of the movers on my last move I have continued to downsize. If I have bought anything new, it was to replace the old. In with the new. Out with the old.
And I will know within a couple of days if the move is for sure happening. If so then I will downsize even more
I could and may use the plastic totes but I will have to price them. They can be very pricey.

thanks for that advice regarding the boxes. Will give that a try.
You will use as many boxes as it takes to move what you want to move. Nobody knows what you have and how much packing it require.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:55 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
We all have to start somewhere. That's why I gave the OP a specific number.

I downsized from a 3 bedroom into a 2 bedroom and got rid of a ton of stuff. I moved a lot of things in garbage bags, like towels and bedding, and didn't use that many boxes this time. I moved my books in two big garbage cans on wheels, rather than boxes. I didn't have much help when I was moving things from the storage locker, so I tried to pack loads that I would either drag or put on a dolly.

For the OP's sake, I will guess that I used about 6 small boxes, 10 medium boxes, and 5 large boxes, but I also had tons of garbage bags and totes, as well as a car roof suitcase that I kept emptying and refilling.

I moved everything out of the house when it sold to a storage locker and then when I was finished painting in the new house, I moved the stuff from the storage locker to the new house, several towns over from the old place.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Pippy you’re going to Idaho! I have only heard wonderful things about the state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues