Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 PM

53 posts, read 172,525 times

Advertisements

So.. we're driving from South of Atlanta to Seattle in a month or two. I'm trying to hammer out a good path.. my friend suggested driving straight across to Houston, TX and straight up to Wyoming to avoid the mountains as much as possible, but we kind of want to see Yellowstone. After that it would be up and over to WA.

HERE'S THE KICKER:
2 adults, 2 toddlers - in a Honda Civic - with whatever we can fit inside it.

We can't resist how much cheaper it is than plane tickets and a ReloCube (like $1500-$2000 cheaper.)

We weren't planning on moving anything big anyway. The big loss is our mattress, and that's only 400. So I believe we can replace much of our furniture and kitchen appliances (or at least have xtra backup $$$$ in case of emergency on the road) with that.

We do have a dvd system for the road

Other than that.........help?

A Frightened Mommy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 05:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstockdale View Post
So.. we're driving from South of Atlanta to Seattle in a month or two.
2 adults, 2 toddlers - in a Honda Civic - with whatever we can fit inside it.
That won't be much stuff at all.
A few changes of clothes, toothbrushes and lap toys for the kids.

As to the route, get north as quick as you can... then head west on I-90.
Look for the Lewis & Clark signs once you get N of Missouri.

With kids don't count on more than 8 hrs a day rolling.
That (and a few fun stops) makes your 3000 mile trip a week long adventure.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 AM

You should have seen us on our last vacation- you would have been impressed! And I packed WAY too much. The only space waster is going to be diapers. the kids are so small, we can totally pack the floorboards in the back as well. We managed to pack beach gear for 4 people, two full size suitcases, blocks, diapers, toys, a cupboard's worth of food, two toddler size duffels, plus lap toys, hats, blankets, pillows, and a 1 1/2 inch queen sized memory foam topper cut in half for the kids to sleep on that and the stuff I didn't list.

My goal is to put heavy and breakable things (iron, food processor, glassware) in the trunk with our suitcase and ship the rest (books and clothes).

In what state does one connect with I-90?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:53 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
In what state does one connect with I-90?
That depends on where one points themselves when one starts their trip.

From Atlanta... the most direct path to it would lead you to Chicago.
I'd suggest going more west by north vs due north and connecting near Billings MT

Do you have a PAPER road atlas? LINK
If not, then stop by WalMart this afternoon and spend the $5 (maybe $8 now).

Last edited by MrRational; 07-13-2013 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I did that trip a few years ago, slept in Chicago, Sioux Falls, Gillette WY, Missoula, stopped there. Don't envy you. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Yes, go north quickly. I did that trip last summer from NC to WA. I headed for Nashville, then I-24 to I-57 just past Mt Vernon, IL. Then I went NW on I-64 through St Louis, then I-70 to Kansas City. From there I went north on I-29 all the way to I-90. It comes out about the same if you take I-80 to Yellowstone instead. Nebraska and South Dakota are both horribly boring to drive through, so just pick one. (I chose SD because I had never been there, but if I were doing it again I would just choose the route that had the best hotel option.)

After Yellowstone, head NW and go up to I-90.

I didn't really notice that I was going up, up, up, but when I started down on the Seattle side of the mountains it seemed like I just went down, down, down, for a very long time. I wouldn't want to drive a full little car going the other direction.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:02 AM

634 posts, read 897,563 times
I did this exact drive in 2001, what someone else suggested, up to Chicago, and west through Iowa, then South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana. I did it in 5 days and 4 nights with my stops being Chicago (with family), western Iowa (storms slowed me down), Gillette, and Butte. But from a cost perspective, this was the cheapest most direct route in terms of car rental, gas, lodging, and food.

However, I did this alone, I can't imagine doing it with children when places like South Dakota come to mind, just one long stretch of highway for as far as the eye can see. A more southern route might be more scenic and have more places to stop for things to do if you are not on a tight budget and have extra time.

As far as going through the mountains, there is no way you can avoid mountains in any of the western states, Seattle in particular is on the other side of several ranges. Any reason why it would be an issue for you? There will be no snow in late summer for most of the U.S. ranges. Stick to well-traveled roads and you won't have any problems.

In my opinion though, relocations are really not a good time for sight-seeing, I didn't stop to see anything, if it wasn't visible from the highway then I didn't see it. I stayed close to my hotel/vehicle considering I had everything I owned with me, I was vulnerable, and didn't want to take a chance on complications. I felt I could always go back and visit things later. Just my two cents.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:04 AM

Google maps said ATL - Nashville TN - St. Louis MO - Kansas City MO- Sioux Falls SD - Gillette MT - Missoula WY - Seattle is only 39 hours! The way I was looking at it before was 59! That's crazy! Thanks for the input.

That route skips Chicago in favor of a more diagonal route; it saves two hours, but I wonder does it save any agony? Do you all think it would be less agonizing to just take the two extra hours and continue up to Chicago and then turn west, or does it matter?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Google maps said ATL - Nashville TN - St. Louis MO - Kansas City MO- Sioux Falls SD - Gillette MT - Missoula WY - Seattle is only 39 hours! The way I was looking at it before was 59! That's crazy! Thanks for the input.

That route skips Chicago in favor of a more diagonal route; it saves two hours, but I wonder does it save any agony? Do you all think it would be less agonizing to just take the two extra hours and continue up to Chicago and then turn west, or does it matter?
Going to Chicago wouldn't save you the boredom; it would just add time and traffic. Taking the southern route wouldn't prevent the bad part, either. I've done that one, too, and there's no way around it: 40% of your trip will not be beautiful. The other 60% ranges from "pretty" to "awesome."

A note on the time: Googlemaps doesn't know about the nice, high speed limits in many states. Look at the same route on Bing, and it will look a lot faster. Mapquest and yahoo are in the middle. Maybe because of the children you'll be closer to Google's time, but that isn't an accurate driving time.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
This route with kids, start really early in the morning, skip breakfast, let them doze in the car seats, stop when they wake up, and are cranky, I suggest just stopping at a park, rest stop, having juice, sandwiches from the cooler, expecting kids to sit in the car, then sit in a restaurant for food, is set up for failure. Let them eat, and run around for a good half hour or so. Or more. Then, back in the car. Stop early, around four, and let them swim in the pool, they have a lot of energy to get out. Now, you can have a nice sit down dinner, give them baths, they will settle down. Try to stay on a routine. Either way, the drive is long and boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues