Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:35 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times

Advertisements

jmc0270 wrote:
Sometimes I wish there was someone out there that would just TELL me what to do
Your wish has been granted! Stay put for now, until you have more clarity regarding the specifics of what you are seeking.

blessings...Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,351 times
Lightbulb Where o where to live

I can understand your quandry...there seems to be a lot of places to choose from - all with thier own idosyncracies. I can comment on southern nevada, california, south florida and spain.....if you're considering any of these places let me know and I'll happily spill my guts.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Hello SunshineGirl,

I am sorry that you are not happy where you are. My family and I moved to Dallas Texas 13 years ago from Chicago. We like it a lot here. The people are friendly, the cost of living is not bad, real estate is cheaper and lots of employment opportunities. The healthcare business here is doing very well. There are bonuses attached to almost every RN job. It is also a very diverse city. If you like the country, you can live outside the city with some land and animals, you can be in the suburbs or you can live downtown. That's what I like about this city.

Yes the it gets hot in the summer... but the homes are air conditioned, the stores are air conditioned, the work areas are too, and you enjoy that pool at lot more.

Schools are not bad... actually we have a couple of school districts that are in the top 10 in the country. Shopping is phenomenal and the variety of restaurants is superb.

We don't have a state income tax. However, the property tax rate is higher, it varies from city and county between 2.3 to 2.8. But it makes it all worth it.

If you decide to make a trip, I would love to show you around this great place...

Oh yes, we have the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Stars, the Rodeo, The Mavericks etc...
A friend (the woman who introduced us oh those many years ago) lives in DFW and has told us you simply switch seasons down there. Go out in the winter, stay in in the summer. Works for her.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
I can say that we eliminated a good portion of the country because of wanting one thing and refusing to have another.

We want green (trees, etc), and we don't want icy cold and lots of snow.

Ended up with a lot in TN. Still looking, but if we find nothing better we have a nice spot.

I hope you are as fortunate.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,911 times
Planning a trip to FL after the 25th to visit son in Sarasota (he moved back already) and are planning to stop in Tallahassee for a day or two on the way up to TN. Complicated only by some "bowl" or other on New Year's Eve in Nashville-expect it hard to find a hotel room-may have to adjust itinerary some for that. Have been to Huntsville several times already, and liked it last time we were there, so will skip it for now. Am compiling pro and con lists for each place and state. And yes, we are primarily interested in the south-ish, midwest-ish area. Don't want to deal with the water problems of the southwest, the wetness of the northwest, the deep family roots of the deep south, or the coldness of the north. The Fl peninsula is out, I love, love, love Sarasota, but the problems of south FL will not go away just for lil ol me. It's nice to hear from others in the same state of indecision and planning as us. Not meaning that in a bad way toward anyone, just that I don't feel so alone... sniff... Seriously, tho folks, I can appreciate those that looked elsewhere and feel that there's "no place like home". Not an option for us. Sooo...the search continues. But, good news, I'm less crazy than when this post first started. Love planning and taking these trips. And no, an RV lifestyle or traveling nursing is not for me. I want to be the one saying there's no place like home......

Old 12-14-2007, 09:41 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
What about North Carolina? Raleigh is gorgeous and they don't get much snow, but they still have 4 beautiful seasons.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:54 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,790 times
Default I know it's not cheap but...

You said that you weren't looking at CA but in Santa Barbara there is a huge nursing shortage. The main hospital (Cottage) is hiring, they pay moving bonuses, and is doing a HUGE expansion. My friends neice just graduated from nursing school in OK and was hired here, given money to move, and $$ to get into an apt. Housing prices have come down and will most likely come down a little further. BUT, the weather is always nice, you have the beach and mountains, skiing is only a few hours away, food options are great, many farmers markets, and close to airports when you need to get away. We also have a rockin' International Film Festival. SB is a city but smallish. Probably not the most realistic option for you since it is on the opposite side of the country but thought I would toss it out there.

Sometimes I do want to live somewhere less expensive but having lived in the midwest for the most miserable 6 months of my life, I realized what I liked about SB is not available everywhere and there are some sacrifices you need to make. To me, living somewhere where I technically could wear shorts all the time is important (I am a snow wimp). Also, sometimes I look at where I live and realize how lucky I am. I DO love it here. People are friendly and eclectic. And I can get spicy food anytime I want (NOT available in Il at the time when I lived there, or at least not CA hot!)!

There are positives and negatives of everywhere. Come to SB on vacation and check it out. During June is great when we have our huge solstice parade. Look me up and I will take you to THE BEST Mexican food place around. It used to be frequented by Julia Childs.

Jill

Old 12-15-2007, 03:28 PM

226 posts, read 1,169,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Looking, looking, looking....and going in circles. Trying to research next, and hopefully final, move. Going over each state, pros and cons. Water problems in the west and SW. Drought in the SE. High property taxes on the coasts. Every time I think I'm closing in on a location to research further, I find something out that I think I can't live with. Don't know if I'm researching too much, or not enough. Feeling the strain, I think. Husband retired, I'm working hospital OB RN, so need a somewhat bigger city, but job shouldn't be a problem, and adult children waiting to see where we settle so they can relocate there after us. I feel like everyone is waiting for me to make this big decision......We moved here in Springfield, MO and none of us like it, so we don't want to make the same mistake again. On paper and in research this place looked great. Good economy, good schools, low unemployment, lots of growth, lots of relocatees coming here. Everyone seems to like it here but us. I think I just needed to vent......... Even if I get no responses, thanks for listening
Pull a Dr. Doolittle, and just throw a dart at a map.....I could think of worse ways

Old 12-15-2007, 04:57 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,123,151 times
Thumbs up North Carolina...good choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
What about North Carolina? Raleigh is gorgeous and they don't get much snow, but they still have 4 beautiful seasons.
I agree with this. My Wife is now retired after spending a lifetime as a geriatric nurse. She still watches every tv medical show and follows the news with regards to anything about nursing.

Come to Carolina as good nurses are desperately needed because of the rapid influx of those coming to NC from other states looking for a better life. Many of the hospitals here are top rated nationwide.

If finding a nursing job is your biggest concern then Carolina is the place for you.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:36 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,911 times
Lots of folks just love NC, I know, but we toured what seemed like alot of the state before we moved here, and it did not appeal to us. At that time, my hair was still growing back in from chemo and I wore a kerchief instead of my wig for comfort sometimes, and that was the only state in our many state tours in which people just flat out stopped what they were doing and stared at me. Kind of put a bad vibe on the state for me. We toured NC, SC, GA, TN, AL, Ark, FL, and MO during that time, spending several weeks in each state, different cities. I'm sure that's not enough of a reason to eliminate an entire state or it's population, but it sticks in my mind and I can't shake it. As far as CA goes, lived in Orange Co back in the 70's for a few months and even then couldn't get past the fact that I knew the sun was out because I saw shadows, but I couldn't see the sun for the smog. I know, one place, big state. San Diego was nice then, but really have no interest in the west coast. Have worked with many nurses from Cali, it's a different world in nursing for sure by their accounts. I know the midwest is not for everyone, either.

Thanks for the thoughts re: NC and CA, though. Do appreciate the intent to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues