Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:43 AM

393 posts, read 1,736,379 times

Advertisements

tlb, pittbull and new age--Thank you, thank you, thank you for your total understanding. I know there are plenty of folks in their own search and find mission and I also trust we all will find our own individual places in this great land of ours. Hugs to all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 10:37 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,569 times
So it sounds like your biggest beef with Springfield has been an inability to make friends. You really have no way of knowing until you move to your next destination if that will become an issue there as well. Just something to think about...

Old 12-22-2007, 02:43 PM

No razzy, there are other issues here for us as well that enter into the decision. Some of which can be arguably be found in other places as well. I truly do not want to post a list of personal negatives about a place that others may well just love. We feel like fish out of water here, and it's best for us to move on.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:48 PM

45 posts, read 117,226 times
Hey. Sunshine Girl - after we moved to the Mid-West we felt like "fish out of water," too. Kept wasting year after year trying to adjust to a culture that we just didn't understand or fit in or belong.

After we arrived in New Mexico it took all of three days to feel completely at home, welcome and no longer outsiders!!

We are over a million times happier now, too!
We love the Southwest.

This country has 50 states. There is something for everyone.

Everyone is different.
Someone else may hate New Mexico and just love the Mid-West.

We are just thankful that we finally found the right "fit" for our family.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:18 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Sunshine girl, you are right that sometimes we can find out we don't belong in a certain area, and when that happens, it is best to move on (if we can). I have been in the KC Metro area (KS side) for over twelve years and can't wait to move to another area. As others have mentioned, we have to give it time...but twelve yrs is more than enough time. I won't move until I begin to collect s/s in about three yrs. And when I do select a place I will rent for a minimum of 6 months before I buy a home (if I'm able to buy). And at my age, some say it's more practical to continue to rent vs buying.

There is no perfect place, but we can hopefully find a place that's perfect for us. We all have our own list of items we will and won't tolerate. For me, I've had more than enough of freezing winter ice and snow! I definitely want warmer winters, but am not ready for put up with 110-115+ heat in the summer months in areas like Phoenix/Tucson, etc.

I'm not into shopping, or the night life. Just want an affordable/safe place to live, can tolerate the humidity, mid-size suburb, and will more than likely have to work at least part-time (I do clerical work). I'm not into traveling or spending much money...just the necessities, and am not materialistic.

I wish there were a simple way to select a place to live, but it's just not that easy. There's so much to think about, and I agree, it can drive us crazy!

Old 12-24-2007, 04:39 AM

Pittbull, you are right there are 50 states and a place that suits each of us. And Katie, I know you will find your place, too! This is what I talking about, a place to grow and feel comfortable in one's surroundings instead of forcing and making oneself happy in a place. Some places we thrive in, some we just exist in. We are looking for our happy place now, over the next year, and I'm not so crazy anymore. Hubby is actually on the same page now, and I'm shedding the notion of making the entire family happy, that sooo makes it easier! The kids can sell us out when we are dust if that's what they want, we are now united in our quest for our happy place, and it no longer includes them in the equation.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Move to Costa Rica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues