Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 12:55 PM

24 posts, read 54,234 times

Advertisements

So I am getting ready to move my 1 BD Apartment from CA to TX in the next month and looking at my moving options. On my last move I used ABF's Trailer and used about 6.5 feet. I have purged a lot of my items and I am considering a Relocube. The major items I have are:

- One queen sized memory foam mattress
- One small chest freezer (5 cu. feet)
- One top load washer
- One dryer
- One 2 cushion IKEA sofa
- One corner desk that takes up rougly 16 square feet

I will also have approximely 10 medium boxes, 5-10 small boxes, 2 large kitchen boxes. I am optimistic that 1 cube will be enough and I am trying to avoid using an ABF trailer again since I don't want to fight with my apartment on parking. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 04:30 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Can you start stacking your stuff up in a corner of your living room like it was being packed, and see if you can fit it all in a virtual 72wx80wx90h inch cube ? I did this in a garage, marked the floor & walls with masking tape, and moved things around to get best fit.

Even if you can't yet move the freezer or washer, etc , mark out a space for them.

Worst case, hold back some light boxes and ship them separately via UPS if contents are worth the cost.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromdixie View Post
So I am getting ready to move my 1 BD Apartment from CA to TX in the next month and looking at my moving options. On my last move I used ABF's Trailer and used about 6.5 feet. I have purged a lot of my items and I am considering a Relocube. The major items I have are:

- One top load washer
- One dryer

I will also have approximely 10 medium boxes, 5-10 small boxes, 2 large kitchen boxes. I am optimistic that 1 cube will be enough and I am trying to avoid using an ABF trailer again since I don't want to fight with my apartment on parking. Any thoughts? Thank you!
You better make sure you can fit it all in, or else you'll be stuck getting two cubes, and they aren't as cheap as they sound. The smallest is 5 ft, then 7 ft from there.

I'm actually in a similar situation, and I'm debating it.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 PM

508 posts, read 663,603 times
Fill the chest freezer with lighter weight boxes. Fill the washer and dryer with clothes and semi-fragile objects well wrapped. Make sure you tape or tie the dryer door shut.

I presume the memory foam mattress can be rolled up. Wrap it well with sheets and tie it up.

Can you disassemble the desk?

Use high test rope/twine to tie things down well so they don't shift when being whizzed around on a fork lift and pushed and shoved around in the truck. I used paracord from Home Depot

Don't let its skinny-ness fool you. It is braided, not twisted, and its super strong and lightweight and easy to handle.

Do practice tying some appropriate knots before hand - grannies won't do the job.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:34 PM

105 posts, read 274,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromdixie View Post

- One top load washer
- One dryer

Sounds like you should be ok. I used a relocube last summer to pack up our one BR apartment and I was able to fit:

- queen sized mattress
- queen sized boxspring
- Ikea bed frame
- sectional couch (two pieces each 6 feet long)
- Mongstad Ikea mirror (6 feet tall)
- 2 Uhaul wardrobe boxes (they're really big)
- Large Uhaul picture box
- 2 nightstands
- 15 misc boxes containing all of our kitchen and bathroom stuff and other odds and ends

Treat packing like a game of Tetris. You will be surprised how much you can fit into one relocube if you're mindful of how you pack. We were shocked after we were done loading as we were worrying we'd have to get a second one. Good luck!

Last edited by AZ Bandit; 03-18-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues