Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 7,117 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in an RV, travelling full time around the US. We're thinking of moving back to NYC (where we're from) sometime next spring/summer, and now I am kept awake at night trying to figure out the logistics of this.

We would need to sell our RV (a 30' class A rv) plus our tow vehicle (a mini cooper), pack up all of our items (including a 1 year old dog and a cat) and transport items & pets cross country from wherever we'll be at that point (probably somewhere in Arizona or Colorado).

I need to figure out if a storage facility would allow me to set up everything remotely and then allow my mover to show up, load everything in, and lock it up for me. Everything I've seen so far has given me the impression of reserving online, but paying and signing the lease the day of...except if we're not physically there, how does that work?

Additionally, is it better for me to fly out a month ahead of time to secure an apartment before we make the big move, OR could we simply sell our vehicles & move our stuff into storage, then fly out to NY with our animals and stay in a sublet for a month while we take our time finding the right place? This, of course, hinges on us being able to get a sublet that allows pets (we've seen a few on airbnb, if it came down to it).

I know we can't be the first people to move to NYC from an RV...although anything is possible.

Disclaimer: I'm looking for comments and advice from those who know or can give me somewhat similar experiences, maybe even anything related to moving out of (and selling) an RV and moving with pets. "Why don't you call them and find out?" isn't good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 10:22 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
I've full timed RVed, albeit with a 5th wheel. I'd keep the RV. Wanderlust will hit sooner rather than later, especially being in the hustle and bustle of NYC. You'll also most likely take a bath (lose money) trying to rid yourself of a used RV (unless you got a great deal).

Although traveling tires you out, it helps to have a "home base". Somewhere that grounds you when you're out on the road.

Have you thought about just bringing the RV to a campsite an hour or two from NYC? Get the best of both worlds, without signing a year lease for an overpriced tiny apartment?

Maybe you want the whole city thing and my advice is not useful, but just my $.02. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 PM

7 posts, read 7,117 times
I think we've gotten our wanderlust out of our systems; we've traveled from Florida, gone across the country, and seen Colorado (amazing!) and Yellowstone. After we hit every city on the west coat, I'm not sure there's much more we want to experience.

The big thing is, husband would prefer not having to drive a vehicle ie wants to use mass transit. I grew up in NY, so to me it's second nature to be there. He works freelance, and needs the "hustle and bustle" of a big city to work well and make business connections. Otherwise, we'd probably end up somewhere around Denver.

Personally, I'd be okay on a plot of land with a house and garden, but seeing as I can't drive, being in a city is best for he both of us.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:44 PM

206 posts, read 238,631 times
I know you can do a PODS move and they will put it in storage facility in the freight container for specified amount of time, then deliver it to your door. But, this is probably really problematic in NY with the traffic and parking. But, if the freight container stays on the truck, and movers unload it to your place, would be no different than U-haul move.

Arkansas Best Freight may offer something similar...

Old 09-22-2015, 07:32 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klag View Post
I think we've gotten our wanderlust out of our systems; we've traveled from Florida, gone across the country, and seen Colorado (amazing!) and Yellowstone. After we hit every city on the west coat, I'm not sure there's much more we want to experience.

The big thing is, husband would prefer not having to drive a vehicle ie wants to use mass transit. I grew up in NY, so to me it's second nature to be there. He works freelance, and needs the "hustle and bustle" of a big city to work well and make business connections. Otherwise, we'd probably end up somewhere around Denver.

Personally, I'd be okay on a plot of land with a house and garden, but seeing as I can't drive, being in a city is best for he both of us.
Have you been to Glacier National Park in Montana? Have you been to the Charles M Russell Museum in Great Falls? Have you been to Indian Days in Browning? the Computer Museum or the Museum of The rockies in Bozeman? How about all the museums in Deer Lodge?
Have you been to Arches National Park and Canyonlands National park in Utah? How about Zion National Park?
Have you been to the Buffalo Bill Museum of the West in Cody, WY?
There is a LOT more out here than the cities on the West Coast!
But then, as they say, to each his own. You sound like "big city folks" (I shudder to think of living in a place like that; yeah, I been there, did that [Seattle]), so you have to do what is best for you.
However, I would bet that eventually you will be saying (or thinking) "Gee, I wish we had stopped at (wherever) while we were out and about!"
Sorry about not addressing your initial question, but I have no idea.
good luck.
IMO, you will need all the luck you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues