Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 06:43 PM

9,102 posts, read 6,327,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
When we bought our house 23 years ago, there was a lot of junk I would not allow to be moved there. So he rented a big storage unit.

He has been paying $2,000 a year on it for the last 23 years. You do the math. So what if he can afford it? That's $46,000 we could have invested. Gone, because he either can't or won't let go of what is literally JUNK.
I would need to conduct a visual inspection before I can agree with the 'literally JUNK' assessment. Just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 07:33 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
If you're not using what's in the storage unit now, then you don't need it. Just think how much money you'd have if you weren't paying on two storage units.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:00 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I would need to conduct a visual inspection before I can agree with the 'literally JUNK' assessment. Just sayin'

Show up with a couple of trucks and most likely you'll get all of it!

Old 07-28-2018, 08:07 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Succeed View Post
Selling the stuff isn't a desire for me because lot of is essential things.

If it was essential, it wouldn't be locked away in storage units you rarely visit.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:17 PM

30,175 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Succeed View Post

I used to live in Texas briefly which had $99 move in specials and such. I can't find those in any of the state's I have storage units or domicile in. Selling the stuff isn't a desire for me because lot of is essential things. I threw the junk out before it went it. I have to make sure that even if I find the place, I have enough set aside to also make the move. Right now I'm living with relatives, and at 30...it's soul destroying to me.
Decide which one has the most marketable stuff in it and sell everything in there. Summer time is a good time. Haul it all to the local flea market. If you don't have a vehicle to do it put an ad on Craigslist and work a deal with someone with that sort of vehicle.

And if neither storage has enough stuff in it to give you the money to get an apartment then what on earth are you doing? You are paying money to store garbage? Take the stuff you want out and let the rest go to auction. No longer your problem. Or give it away. Run a craigslist ad. Free stuff in a storage must take everything. Problem solved. No more rental fees. Believe me it will be easy to get rid of the stuff.

Your priority is getting your own place to live not paying every month to store junk.

Priorities!

Old 07-28-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Show up with a couple of trucks and most likely you'll get all of it!

Two eighteen wheelers or two pickups? Nevermind, I only own one pickup truck.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:35 PM

OP why are you holding onto things like lamps when you don't own or rent your own place? Salvation army stores and other thrift shops often sell lamps for $5.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Stop dropping your cash on storage
It costs too much

Old 07-29-2018, 06:48 AM

914 posts, read 643,783 times
a while back, my life was in limbo with trying to get a job and relocating after some major losses. I paid storage for at least a couple of years and it took thousands of dollars for it to finally be shipped to my new apartment. It was cathartic to say the least, when I was finally able to get my stuff and unpack everything.

After thinking about my life's events, it occurred to me how important our belongings are to us. Our stuff grounds us. After losing so much in life, my stuff helped me heal after the losses. Something as simple as an old towel that you may have used a million times has memories. It reminds you of happier times that you hold dear in your heart.

It's easy for us to tell the OP to get rid of it, but if his life is in limbo today, he will eventually be able to experience a stable life and trust me, those little things mean more than is readily apparent.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you're not using what's in the storage unit now, then you don't need it. Just think how much money you'd have if you weren't paying on two storage units.
I've had several cars in storage for a long time... they have all appreciated nicely...

All depends on what you are storing... need can mean different things to different people.

I don't need antique cars but I sure to enjoy them plus they can be lucrative at times when the economy is booming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues