Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:23 PM

34 posts, read 58,856 times

Advertisements

Couple years ago, I had made the decision to pack up from my rented condo...and put everything I acquire over 5 years into an 8x10 storage while I traveled. My rent kept going up, and I wasn't making more money. At the time it seemed like a good idea.

After moving from my apartment, I moved 1,000 miles away with a friend, for about a year and a half. When the lease ended, I acquired the majority of the furnishings. Well, I didn't find a place because I didn't have inclination to stay. So, those things have also went into storage.

So you guessed it, I ended up getting a second storage unit...slightly larger: 10x15. This has been going on now since June of 2017. I pay $100 for one, $160 for the other. When adding late fees, it can be $20-40 more. Yes it's cheaper than renting, but it's really draining financially. I pay the dues by the 22nd and 5th each month.

The hardest part is the fact that each unit is 1,000 miles apart. I live at the moment an additional 700-1,800 miles away from each. I visit each unit about every 2-3 months, but one of them I've not visited since November last year...but it's climate controlled and indoors. The other is indoors but not climate controlled...but it's in Tennessee and so far I've not had issues with mold/mildew.

Everytime the bills come around, I just wish I could get out of them. But I'm having no luck finding an apartment. Everywhere wants too much rent money upfront. I can't get ahold of a large enough lump sum of cash to make anything happen as far as getting into a new place.

I used to live in Texas briefly which had $99 move in specials and such. I can't find those in any of the state's I have storage units or domicile in. Selling the stuff isn't a desire for me because lot of is essential things. I threw the junk out before it went it. I have to make sure that even if I find the place, I have enough set aside to also make the move. Right now I'm living with relatives, and at 30...it's soul destroying to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 04:41 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Succeed View Post
Couple years ago, I had made the decision to pack up from my rented condo
...and put everything I acquire over 5 years into an 8x10 storage while I traveled.

Selling the stuff isn't a desire for me ...
Get over it.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:20 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Succeed View Post
Couple years ago, I had made the decision to pack up from my rented condo...and put everything I acquire over 5 years into an 8x10 storage while I traveled. My rent kept going up, and I wasn't making more money. At the time it seemed like a good idea.

After moving from my apartment, I moved 1,000 miles away with a friend, for about a year and a half. When the lease ended, I acquired the majority of the furnishings. Well, I didn't find a place because I didn't have inclination to stay. So, those things have also went into storage.

So you guessed it, I ended up getting a second storage unit...slightly larger: 10x15. This has been going on now since June of 2017. I pay $100 for one, $160 for the other. When adding late fees, it can be $20-40 more. Yes it's cheaper than renting, but it's really draining financially. I pay the dues by the 22nd and 5th each month.

The hardest part is the fact that each unit is 1,000 miles apart. I live at the moment an additional 700-1,800 miles away from each. I visit each unit about every 2-3 months, but one of them I've not visited since November last year...but it's climate controlled and indoors. The other is indoors but not climate controlled...but it's in Tennessee and so far I've not had issues with mold/mildew.

Everytime the bills come around, I just wish I could get out of them. But I'm having no luck finding an apartment. Everywhere wants too much rent money upfront. I can't get ahold of a large enough lump sum of cash to make anything happen as far as getting into a new place.

I used to live in Texas briefly which had $99 move in specials and such. I can't find those in any of the state's I have storage units or domicile in. Selling the stuff isn't a desire for me because lot of is essential things. I threw the junk out before it went it. I have to make sure that even if I find the place, I have enough set aside to also make the move. Right now I'm living with relatives, and at 30...it's soul destroying to me.
You have a 10x15 AND an 8x10 worth of stuff that is essential? I find that hard to believe. That is a lot of stuff. Plus, the cost to get both storage units cleared when you find a place will be astronomical. You need to sell/donate the stuff in one place. If you don’t even have enough money for a deposit now, what makes you think you’re going to have money to get stuff out of two storage units 1000 miles apart. This makes no sense.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:14 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
You may be surprised about how that stuff looks and works after years in self storage.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 AM

696 posts, read 703,841 times
If that stuff was essential, it would be in use instead of in storage. Just get rid of it. You'd feel so much better without the stuff and the fees.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:11 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Get rid of everything in both of the units and stop the money drain.

You are spending more than it would cost to replace all of this stuff one day when you do get a permanent home again

Old 07-24-2018, 08:52 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
If that stuff was essential, it would be in use instead of in storage. Just get rid of it. You'd feel so much better without the stuff and the fees.
That's what I was thinking. Get rid of everything.

If some of the things are family heirlooms see if a relative wants them or will store them for you (for free). I would only ask a relative, to store something, if it was something small and extra special.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:52 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Get rid of everything in both of the units and stop the money drain.

You are spending more than it would cost to replace all of this stuff one day when you do get a permanent home again

$3,380 to date, by my estimate.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:53 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You may be surprised about how that stuff looks and works after years in self storage.
Good point.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:27 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
Exactly. By definition, it's not essential or you would not survive with it being in a storage unit hundreds of miles from where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues