Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:54 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times

Advertisements

Donate all of it to Goodwill or other charity thrift shop. You'll feel so good afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 08:36 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,701 times
I feel for you. My bro did the same exact thing. I have to say my father was smart in many ways but not in that one way and encouraged my bro. It made my bro not able to get ahead in life. He had one storage unit in Ohio and 1 in NYC. Every month he had to pay about $260.00. He ended up living with my parents and I tell you that drag amount which is yes about 3k a year made it very hard for him to succeed.

3K a year is the extra amount you also need, or at least part of it to get out pf your parents house. So at least get rid of one of the units, the more expensive one if possible. Pack the things you want to keep in your car and go back to the one where you live and start saving that money for a deposit. Within 6 months you should have a down payment.

Best of luck.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:40 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,843,742 times
It baffles me as to why people will put stuff in storage and pay rent for years spending multiple amounts more in rent than the stuff is worth. Stop paying rent to store stuff with little value. Either find an apartment or house and move the stuff into it or get rid of the stuff.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:37 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I can’t say it better than others have already. OP has been living without this stuff for years, so he doesn’t need any of it. It is like a ball and chain.

If he just stops paying, won’t the storage places just auction the stuff?

Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can’t say it better than others have already. OP has been living without this stuff for years, so he doesn’t need any of it. It is like a ball and chain.

If he just stops paying, won’t the storage places just auction the stuff?

Old 07-26-2018, 09:58 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
A solution that I have offered to friends down sizing or when finding a place for Mom is old suitcases...

The 90 year old grandmother of my friend was going to assisted living... they had a lot of things that meant a lot to her... one was her wedding china... other were cards from her kids and husband over the years... my friend was freaking out...

I suggested she take a couple of Grandma's suit cases... lay out the China.. take a picture and have Grandma help pack them... same for the cards and same for the figurines... Grandma was happy and a household of treasures was reduced to 4 suitcases... anyone that can't find room for a couple of suitcases has more problems...

A little off topic... I helped my Grandfather's Aunt move to assisted living... she had a very modest one bedroom unit in a duplex for 40 years... moving was most stressful for her... a life time of things and no kids family except us... she was born in 1900.

I manage rentals and had a vacant 1 car garage... told her what ever she wanted to keep but couldn't take with her I would store for her... also did the suitcase things for fragile items...

As time went on... I mentioned a young family that needed a dining set... said they didn't have much money but a great need... she was more than happy to gift it to them... same for all the furniture I had stored....

For her the difference was someone saying she mattered, her stuff mattered and finding a way she could part with it and be happy...

Too many times I see ill thinking family come in... with Grandma there and say all of this has to go... like it is a burden to quickly wrap up and get done...

Old 07-26-2018, 10:10 AM

23,175 posts, read 10,463,936 times
I run a storage facility, people will rent storages and pay 20,000 over a couple decades, they die or go broke, and we auction them for 100 bucks. I always advise people just to give it away. I could walk out of my house right now with everything I own in one suitcase. To be weighed down with so much stuff is like being in a prison, I throw great stuff away all the time, I just refuse to collect it.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:05 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Succeed View Post
My thing is, if I just give it up to auction...that would essentially defeat the purpose of all this time storing things.
That's called "Price of learning from mistakes"

Quote:

It's all about PROPERLY storing items. Some people I see have stuff piled to the ceiling. You can't do that. All of my stuff is stored to where I can walk around without stuff falling on top of me.
Yay for your packing style. It's still an anchor around your wallet...

Quote:
It's easy to say get rid of it, but I look at it like this: if I had an apartment and traveled like I did: I'd be spending more. Even its $3,000 I've spent, that's only 3 months rent in most places. I don't want to start back over when I get an apartment, sleeping and eating on the floor. It's also not as easy to just "buy everything over again" because when you move someplace, that takes time and the first few months moving in, is usually not the best time to make extra purchases. .
More excuses and not accepting any suggestions means you're not serious, you wanted us to support your actions and still want to "Keep it all" Ok, go ahead.

I'm not the fool paying for the storage...

Old 07-26-2018, 01:03 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times
When we were househunting 2 years ago, I was amazed at the number of older people (let's say 60-65) who had their giant houses packed to the brim with stuff. It gave me the heaves just looking at it.

There was one house that we liked and the couple wanted a FOUR month closing date so they could go through all of their stuff. We passed.

Anyway, it was a good lesson to me to purge purge purge. Never let it get like that.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:09 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I'm sure that this has been stated numerous times, but the first rule when doing a major clean is that if you haven't used (or displayed) something in 12 months -- sell it, donate it, or throw it out. Of course, there are a FEW exceptions to this rule, but certainly not very many, I think!

(For example, even if someone goes camping only every three years or so, it costs a bundle to buy a new tent, camp stove, and sleeping bags.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues