Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 05:03 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times

Advertisements

I/we weren't originally torn, because the relocation city was assumed to be more desirable, and moving away from family was underestimated.

Fast-forward years later - still at the relocated city - the newer place is undesirable, and being away from family is now huge.

Interesting how things change. What you originally think might turn out to be completely wrong.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-11-2021 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 08:37 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
The one-way highway is very true. It only works to take you to them. They can't seem to find the way to you except maybe once a year or two. That certainly is the case for relatively short distances of a few hours. I moved 1000 miles a few years back and I became a cheap vacation spot. I'm near the junction of two major interstates in the southwest so I get visitors either passing through or coming for a visit. It sort of balanced out. I'm happy to have the visits for a day or even a couple weeks. Friends and family, both will visit.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
I am coming at this from a different angle. Our kids moved away from us after education was complete. Two of them found work in other cities, and one simply moved because it was a place they wanted to live in.

Luckily for us, two of my kids live fairly close to each other. My other “kid” lives overseas. We chose to move close to the two who now reside in OR. We moved to be closer to them. Our move was welcomed. We make sure to be agreeable and we all do get along.

In your case, you seem to have difficulties making friends. You seem to be very alone and you have some mental health difficulties. If you lived near your family, you would be able to have more social experiences, but you would also have more stress, because you feel smothered by them.

I don’t think there is a good answer here. You might fare better living closer to family than you do now, but not in Mobile. I have no idea if that is feasible. But, honestly, I think you would be happier in the long run living on your own, but with some friends and possibly a romantic interest.

Instead of asking the question you have asked, perhaps a better question to ask is how to live on one’s own, less solitarily than you do. Wherever you go, you take yourself. You are likely to have the same problems you always have had until you learn how to find companionship. You already know the stress of your smothering family. Why would you choose to go through this again?

Old 06-11-2021, 09:27 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Move someplace they want to visit, and they'll show up.
I got lots of visitors when I lived in San Francisco and Hawaii. I bet NYC and LA would be popular with visitors, too.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:51 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
I moved from the US to the South of France….no regrets. My family can visit whenever they want.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:54 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Why do your therapists think you should live near family? Let's start there.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:21 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Why do your therapists think you should live near family? Let's start there.
Because they assume that the quality of my life would be better by being near them, but I don't think that is true

Old 06-12-2021, 03:01 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
It would be nice in some ways to live closer to family so that I could more frequently and physically interact with them. But that doesn't actually carry a lot of weight in my decision-making process, especially since the bulk of my close relatives remain in NYC, a city I do not see myself ever living in full time again. My dream and goal are to move back to Honolulu next year. Family can visit and there's always video chat.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:02 AM

76 posts, read 65,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
Because they assume that the quality of my life would be better by being near them, but I don't think that is true
Are both you and your therapist operating from the same definition of 'quality of life'? Just curious on that one. I think you're being wise in considering their advice in contrast to your own wants/needs/desires and keeping those suggestions 'at an arms length' while you evaluate the choices that will impact you the most.

I have a thought question for you OP. Let's assume for a moment that you made friends easily and in any particular 'destination choice' the 'potential friend' population is large. So - in this made-up scenario, 'quality friendship obstacles' are not any concern at all for anyone. In this case, where would you choose to move, and what are some of the reasons you would find that particular choice appealing?

Old 06-12-2021, 05:05 AM

76 posts, read 65,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yes, torn. But due to our age we chose family over preference.
Also torn. But due to our family's age we chose family over preference (we're staying nearby my wife's elderly parents).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues