Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 02:50 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,032,631 times

Advertisements

We moved to a small town in FL, unknown to us, after driving around SW and SE Florida looking for a new-to-us home, knew little about area except we liked the house. At that time we lived full-time in Naples over 10 years but the HOA there went bonkers so we needed to move before they began changing the rules we purchased under, which they were going door-to-door getting proxies to do.

We liked our new small town and home for over 10 years but decided to move closer to family in 2019, just a couple months before Covid. Great timing haha but we were moved in and celebrated Christmas together before everything got oogiewoogie.

Each time we move we research online after looking for home and finding it, before making offer, esp. about hospital ratings, being retired and doctors being a thing now. So far we have not been let down by research.

Realtor.com map for any neighborhood has a "crime" overlay that shows you how neighborhoods compare in crime statistics.

For our most recent move we had in-town relatives able to give advice on what areas to skip due to traffic, etc. We found our home in an area they weren't familiar with and it's been just great, even with pandemic workarounds. Good quiet neighbors, low crime, good medical care, good groceries, less expensive house, bigger and newer than Florida ones. Happiness. (We were open to renting then buying until we visited some rental places and knew we'd be unhappy, yes they were nice, newish).

I don't expect we'll move again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 02:52 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I suppose I could put that task on my bucket list, but I'd rather just locate the most recent edition of one of those "best places to live" or "where to retire" books.
I wouldn't rely on either of those publications. The agendas (or incentives) authors like that have for compiling that fodder are definitely NOT the same as mine. I might give them a cursory read but using them as a key source of information? No.

As for finding the non-forum parts of C-D, try this link to the true home page:

https://www.city-data.com/

You'll see tabs for non-forum pages, probably where you can find statistics and other community information.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-18-2021 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-21-2021, 09:53 PM

26 posts, read 26,517 times
I moved to the pacific northwest first Seattle than Portland, OR without visiting. Not sure what my opinion would have been had I visited first. I did visit Portland a couple of times while I was in Seattle.

I think you get a different experience living somewhere than visiting.

I wouldn't recommend moving to Portland, OR without visiting. Maybe if you want to live in the suburbs and not the city.

Portland and Seattle, I don't feel you get a true impression of the area without being there.

I have visited all over the USA, but the people in the pacific northwest are different. I think if you are from a place where people are friendly, you may not like Seattle.

If you like living alone Portland, OR may not be the place for you. Beautiful place, but the pay sucks. I kinda figured when I was there at 45 years old I would have to get roommates to make a go at it. I am a licensed plumber. Plus my experiences visiting Oregon did not match living there.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:04 PM

26 posts, read 26,517 times
I would also like to mention that I did it. Move with out visiting. I would not do it again.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:16 AM

474 posts, read 1,260,385 times
Default Don't Forget Videos

Lots of videos on YT by people who make lists of best and worst cities and states, etc. For the most part, these people rely on sources that are less than reliable. I follow this one guy just for fun. The comments underneath usually rip him apart because they live there and he doesn't.

It happened with my state and hometown. Most of us New Jerseyans (Jerseyites?) had a bunch of laughs at what he got wrong. Especially my hometown, Trenton. He mentioned Trenton and Princeton as the most important hubs of the Revolution. On that he was correct. He then way over-emphasized the "large" amount of tourists that go to Trenton to visit these historical places. Where he goofed: I've NEVER seen those large groups of tourists-ever. And if you do decide to go visit some of them, I would suggest taking something along in case the locals decide to target you.

Again, always speak to a city's inhabitants and/or the police if you want the real "low down". And also the comments underneath videos. They contain a wealth of information.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:39 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,006 times
Default Are any of you torn between living near family and living in a different city that you actually like ?

I mentioned in a different thread that my psychiatrist thinks I need to move back near my family. I also have had therapists in the past mention the same thing. I grew up in Mobile alabama and I'm not so certain I wanna return. I currently live just outside Atlanta. I like it here but been thinking of moving because I don't really have anything keeping me here and it's getting too expensive to rent here.

Mobile is ok but I can't see myself going back there and settling down although my family would love it if I did. I'm not sure where I would go but there are not too many cities within driving distance that would interest me. But then if I go to another city I would be alone and it is hard for me to make close friends. I would like to be able to live life for me without my family trying to pressure or control me and I don't think I could do that if I was living in the same town...plus I value my space and alone time at times.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:10 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
I would never take family into consideration on where to move.

This is almost always a one way street, family wants you to move, live next to them, but never would relocate to be next to you.

At that, goodness, Atlanta is not far at all from Mobile, it is not like you moved to California or another country. It is like five hour drive or so, you can visit every single weekend if wanted, or they can visit you.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:13 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Yes, torn. But due to our age we chose family over preference.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:01 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Currently debating that very issue.

Ever since My son created some beautiful kiddos, I have been thrilled to visit them. There each time they need a hand. Love that I live only half hours drive across a river. BUT then I get to thinking about it, that road goes both ways and its extremely rare: 9 years rare to be exact that they ever decide to come here. I could live in Spain or anywhere else on the planet. And not one time would they come my way. So maybe its time I live with the understanding , its a two way street, and I need to ease on down another road to live in the home of my choice. I dearly abhor living in this snow riddled climate come November til March.

So maybe soon I'll make that change.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:18 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Never have been torn up about the choice. If the place where family happens to live won't make me a happy or contented person, spending more time with them isn't going to neutralize that much. Are they going to keep welcoming a frustrated person who may even resent them because that person felt obligated to stay close by? Be careful. Resentment can creep up on you. IME, my parents cared most that I found my niche and lead a fulfilling productive life. I wouldn't have been able to find work in my chosen profession nearby anyway. I did struggle with living a long distance away some once my my father was very elderly and in decline, but I know myself. I wouldn't have been much help to him if I was miserable, unable to support myself, or to afford to live there.

We don't know what your relationship with your family is OP. How dependent they are on you and vice versa. Only you know that. BTW, there are multiple ways to stay in touch with family. In your case you aren't considering moving to MARS, you're just contemplating moving within the SE US! Hardly a barrier to maintaining relationships.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-11-2021 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues