Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 12:27 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We moved to Helena Montana sight unseen over 11 years ago.

Couldn't be happier.

Great views.

Comes at a cost.

Wow, that's' cold. But, it looks beautiful. I had a friend in Helena in the 90's so I remember her mentioning it a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 02:30 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I've done it. It worked out, but I wouldn't recommend it.. When I moved to San Antonio, I actually rented an apartment (It was brand new) sight unseen, I never would have lived in that neighborhood if I knew better.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:55 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The easiest way is to pimp my Knoxville thread in the Knoxville forum.

Somebody above said “make a list”, and that is pretty much what I did. Here is my thread. Scroll down to post #19, which explains what I love so much about living in my area of West Knoxville.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/knox...oxville-2.html

I just read it, thank you for sharing. It sounds like it absolutely checks most of your boxes!

Old 05-17-2021, 05:19 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,260 times
My opinion? One word: Don't.
IF you decide to do so - and it's your decision - one more suggestion: RENT.
Good luck.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:49 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
In today’s world with YouTube, Google Street View, etc, you can travel almost anywhere without leaving home.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:22 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I just read it, thank you for sharing. It sounds like it absolutely checks most of your boxes!
So far, it absolutely does but there are still many cities left for me to see and consider. It should be a fun search.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:55 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We moved to Helena Montana sight unseen over 11 years ago.

Couldn't be happier.

Great views.

Comes at a cost.

We spent a week out in Helena last August and loved it there. One of our favorite stops out west.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:36 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
In today’s world with YouTube, Google Street View, etc, you can travel almost anywhere without leaving home.
This is true. It can be a lot of fun. Be sure to read any comments to get more of a complete picture of an area. However, there's subjects that aren't usually reported such as crime statistics. It is also helpful to take a look of the online newspapers of an area to see what is going on. I have learned much the hard way. There's a pin on Pinterest that says "There is nothing worse than living in a place where you don't belong". Very true indeed.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:52 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
This is true. It can be a lot of fun. Be sure to read any comments to get more of a complete picture of an area. However, there's subjects that aren't usually reported such as crime statistics. It is also helpful to take a look of the online newspapers of an area to see what is going on. I have learned much the hard way. There's a pin on Pinterest that says "There is nothing worse than living in a place where you don't belong". Very true indeed.
Supposedly City Data itself offers all this information, or so a quick perusal of the main page recently informed me, but I don't know how to access it. I suppose I could put that task on my bucket list, but I'd rather just locate the most recent edition of one of those "best places to live" or "where to retire" books.

Last edited by otterhere; 05-18-2021 at 09:32 AM..

Old 05-18-2021, 09:31 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times
I believe realtor websites have statistic charts. Been a long time since I looked. Also re: schools, transportation, walkability scores (whether one needs a vehicle to get around or stores are within walking distance etc.).
Small issues but can be important for some. I remember that years ago someone once said that the local police department is a great source of information LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues