Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 AM

18 posts, read 26,356 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I recently started new position in Los Angeles (1 week). I relocated here from the east coast as for years and years have said how I want to live out west. I ended up in a long distance relationship with a guy from out here which really motivated me to find a job so I could move here. Our relationship didn't work out but I still decided to take the job offer since this was something I'd wanted to do before I met him and it wasn't about him. Anyway, now that I'm here, I don't think I'm going to like this job (which will require months of orientation with a steep learning curve). And all I can think about is packing my stuff up and heading back East (funny enough everything I had shipped from home is scheduled to arrive this afternoon). It would cost me as I would owe the company the relocation costs but I only moved from my bedroom in my parents house so it shouldn't be an exorbitant amount, plus the cost of shipping all my crap and car back. But I do have savings so I'm not worried about the cost aspect. I'm not too concerned about finding a new job at home as I had recruiters reach out to me for a few jobs back home before I moved and I could always go back to my previous job. I know this is a decision only i can make. And everyone says "give it a few months, give it a year, it gets easier, etc. etc." but I don't feel right spending months at a job where I need to be extensively trained with no intention of staying. And I do like it here the weather is awesome theres lots of things to do (though I don't really have anyone to do them with), but I'm convinced its possible that some people (myself) value being close to loved ones more than a sunny warm location. I feel like a real idiot packing up and turning back around after only a few weeks but I just feel like...****..this isn't where I should be! I miss my family and friends and I know thats just homesickness but what am I torturing myself for?! Any thoughts or personal experience on the matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 11:25 AM

57 posts, read 59,167 times
People who suggest you stick it out are giving good advice. People hate change. Your job is new, your coworkers are new, neighbors, fellow motorists, etc. Once you get through your training and fall back into your comfort zone, with your own place/belongings, it'll start to feel like home.

I moved from CT to FL and experienced some homesickness. I kept thinking about how much easier it would be to go back to my safe place where I knew everyone and everything. But - something there made you want to leave.

If in 5 years, after you're established in your career and relationships, you still hate CA, then maybe consider going back. But now, it sounds like you're letting the stress of unfamiliarity get to you. Don't let it.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:00 PM

7,037 posts, read 6,288,650 times
You like the weather and the things to do. You don't think, but you don't know for sure, that you'll like the job. Yet, with the extensive training you will only enhance your skills. It would be a great opportunity to further your career.

Why not give it a shot for a few months at least? You can get a different job if you really don't like this one and you can always move back home but you may never get this type of opportunity again. You are the only one who can make the decision though.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:08 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,827 times
So if OP wants to move back, whats stopping you? Unlike a tree, you have no roots and are free to just pack up and go

Old 11-17-2018, 02:00 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
A week? Wow. I think you should give it a shot, unless you want to seem like a total flake to either your employer or future employers. I personally wouldn't trust any employee who jerked the company around like that.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:04 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstnd View Post
Hi all. I recently started new position in Los Angeles (1 week). I relocated here from the east coast as for years and years have said how I want to live out west. I ended up in a long distance relationship with a guy from out here which really motivated me to find a job so I could move here. Our relationship didn't work out but I still decided to take the job offer since this was something I'd wanted to do before I met him and it wasn't about him. Anyway, now that I'm here, I don't think I'm going to like this job (which will require months of orientation with a steep learning curve). And all I can think about is packing my stuff up and heading back East (funny enough everything I had shipped from home is scheduled to arrive this afternoon). It would cost me as I would owe the company the relocation costs but I only moved from my bedroom in my parents house so it shouldn't be an exorbitant amount, plus the cost of shipping all my crap and car back. But I do have savings so I'm not worried about the cost aspect. I'm not too concerned about finding a new job at home as I had recruiters reach out to me for a few jobs back home before I moved and I could always go back to my previous job. I know this is a decision only i can make. And everyone says "give it a few months, give it a year, it gets easier, etc. etc." but I don't feel right spending months at a job where I need to be extensively trained with no intention of staying. And I do like it here the weather is awesome theres lots of things to do (though I don't really have anyone to do them with), but I'm convinced its possible that some people (myself) value being close to loved ones more than a sunny warm location. I feel like a real idiot packing up and turning back around after only a few weeks but I just feel like...****..this isn't where I should be! I miss my family and friends and I know thats just homesickness but what am I torturing myself for?! Any thoughts or personal experience on the matter?
I'd venture to guess most people who make a major move that changes just about everything in their daily life go through a period like this. Even for a move they knew they wanted to make. It's normal, and you'll most likely get over it. If by the end of a year you still feel miserable you might start exploring opportunities within your field in other places, but it's much too soon to do it now IMHO. Learning to handle change is an important skill. Dig into that learning curve. It would be much much worse to realize the new job isn't going to challenge you or teach you anything, much worse!

Old 11-18-2018, 06:19 PM

566 posts, read 572,975 times
We just moved across country to Phoenix about 4 months ago. Give it time. I am majorly homesick as well but we have kids and are staying put. That said, give a place a full year before you make a final decision. You're way too early in to pack up and leave.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:43 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstnd View Post
You've been there a week. Have you even unpacked everything yet? You need to give it at least two years.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:39 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Give it time, the west-coast is beautiful and a great place to live, if you have enough money, lots of money.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
As others have said, give it time. I have found that at about the 2-week mark of every major change I've made that I think I hate it and made a big mistake. We're about to make a cross-country move and my husband and I have agreed to refrain from deciding whether we like it for at least a year.

Explore the area, even if it's by yourself. Join some meet-up groups. Learn everything you can at your new job. Be proud of yourself for moving out of your parents' house and being on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues