Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 10:23 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMoveInFuture View Post
Wow, $5k, not bad. Do you know how many containers they used?
We didn't actually have any containers - we packed ourselves and used Large and Medium sized boxes that I bought on Amazon. We had about 20 boxes and really not much furniture. I saw the space that our stuff took up on the very large trailer/van and I'd say it was about one third of the van. The driver said it was a small load and both homes were one level so that makes a difference in the price. If we were thirty years younger we probably could have rented a U-Haul truck and done it ourselves but I agree, the price was very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 06:03 PM

275 posts, read 285,350 times
One other quick question .... Was Mayflower good with delivery? Did they arrive when scheduled? We're you happy with the unloading?

Old 06-03-2020, 07:50 PM

Yes, they were spot on with delivery. They gave us a six day spread for delivery time and arrived on the third day. Unloading was done well by the driver and three additional men.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:18 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
OP-Glad to hear your move went good. I had my own nightmare with a moving company.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:35 AM

726 posts, read 599,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'm wondering about hotels. How is hotel availability these days and how do you access their health/safety in this covid era?
My husband and I just came off a cross country move. He drove the U Haul, towing our smaller car. I drove the other car, caravan-style.

We had no issues with hotels. I made reservations online as we worked our way west to east (Oregon to Pennsylvania). Room rates were a little lower than normal, which was nice. Lots of vacancies, empty parking lots... which was good for us with that big truck towing a car.

We mostly ate from groceries we bought before we left. Just did take out food just a couple times. Coffee from the hotels.

As for health/safety of hotels, they seem to be all over the disinfecting thing. Just the same, we traveled with disinfecting sprays and wipes. First thing, once in a room, we'd disinfect all switches, knobs, handles, faucets, remote control, microwave, fridge, etc. Wiped down all surfaces. It wasn't that hard. Just a matter of having the supplies and getting used to the routine.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
My husband and I just came off a cross country move. He drove the U Haul, towing our smaller car. I drove the other car, caravan-style.

We had no issues with hotels. I made reservations online as we worked our way west to east (Oregon to Pennsylvania). Room rates were a little lower than normal, which was nice. Lots of vacancies, empty parking lots... which was good for us with that big truck towing a car.

We mostly ate from groceries we bought before we left. Just did take out food just a couple times. Coffee from the hotels.

As for health/safety of hotels, they seem to be all over the disinfecting thing. Just the same, we traveled with disinfecting sprays and wipes. First thing, once in a room, we'd disinfect all switches, knobs, handles, faucets, remote control, microwave, fridge, etc. Wiped down all surfaces. It wasn't that hard. Just a matter of having the supplies and getting used to the routine.
Jessie, it sounds like your experiences on the road were similar to ours. Prepping ahead of time with wipes at the ready and pre-made food and drinks within easy reach made all the difference in the world. We had the added responsibility of our three dogs but they were great travelers in their crates and we stopped every three hours or so to give them (and us) a little break. Our car performed beautifully with all the new safety features. Before we left I had the dealership do a complete check up on the car just to make sure everything was in good order.

Last edited by rfomd129; 06-12-2020 at 08:52 AM..

Old 06-12-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
OP-Glad to hear your move went good. I had my own nightmare with a moving company.
Thx, himain. All the things I worried about never happened so it was a big relief when everything arrived.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:59 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Is the humidity taking its toll on you at the new location?

Old 06-12-2020, 08:03 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post

Thanks for your reply.

I'm much less concerned about switches, knobs, handles, etc. than I am about the bed and who slept there the previous night. To me, the bed is the most significant health threat generally (for a number of reasons dating well before COVID) and can't be sanitized by wiping it down. Despite my loving to travel, I've always disliked staying in hotels for that reason and COVID hugely amplifys the concern.

But I don't guess there's much point in a lot of worry about that which you can't control. I'd like to do some traveling this fall and I'll have to assess the risk/reward balance as best I can at the time.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Is the humidity taking its toll on you at the new location?
Keeping in mind that I spent the last 30 years in the desert and longed for the greenery that comes along with the rain and humidity, my answer would be that I'm doing very well with it. Might have even lost a wrinkle or two by being plumped up with the humidity : ) I immediately noticed a difference in my skin - the dry, chapped skin I had lived with for so long simply disappeared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues