Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,530 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I am currently planning to move from Seattle to Boston with my partner and our doggo in mid to late December. We were planning on driving there, possibly even with a moving trailer attached. This is our first time driving across the country and our first winter road trip. We are starting to get freaked out about the winter/weather conditions and are unsure of what the safest route would be or if there is one.

Here's a few questions if you have any answers and/or experience:
-What would be the best route to avoid crazy winter weather?
-How many days should we plan on for the trip?
-Is it a bad idea to bring a trailer with us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 06:25 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberc11 View Post
Hi there! I am currently planning to move from Seattle to Boston with my partner and our doggo in mid to late December. We were planning on driving there, possibly even with a moving trailer attached. This is our first time driving across the country and our first winter road trip. We are starting to get freaked out about the winter/weather conditions and are unsure of what the safest route would be or if there is one.

Here's a few questions if you have any answers and/or experience:
1. Unless you want to go by way of Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta, & DC (4500 miles), there isn't one

2. Driving over 3000 miles, 8-10 days if no delays

3. Yes, they can get squirrely on icy roads

Suggestion:
Ship stuff by one of the container outfits ie U-Pack or PODS or U-Box.
Then sell car and fly to Boston, buy new car there.
Ship dog by one of the pet relocation services.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:02 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
That is a big dilemma. Go across the Northern/direct route and you have high risk of ice/snow problems. Go across the South and you've just lengthened your route quite a lot.

I think you should either give up the road trip or postpone until Spring.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:31 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
...planning to move from Seattle to Boston with my partner and our doggo in mid to late December.
That's TWO questions.

The best route is the shorter northern one.
Avoiding weather is about watching the news... be ahead or behind any storm front.

Quote:
More than what google maps says to allow; add 3 or 4.

Quote:
That's almost all about the quality of the tow vehicle and your driving skill.
Quality of the goods counts too. Don't drag IKEA crap cross country.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:14 AM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
I've done this a couple of times with pets. I would not want to be towing anything especially as you are not experienced doing it. If you think you must tow a trailer, make sure you know what the tow capacity of your car is and be conservative. The conditions won't be favorable. If you have so much stuff you need a sizeable trailer to haul it that's going to be troublesome and a risk. If you don't have enough stuff to justify much of a trailer, don't bother. Ship it or sell it.

Agree that the route may not matter all that much. You can hit bad conditions anywhere. At least, if you are on a more northern route there may be less traffic and other winter-savvy drivers may outnumber the clueless ones that cause accidents that involve you. The fewer days on the road the better. However, you need to be ready to flex and sit out bad conditions.

Watch the weather forecasts especially what may be coming up behind you...you'll be travelling WITH it, so you either want to jump so you get ahead of an approaching storm front and stay there, or be willing to wait until it gets ahead of you and the roads are cleared.

You may hit some extreme cold even if the weather itself is drivable. Make sure you don't have liquids in the car that will burst if they freeze. Realize you may need to unload more into a motel if you stop, so pack accordingly.

Be prepared with a list of motels that are pet friendly in case you need one on short notice and be prepared to stay over an extra day if the weather does get bad. Carry emergency gear...you'll need to leave space in the car for it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-24-2020 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-24-2020, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,530 times
Thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately, we do have to move in winter as I start my new job in Boston in January.

I think for sure we aren't going to do the trailer and we'll go with the POD route instead.

And I think you all are right, we just have to take it slow, be prepared, and wait out any storms along the way.

I looked a bit into flying out and either shipping our car or selling it, but I am just worried about how our dog would do with that.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:13 PM

1,361 posts, read 552,787 times
Quote:
I think for sure we aren't going to do the trailer and we'll go with the POD route instead.
I had a roommate move last month to Orlando and got a POD for about $1900 shipped to the door... It was something like 6ft x 7ft x 8ft and wasn't a bad price all things considered. They hold a lot more than you think and when I decide to move back east (hopefully soon, 9 years of the left coast is enough) I'll most likely do the same POD type deal... moving only my essential items.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Just remember the Donner party. Who is a true friend and who can you trust?

Old 11-25-2020, 07:38 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Black ice. If you’ve never experienced it read up on it.

Your dog will be fine while you drive but it might be hard to find good places to walk him if it is snowy or icy. Maybe bring a snow shovel so you can clear a path if needed. And depending on his fur maybe get a dog coat for cold outside the car.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:55 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
It's 2020. Roads are generally kept open except when it is coming down like a blizzard.

Just watch the weather reports and adjust as needed.

Figure six hours or so of driving each day. Add two hours for dog and people stops. That makes for about a ten day trip with the trailer, which i know you said was maybe not the way you were going to day. Cut it in half and double the driving hours if you go without the trailer. 2 people driving? Or do you want to take your time and see the sights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues