Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 09:03 PM

830 posts, read 1,730,120 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We need to hire movers to move our stuff about 2,000 miles away. We will have at least 20 large boxes to move. Given that we will have to hire movers to move those boxes, does it make sense to move sofas/mattresses and cheaper furniture be getting rid of them? The sofas and stuff are not really expensive but I wonder if the distance of the move matters more than how much we are moving. For example is moving a 12 foot truck 2000 miles much less expensive than moving a 16 foot truck that distance?

We also need to move 1-2 sedans. Not sure if the same movers would move our stuff and the cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 09:12 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,861,305 times
2000 miles? Figure about $6500 for the items. (If fuel keeps going up, add $2500 to that.)

Now, you get to make the decision if your stuff is worth $6500, or buying new stuff when you land...

Heirlooms are one thing, but "stuff", is just "stuff."

Old 02-24-2022, 09:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times
get rid of the furniture,you can always buy local/plus all the old clothes,shoes,appliances.magazines,books,photos,so cks,old underwear.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:54 PM

6,877 posts, read 4,880,771 times
Logic tells me that it depends on the quality and age of your furniture. What is in your 20 boxes? Consider your housewares. High end cookware or something you picked up at Walmart? Comforters take up a lot of space, bed sheets not so much. Can you mail the boxes to yourself? I think the Post Office takes up to 70 pound boxes. I've known people going to Alaska that mailed the majority of their stuff. You say 1 - 2 sedans. How much can you put in them? Could you get around using movers by scaling back your stuff and packing it into your sedans and driving? If you have to use movers ask them the difference in price. Maybe you can even find a chart on line for various moving companies.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:00 PM

830 posts, read 1,730,120 times
Thank you for the responses! I would say our stuff is not “cheap” for us. Yes, even the pots and pans, sofas etc would take some time to replace when we move. It might make it more worth it to move the washer/dryer and fridge since those are only a few yrs old and cost a bit. We moved into our current home a few yrs ago and wasn’t too happy about having to buy these things (sofas, fridge, w/d). Wouldn’t want to get a used couch after the move, so we might go without for a while.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:46 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
I’ve gone both ways. One thing to consider is whether you will be dramatically changing the “style” of your home. For example mountain cabin cozy to beachy. But do take into account the time it will take to find, order, and have shipped any new goods. That can be tiring on top of the changes you need in local services. Money isn’t always the important consideration.

On the other hand, getting rid of stuff in the new place might be harder. Different types of donation resellers, estate sales, recycling rules. If you know people in the new location they might offer some advice.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:24 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,150,979 times
I'm going through this myself, right now! The answer really depends on a lot of things...

When we first started looking into moving, we found the "services" (Bekins, Two Men and A Truck, etc.) charge by distance and weight of load. Not counting any packing, with an estimated weight of about 12,000 pounds over about 1,500 miles, the quotes came in around $15,000! Pods told us we would need 2 large + 1 small, and that quote was in the same ballpark.

We have decided on using an ABF U-Pack trailer. We are doing all of our own packing and are hiring help to load and unload the large heavy things (at a minimum). Quote for the entire 28-foot trailer came in just over $5K. Hired help will run another few hundred through "task rabbit . com" or "hire a helper . com ", that sort of thing. This way, we don't have to be so concerned about the weight...U-Pack charges by how many linear feet of the trailer you use *not* by weight.

I would encourage you to watch some Youtube videos from people who have actually used the different services. They were really helpful to us!

Once you pin down your options and pricing, I think you'll have a better idea of what makes sense to keep and move with you vs. what you should get rid of beforehand. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2022, 09:41 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
Just FYI I recently moved a lot of antique and vintage furniture a long distance in the summer. The national van line must have kept the truck airtight and it must have gotten very hot inside. Lots of surface damage to finishes. Real wood veneers are particularly sensitive. I suspect most can be reversed but it will take effort. The heat can affect some household decor as well so keep that in mind.

These types of damage are hard to document as having taken place during shipping so you will probably be stuck with it.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:44 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
I would consider looking into all the options, including the large moving companies where you hire part of a truck. I’ve done moves with those companies and the price often ends up being comparable or even less than other options. This is particularly the case if you are moving the opposite direction of most people because those companies have trouble filling up the large trucks.

That said, it will be charged somewhat by weight. If you have older, heavy furniture, it doesn’t make much sense to save it unless it is some sort of heirloom or otherwise vintage/expensive. My parents will be moving next year and they won’t be moving any of their beds, as the beds are all old. A lot of their furniture is really nice, so they plan to sell some of it locally. My mom’s already sold a lot of stuff she hasn’t used for a while. Other stuff like artwork, she plans on moving up because she feels like she can get more money here than she’d get where she is now.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:42 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
We need to hire movers to move our stuff about 2,000 miles away.
Your stuff is worth the effort and expense?
Absent real value MOST will be better off selling or even giving away whatever won't fit in a box...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues