Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:32 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
My girlfriend hit the nail on the head with this answer and I have to agree...it's mostly "familiarity".
I totally agree and I think familiarity is the perfect word to use. Oddly enough, it can even be the things that bugged you about the place where you just moved from that you end up missing just because you were used to it being a part of your life. Some people seem make this transition more easily than others. I happen to love moving and checking out a whole new area.....but I still have those homesick pangs on a bad day.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I see so many homesick people on here posting. They MUST have moved for a reason and now just make themselves sorrowful about it. Find things in your new home and try to learn to enjoy your surroundings and the people there. Try to adapt. IF not move back home.
Your only making yourselves sick about it.
I got to admit, I have moved or been transfered out of my state several times only to return on my own. This last time is the last, I'm getting to old for this crap. I got out of my old profession and am not getting back into one that transfers on a whim.
When I was younger, I got homesick, because my family is my world, and talking to them on the phone/online is fine but not fully satisfying. As I got older and more accustomed to the distance, the homesickness subsided for the most part (though it still crops up on occasion, like on my first Christmas not spent with family).

I like where I live, and moved here for the job opportunities and to be with my significant other. Neither my SO or I would be able to find suitable jobs where I'm from, as it is very rural and remote. But being apart from my family is a sacrifice that is a struggle to make at times.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 919 times
I moved to Central Florida from Paterson NJ a month ago. NJ is just too expensive and Crime is outta control... I like my New house. Im in a great community.. living in a house that would cost Triple what i am paying for here. My wife and Son Love it here.
My oldest Son, stayed behind (in NJ) due to Job and Girlfriend.
I miss it. I miss it alot. I miss my Family Friends Security of Connections I had back home,, and my Routine back home. I really am stressed out.. in closure My Financial Situation is Good for my brain... But this change has been Bad for my heart. I dont know what to do... any advice.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:40 AM

297 posts, read 743,305 times
My family has moved a number of times for my husband’s job. I love a new place. It’s an adventure, exploring and finding gems that make it special. The only downside to it is worrying about my kids adjusting. My son is usually fine, he’s not that social and still communicates with old friends. My daughter is very social and has anxiety so I worry about her the most. But they’ve always been ok after the moves.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:19 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
For me, it was family.

I grew up close to my parents and grandparents. Only child. Both the long distance moves I made were to find a job exclusively, to places I never saw myself living. At 31, I've never moved to anywhere I really wanted to go.

I didn't really miss my hometown itself. My family will never leave, so if I want to see them, I'm probably going to have to be within 200-300 miles of the hometown.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
The only time I ever experienced homesickness was the first few months of college, but in all honesty it was really more that I felt intimidated by the unfamiliar campus and urban environment. There was no real yearning to go back home, more a desire to feel at ease and confident. Once I got adjusted I have never felt homesick.

In my eighty years I've lived the first 22 with my parents; after that a total of 20 with other people and 38 alone. I think the fact that I have lived 2/3s of my adult life by myself has made moving just something I do prior to starting a new life. However, I have never moved and left behind people I had deep loving family or romantic attachments with....and that surely would have made things less easy-peasy. I moved from a small town near Buffalo to NYC, then much later to Madeira, then Portugal, to Cyprus and finally back to Portugal, and in each case it was "OK, do it!"

Old 03-02-2018, 01:15 PM

219 posts, read 163,648 times
We are thinking about moving cross country. My husband moved a lot when he was a child, as his dad was military. He's been planted here for close to 30 years. His son lives the next state over and is starting a family and getting on with his life. We will be retired and on a fixed income, so the money we get from selling out here is what we will have. We need to be in a place with a lower cost of living and lower property taxes.

I don't know yet if we will be able to pull this off. I'm tired of the area and want a change. I just don't know if my husband can make the break. We are definitely selling the place. We looked at several areas around here. Housing is expensive and we'd spend most of what we make on this sale to buy something new. We don't see his son that often as it is. So we'll see. I feel like it's our last chance to have a new adventure. I don't think we are leaving all that much behind.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:45 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
One can make up one's mind to be happy or to be miserable. ....
I don't think it's that easy to flip a switch. Some people put down roots. Deep and stable. Some blow with the wind. And personalities are different. I'm a rural person. Always have been. Hate the city. The four years I was stationed in San Francisco were the four most miserable years of my life. Was stationed in a lot of other places in my careers and liked or even loved most of them and would go back without much problem. Except California. No amount of making up one's mind would overcome the sheer misery living there brought every day. So much so that when we finally were transferred out, crossing the state line out of California felt like a crushing weight had been lifted from our shoulders and the world finally seemed clearer again.

On the other hand, we loved Colorado and would gladly go back there again.

When it comes to picking a place to retire, my heart is in the mountains. Only problem is one foot is in the Blue Ridge and one foot is in the Rockies.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:19 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
I took early retirement in December 2016. Our plan was always to move to southern Nevada. My wife, an RN, was/is still working and caring for her elderly father. When he passed away she told me that the stress of her job and taking care of dad had taken a lot out of her and she was ready for a change. Our house sold quickly and we found a very nice home in Henderson that would be our retirement place. She found a part-time job at a hospital close to home and it seemed like the perfect arrangement.

Now, five months later, she is unhappy. She misses her friends, misses the old neighborhood, and doesn't like the job much. I've tried to get her involved with new things and new people and when we do that she seems okay for a while, but I can tell she doesn't like it here.

The biggest problem is that I DO like it here. I do more things here and have made more friends than I ever did in Chicago. If it comes down to it, and she wants to leave, I could not go back to a cold climate and the boredom of winter again. I just could not do it, so I don't know what to do.

I really don't think that it's a matter of IF she wants to go back, but when. She knows how I feel so there are going to be some difficult decisions ahead. I wish there was a good solution, but I'm not sure that there is.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:12 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCheech4509 View Post
I moved to Central Florida from Paterson NJ a month ago. NJ is just too expensive and Crime is outta control... I like my New house. Im in a great community.. living in a house that would cost Triple what i am paying for here. My wife and Son Love it here.
My oldest Son, stayed behind (in NJ) due to Job and Girlfriend.
I miss it. I miss it alot. I miss my Family Friends Security of Connections I had back home,, and my Routine back home. I really am stressed out.. in closure My Financial Situation is Good for my brain... But this change has been Bad for my heart. I dont know what to do... any advice.
Maybe you should have moved to Hammonton, NJ. Or Buena. Stroudsburg, PA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues