Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM

448 posts, read 852,233 times

Advertisements

Ok, we will be driving from Glendale, AZ to Garner, NC while pulling a U-Haul 5X8 Cargo trailer. With us will also be my 11 year old son, a dog, and a cat. I am looking to do the trip in three to five days. If we do ten hour days, where do you suggest cities/ states to stop along the way. I am trying to plan ahead because we are going to need hotels/motels that allow pets. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,841,421 times
Can't really give you too much good information but I just drove to FL from NY and back recently. Make sure you set the cruise on the speed limit in those southern states! They like to give tickets to out-of-staters as you probably know. I got a ticket in South Carolina.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 PM

375 posts, read 913,568 times
made that trip 2x...which route r u taking

Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
made that trip 2x...which route r u taking
It is looking like we are going through I-40 up by Flagstaff

Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Can't really give you too much good information but I just drove to FL from NY and back recently. Make sure you set the cruise on the speed limit in those southern states! They like to give tickets to out-of-staters as you probably know. I got a ticket in South Carolina.
Thanks for the heads up, I am definitely a fan of cruise control because I can have a lead foot

Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
If we do ten hour days, where do you suggest cities/ states to stop along the way.
I took this as a challenge, and plotted it with additional destinations using Google maps.
1. Phoenix to Tucumcari, NM
2. Tucumcari to Clarksville, Arkansas
3. Clarksville, AR to Knoxville, TN
4. Knoxville, TN to Garner, NC.

The last leg is only 6 hours, but it's a little harder over the mountains.

Good Luck!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 PM

375 posts, read 913,568 times
I would def. consider camping as an option. We ended up camping so we could take our doggie babies with us. We stopped at places w/campsites for the pets and an educational spot pretty much each night. Don't forget to organize trip around pet stops too, as it's a long trip for them.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,695,657 times
Google Maps/Earth and Mapquest offer motel-searchable maps that you can use to plan motel stops; they will do mileage and time, and you can search the motels listed on the maps for animal-friendly places. You can do this right now as you plan your route, or you can do it at night when you stop for the evening. I did both; the first as a general idea for distance and locales ("well, there are three pet-friendly motels 20 mi S of St. Louis, we can look there"), then night to night as our plans changed. We even had a route change due to construction (that we were warned about the night before on local TV) that we could plan for seamlessly.

I would not suggest 10 hour days with a pre-teen and pets; the long driving days will exhaust you and them. Since you will be heading east, you will not want to drive facing into a low-hanging, blinding sun, so you should leave later in the AM when the sun is decently up in the sky. (When we moved from SC to NE, we would stop before the western sun became visible in our windshield.) It's not just the visual acuity that changes (reflected light off of windshield that blinds not only you but other drivers) but driving into an inescapable sun will give you eyestrain and a headache! You will also want to be very aware of weather; lots of rain and/or storms will slow traffic and cause more wrecks. When we saw a potential for severe weather one AM on our laptop, we stopped very early that afternoon, when we saw thunderheads in the distance. By the time the storm rolled over where we were, the dogs were fed, walked, warm and dry in the motel room.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,027,279 times
I plotted out as follows:

Day One: You're not going to want to put in a full 10 hours as packing the car and getting out will be stressful. In fact I don't think you'll want 10 hours of driving any day as you're going to have to stop multiple times for gas, bathrooms, walk the dog, to eat, etc....So I gave you 8 hours drive time which gets you to Santa Rosa, NM. The Best Western is nice and accepts pets.

Day Two: Fort Smith, Arkansas...it's a bit over 8 hours. Check out the LaQuinta Inn which is well rated and accepts pets.

Day Three: Cookeville, TN...also a bit over 8 hours. The Red Roof Inn is highly rated and accepts pets.

Day Four: Garner, NC...just under 7 hours.

Good luck!

*** By the way I use Bing which I find to be more realistic in terms of drive time and actual highway speeds.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,300,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In fact I don't think you'll want 10 hours of driving any day as you're going to have to stop multiple times for gas, bathrooms, walk the dog, to eat, etc....
Multiple stops are great for kid and dog, but the cat will cook in the car while the family enjoys a break. For the cat's sake, just drive through - eat in the car and stop only when necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues