Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 PM
ail ail started this thread

34 posts, read 79,160 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving from the Ft. Lauderdale area to Austin, Tx. I'd be most appreciative for recs for excellent, reputable moving companies. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:50 AM

796 posts, read 1,842,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ail View Post
I'll be moving from the Ft. Lauderdale area to Austin, Tx. I'd be most appreciative for recs for excellent, reputable moving companies. Thanks in advance!
I'll be keeping an eye on your post, since we're going from Miami to San Antonio...

Old 05-29-2010, 01:08 PM

604 posts, read 856,006 times
If you don't mind a little sweat equity, ABF U-Pack did a great job for me when I moved from Denver to Miami. They drop the trailer off, you load it and secure it, they haul it away and meet you on the other end. When I leave Miami I will use them again.

Giz2000, I'm wild with envy...I can't wait to get out of Miami.

Last edited by Schrodinger's Kittens; 05-29-2010 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 05-31-2010, 09:50 AM

102 posts, read 338,293 times
As has been recommended many times on this forum. Try www.movingscam.com for moving info. Do not use an internet company that will give you a quote without taking a look at your items. Lots of scammers in S. FLa. Also check with your local BBB. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 AM

232 posts, read 676,210 times
I used United on a cross country move. No problems at all. They were pricey, but very worth the peace of mind.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:24 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I recommend Mayflower... they have a price guarantee which meant they cannot increase the cost of moving when they give you a binding estimate (but it can decrease if it weighs less)... their price were competitive as well... no hidden charges either... I remember using another company once and they wanted more money and wanted to hold my stuff hostage, unfortunately for them it was in my contract to not pay those fees so I assume that's how other moving companies work...

Old 06-03-2010, 07:17 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
More years ago than I care to admit I worked for a moving and storage company. I believe the biggest factor in move satisfaction lies with the driver and how well he loads the truck. You could have a fabulous move with Mayflower/Allied/Atlas/North American, etc., and then use them again, different driver and entirely different experience.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:03 PM

26 posts, read 103,681 times
We just moved from Co to Orlando. We used Mayflower (which ended up being United -since they work together - and it was GREAT!!! The service was excellent and the best was the "price guarantee" - --- I would recommend it 100% - nothing was broken and were very responsible.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
Within the NYC area (the 5 boroughs), I would highly recommend The Padded Wagon. I used them on three moves and they did an excellent job on the move, the accuracy of the quote, and the professionalism of their office staff and movers.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM

133 posts, read 584,308 times
Just started the process of filling web-forms to request for an onsite quote (I hate calling first!)...and started with Allied, Bekins, United, and Mayflower. Within minutes of submitting my form, Allied called, and seemed obviously interested in getting my business through prompt and polite customer service. No immediate call or email from the others (except for the computer-generated "thank you for your inquiry" email reply). It was interesting to see United and Mayflower used the exact same online form and system - almost as if my forms were being submitted to one central location for both. I guess it's possible - interested to see how they differentiate themselves in the actual callback and services!

Ah, now I'm already leery of Bekins, as their first email already quotes a particular price...which always seems like the beginnings of a long, painful 'bait and switch' process.

Anyone recommend any of these "Big Four" over the others from personal experience?

This is an interstate move from Las Vegas to Northern California (519 miles, per Bekins).

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues