Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Go to NYC. If you go to a NY school and then do your internship, it will be more prestigious than going to a school NC.
Ridiculous. Worst advice I've seen. Even IF the person gets an internship (but most want college grads), any future career path even with that company will require a college degree.

To the OP:
Don't go to NYC until you finish college; it will be hard enough even with a college degree. After graduating, you can look into an internship or entry-level job in NY. Also, by then you'll be old enough to enjoy the nightlife.

If you go after high school you won't be getting into many clubs or bars, and it won't matter because you wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 01:41 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Are we all certain OP can get into UNC Chapel Hill?

If so, that would be the pick, unless you get into NYU or Columbia. of those two, NYU is notoriously erratic in their financial aid policies and probably wouldn't be a good choice vs UNC, even if you crave living in NYC (depending on your financial situation) Columbia OTOH, has relatively generous fin aid, though of course its very hard to get into, and 4.0 is no quarantee of admission.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:26 PM

8 posts, read 20,654 times
Thanks for all your opinions. I'm leaning toward staying in NC until I finish my undergrad as it seems like a better option financially and education wise. Also, I wasn't trying to turn this into a comparison of UNC-Chapel Hill and LaGuardia Community College as I never said I wanted to attend either of these schools. It was simply an argument of staying in NC or going ahead and moving to NYC with no specific schools in mind yet.

To Bergencountyjohnny: I think Tanaples was trying to say if I moved to NYC, went to school, and got an internship there it would be more beneficial than just going to school in NC and then moving to NYC with no connections. But I do agree with your statement about nightlife lol.

To Brooklynborndad: I think I have a pretty good chance of getting in to UNC-Chapel Hill; I have a 4.0 gpa, some volunteer work, although I plan on doing more, and I am awaiting my SAT scores as we speak. Plus tuition for Columbia for all four years not including room and board, $165,264; tuition for UNC-Chapel Hill for all four years including room and board, $69,692. Keeping in mind the cost of dental school, $183,040, I'd much rather go the cheaper route.

I can actually attend school at a community college for a year after high school, paid for by my high school program, but I'll probably forgo this option because many people who have done it had trouble transferring credits and therefore wasted a year of school, which I am not willing to do.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:33 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Very bad advice, and patently untrue.

UNC is far superior to ANY SUNY school, period.

This is pretty common knowledge to most educated people.
I don't know about that. Schools like Binghamton, Geneseo and some programs at schools like U. of Buffalo, U Albany and Stony Brook, among others are pretty good too.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxe View Post
Hello everyone, I am currently a senior in high school with excellent grades and would like some opinions regarding my future plans. I visited NYC many times and I enjoy it there and I would like to live there, however; I don't know if it would be better to wait until I finish my undergraduate degree or just go ahead and move after high school. Housing most likely wouldn't be a problem as I could live with my grandparents while in school, but I am concerned about out of state tuition since I live in NC. If I did move, would it be wise to attend a community college for two years and then transfer to a four year college? I will ultimately move there because I'd like to attend dental school in NYC, but to me it seems as though it would be beneficial financially to go ahead and move now because in about four to five years my grandparents might not be there and they are a crucial part of my plan. Thoughts?
If you are looking into Dental School look at the University of Buffalo. They have a good program. Stony Brook on Long Island also has a program, as does the University of Rochester.

Eastman Institute for Oral Health at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry

Dental Medicine | Stony Brook University Medical Center

-UB Dental Alumni Home

Old 06-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Here are some other possibilities: UAlbany School of Public Health - Dental Public Health Residency Program (http://www.albany.edu/sph/residencies/dphr/index.html - broken link)

Dental Medicine - Academic Department - School of Medicine Hofstra North Shore-LIJ

New Jersey Dental School

Old 06-18-2010, 05:54 PM

8 posts, read 20,654 times
Thanks for all the links Ckhthankgod, I'm checking all of them out right now!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:13 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,696 times
If you get into Fordham, NYU or Columbia then go to NYC. If you get into Chapel Hill then go there if you don't get into NYU/Columbia. Chapel Hill is a very prestigious school and will open up MANY doors on the east coast.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the links Ckhthankgod, I'm checking all of them out right now!
Keep in mind that Stony Brook and Hofstra are on Long Island and are pretty close to NYC. So, you can go to either school and still take in NYC now and then. You also could possibly form some connections with those familiar with NYC too. Same with the programs in Upstate NY.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:22 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
Quote:
I can actually attend school at a community college for a year after high school, paid for by my high school program, but I'll probably forgo this option because many people who have done it had trouble transferring credits and therefore wasted a year of school, which I am not willing to do.
If you have anything close to a 4.0 you'll be extremely bored at a community college. They're not designed to be challenging to good students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.