Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:26 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times

Advertisements

In contrast to what certain alarmists and hotheads think, government in the US is so highly de-centralised that there would be little effective support for secession. Federal government in the US is actually quite weak compared to the central governments of most countries and the inability of either of the two main parties to gain a permanent hold over government makes the system even weaker, as does the separation of the legislative and executive branches (in contrast to parliamentary democracies). Secessionist rhetoric is simply the province of demogogues and the sheeple who follow them. It's meant to pander, not to lead to any real action. What will continue to occur, however, is ongoing re-adjustments in the balance of power between states and federal government, and within states between local authorities and state government. All of these processes serve to contain the intrinsic tensions and contradictions that exist in a country as large and diverse as the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 09:01 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
The U.S. will last for centuries and will remain in the forefront of world affairs for the remainder of our lifetimes.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:17 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Federal government in the US is actually quite weak compared to the central governments of most countries and the inability of either of the two main parties to gain a permanent hold over government makes the system even weaker, as does the separation of the legislative and executive branches (in contrast to parliamentary democracies).
If that's the case, then why do I hear people discussing Washington politics occasionally almost everywhere I go in the world?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:33 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Are you blind? Never has the polarization between the Left and Right been greater than now. Never has the national debt been so high. The middle class is shrinking, many Americans are not that rich even by global standards. We don't make anything anymore, and our innovation is declining rapidly. The opportunities for young people in this country are lower than ever. You really think it's still like the 60's?
"We don't make anything anymore"

If a more false statement has been thrown around I don't know what it would be.

The U.S. GDP is over $14,500,000,000, that is almost more than double the next closest country. GDP would be the value of all products produced within the U.S.

Do we need to increase manufacturing? Yes
Do we need to cut down on debt? Absolutely

Now as far as the middle class shrinking, which academic class model are you using? Or is this just another baseless statement?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:45 AM

508 posts, read 1,512,808 times
The more things are supposed to change the more it stays the same

Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If that's the case, then why do I hear people discussing Washington politics occasionally almost everywhere I go in the world?
People in other countries don't really know, understand or appreciate our state politics, with the possible exception of Canadians. It is the federal government that conveys the collective union of 50 states to the world; one of its designated powers, after all, is to conduct foreign affairs, as well as to control a national military force. The fact that people the world over discuss American politics emanating from DC has absolutely nothing to do with the way America operates internally. Further, foreigners often don't understand that some of what they think Washington controls is actually under local control, the current biz with Airzona being a prime case in point. The federal government can challenge AZ law in federal court, but can't directly over-ride the state law.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 AM

205 posts, read 503,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Understanding something doesn't stop people from talking about it. It happens every day on city-data.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:12 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
You guys need to wake up and realize what is happening! It is NOT business as usual now ... the feds are so far from the people it's not even funny. I do think the end of the federal government will be mostly peaceful and a self-collapse like the Soviet Union though. I don't believe there will be, and I definitely don't support a violent revolution.

America will NOT last 1,000 years. Sorry to burst your bubble. Even 100 more years, in 2110, doesn't seem that likely to me.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
You guys need to wake up and realize what is happening! It is NOT business as usual now ... the feds are so far from the people it's not even funny. I do think the end of the federal government will be mostly peaceful and a self-collapse like the Soviet Union though. I don't believe there will be, and I definitely don't support a violent revolution.

America will NOT last 1,000 years. Sorry to burst your bubble. Even 100 more years, in 2110, doesn't seem that likely to me.
Ok I will believe you when you show us some real proof, not just your opinion.. The federal government has ALWAYS been far from the people. People in the 70s used to say the same thing your saying right now. We just hear about it more now a days because of the internet and online conspiracys, if you believe those sorry but your kind of stupid.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,715 times
a 1000 years , oh wait, where have I heard that before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.