Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
...it pays to ask the people who actually live there which region of the country they live in. That's one thing I've learned when I've seen morons try to place Baltimore, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and St. Louis in the South.

Nobody ever bothers to ask residents of a place which region they feel their city is located in, and I can never figure out why, especially since a city's self-concept is probably the most important determining factor through it all.
And Your CRAZY AS HELL if you think for a minute that Maryland is not a Southern State and it further proves the point of non-Southerners viewing most southerners as uneducated especially when it comes to history, geography, and race/culture relations.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Anyone who places Baltimore and D.C. in the south is an idiot.
And anyone that DISCRIMINATES against Maryland being a Southern State is a complete idiot.....

Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I've lived in the area for a long time and have never once come across anyone who considers it part of the south. Whatever vestiges of homegrown southern culture were here have long since disappeared (decades ago).
Your very small opinion which can NEVER Remove the Fact that Maryand is a Southern State..........

Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterForever View Post
Baltimore and DC are not southern in any shape, way, or form...DC native here. We are not southerners.
I highly Doubt that.........

Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Nor the whole of Maryland
Wishful thinking but Maryland is a Southern State.......

Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
Colorado here. Technically you could split Colorado between the West and the Midwest. The mountains are in the West and the farmland plains are in the Midwest. Technically speaking, one could say that Denver lies in the Midwest, because Denver lies on the Great Plains. However, Denver is always placed in the West because of the mountain views.

I've also wondered why Oklahoma and Texas are placed as Southwestern states. The Southwest should be Arizona, New Mexico, Southern Nevada, Southern Utah, Southwestern Colorado, Southern California, and Southwestern Texas. I suppose the panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma could be in the Southwest too, but honestly, I think most of Texas and Oklahoma is way too green to be "Southwestern."

Of course, my opinion on regions is ENTIRELY geographical, as you can tell.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And Your CRAZY AS HELL if you think for a minute that Maryland is not a Southern State and it further proves the point of non-Southerners viewing most southerners as uneducated especially when it comes to history, geography, and race/culture relations.........
Quote:
And anyone that DISCRIMINATES against Maryland being a Southern State is a complete idiot.....
Quote:
Your very small opinion which can NEVER Remove the Fact that Maryand is a Southern State..........
Quote:
I highly Doubt that.........
Quote:
Wishful thinking but Maryland is a Southern State.......

Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Why are you quoting me William??????????

Old 07-23-2010, 12:07 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Colorado here. Technically you could split Colorado between the West and the Midwest. The mountains are in the West and the farmland plains are in the Midwest. Technically speaking, one could say that Denver lies in the Midwest, because Denver lies on the Great Plains. However, Denver is always placed in the West because of the mountain views.

I've also wondered why Oklahoma and Texas are placed as Southwestern states. The Southwest should be Arizona, New Mexico, Southern Nevada, Southern Utah, Southwestern Colorado, Southern California, and Southwestern Texas. I suppose the panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma could be in the Southwest too, but honestly, I think most of Texas and Oklahoma is way too green to be "Southwestern."

Of course, my opinion on regions is ENTIRELY geographical, as you can tell.
How right you are on the above bolded part! My fiance is also a Colorado native and she thinks exactly like you do as concerns Colorado. And Texas too. That is, it is bascially Southern and very definitely NOT part of the West she knows! LOL I agree.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-23-2010 at 12:35 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 06:20 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
It is historically a part of the South. The South was much further North until the late 19th century until large-scale immigration changed the culture of the Northern edge pushing the boundary down. More recently is is pushing further down along the Atlantic Coast.
Baltimore was once southern, but since the Great Migration from the south, it is less southern??

I would think Baltimore should be more southern now than it was than, right?? We are NOT southern.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 07-23-2010 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.