Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:24 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times

Advertisements

We need to invest in our infrastructure and help facilitate smart and cost effective growth and means for commerce and industry. Some of this includes better rail options and some includes roads, airports etc. Ultimately we need to better plan for the most efficient and cost effective means which can include combinations as such.

Why not retro fit manufacturing capacity in places like Detroit and Cleveland for example to assist in the building of rail for places like the NE, we all can benefit if this is done smartly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,396,245 times
The first high-speed rail line is being constructed in California where the voters approved higher taxes for the project. It comes down to values and a willingness to improve the environment. Naturally California leads the nation in these areas!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:15 PM

91 posts, read 291,520 times
If they make that train that go 200mph I will be the first to get my ticket! It would be great to go see my family in St. Louis from Chicago in an hour. Build it right now!!!!!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The first high-speed rail line is being constructed in California where the voters approved higher taxes for the project. It comes down to values and a willingness to improve the environment. Naturally California leads the nation in these areas!
I have my doubts if California as a whole is the nation leader, just because California is so big, sometimes it is hard to pass things. Some of the New England states and Oregon/Washington are often ahead because of less diversity of opinion. But yes the high speed rail is already under construction.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I have my doubts if California as a whole is the nation leader, just because California is so big, sometimes it is hard to pass things. Some of the New England states and Oregon/Washington are often ahead because of less diversity of opinion. But yes the high speed rail is already under construction.
I meant that when it comes to environmental solutions, California leads the nation: air quality controls, auto controls, gasoline formulas, global warming legislation, etc. It is not a surprise that California is the first state to fund "bullet" trains. In-fact, California is the only state to be building high-speed trains.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Well it looks like the Northeast will have the first HSL before Cali. And will have a network of at least 10 HSL's by 2030. Cali will only have 4. The Montreal - Boston line will be the first probably.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well it looks like the Northeast will have the first HSL before Cali. And will have a network of at least 10 HSL's by 2030. Cali will only have 4. The Montreal - Boston line will be the first probably.
They better get started because construction is already underway in California.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
Quote:
I meant that when it comes to environmental solutions, California leads the nation: air quality controls, auto controls, gasoline formulas, global warming legislation, etc. It is not a surprise that California is the first state to fund "bullet" trains. In-fact, California is the only state to be building high-speed trains.
Definitely right on that point. Probably 10-20 years ahead of rest of the U.S., or many things almost non existent elsewhere. Some of the solar stuff, intelligent street lighting, biofuels, waste recycling, electronic recycling is far ahead of anywhere else. I am sure there are more, but I definitely noticed that.

Quote:
Yes I have seen the construction already in the "SF-Silicon Valley corridor".
It is already underway as California was planning for this back in the late 90s so the plans can pass NEPA and CEQA Faster.

But yes, in general, there is market demand for it in California amongst the citizens. If that doesn't in other state well, it won't happen, and they won't get the funding and or extremely delayed.

Bay Area segment should be fully operational by 2016, with smaller segments operational by 2013 I have heard.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Quote:
Construction hasn't started in California yet. Won't start intill 2012 , and will take 2x longer then any NE Project.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:54 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
We need a coast to coast high speed rail line, I imagine it is the airlines fighting that. Are we so third world that we can't keep up with europe or Japan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.