Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM

88 posts, read 366,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Of course Jews and Arabs are Caucasiod. Technically, there are only three races: Caucasiod, Mongoloid, and Negroid.

That doesn't make Jews or Arabs "white". White really describes people of European ancestry. Jews and Arabs are of Semitic origin. Of course Jews have assimilated into European culture. The Romans destroyed Judeau and the great exodus occurred. Many Jews were forced to take up residence in areas such as Poland, Russia, Belarus, Hungary, etc. But they still have their roots in the Middle East.
Jews can be any people of any race. It is a religion.

Arabs/Middle Easterns/Persians are multiracial even by American classifications. A highly mixed group of people with influences from Africa, Europe, and East Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
The question isn't why or whether Americans classify these people this way. The question is rather why members of these groups don't object. Is it because maybe they get handed stuff they otherwise mightn't if they didn't so self-identify? Or get to claim grievances by virtue of so self-identifying?
More like brainwashing into the idea they are different than the main stream leading to even more social issues as they try to develop their own identity, usually opposite of the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
she isn't black, she's a white Colombian, and that prior list is pretty much mostly wrong to.
She was born and raised in Columbia but her father is of Lebanese decent and her mother is Italian. Two areas of the world that saw heavy mixing throughout history. Like most Latin Americans she is from somewhere else, still Columbian but also European, Asain, and African.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting how sub-Sahara Africans get split up according to Coon, but other groups aren't....Hmmm......

Also, the "One Drop Rule" is a misnomer, because if that was the case, then EVERYONE in the World would be Black based on the anthropological findings as to where man originated from. Hence, my reasoning for calling it the "Last known African ancestor" rule.
Race is such a terrible concept. It divides humanity we are all of the same. Some of us lighter and others darker. Climate adaptations. Variations of facial characteristics in particular areas (Europe vs Africa) due to regoinal inbreeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:08 PM

686 posts, read 1,699,125 times
[quote=nykeroutoftown;16323091]

She was born and raised in Columbia but her father is of Lebanese decent and her mother is Italian. Two areas of the world that saw heavy mixing throughout history. Like most Latin Americans she is from somewhere else, still Columbian but also European, Asain, and African.

I don't see any African or asian in her, she's a white Colombian, there are many whites in Colombia even though the majority are mestizos (indian and white mix).

Old 10-19-2010, 11:07 PM

[quote=adirondackguy123;16323450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykeroutoftown View Post

I don't see any African or asian in her, she's a white Colombian, there are many whites in Colombia even though the majority are mestizos (indian and white mix).
You may not see it but it's in her ancestry, like I said her father is Lebanese. In area controlled by so many civilizations and empires in three continents. One thing I can say she does not look pure nothern European because she has the ability to tan dark and her natural hair is Black which is not common there due to regional inbreeding and the areas cold climate. She looks southern European or Middle Eastern/North African, her Lebanese past tells us she can have a multitude of races in her past.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
Quote:
I've heard this many times and each time I cringe at how widely this misinformation is believed.

It is a religion AND an ethnic group. Of course Jews have similar ethnic traits, the same as Italians, Greeks, Germans, and Hungarians have similar ethnic traits. This supercedes religion. Denial of that simple fact is ignorance.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 AM

301 posts, read 640,303 times
Quote:
I've heard this many times and each time I cringe at how widely this misinformation is believed.

It is a religion AND an ethnic group. Of course Jews have similar ethnic traits, the same as Italians, Greeks, Germans, and Hungarians have similar ethnic traits. This supercedes religion. Denial of that simple fact is ignorance.
what you claim cannot be true

Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:

Jewish is not a race. You have Jews everywhere from North Africa to the Middle East, Latin America, southern/nothern/east/west Europe, Asia, Austrailia. I believe the Jewish Religion preaches they are all decendents of Moses or David or some religious figure but this is not the case, most Jews are decendents of converts. That nonscientific belief is part of the problem.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:12 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
Quote:
Jewish is not a race. You have Jews everywhere from North Africa to the Middle East, Latin America, southern/nothern/east/west Europe, Asia, Austrailia. I believe the Jewish Religion preaches they are all decendents of Moses or David or some religious figure but this is not the case, most Jews are decendents of converts. That nonscientific belief is part of the problem.
It's not a race. It's an ethnic group, on par with Arabs.

Jews have similar ethnic features in the same way that all other ethnic groups do - Poles, Russians, Italians, etc., and this cannot be denied.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
It's not a race. It's an ethnic group, on par with Arabs.

Jews have similar ethnic features in the same way that all other ethnic groups do - Poles, Russians, Italians, etc., and this cannot be denied.
What do you mean by ethnic features? And Arabics have great variation, a multitude of races, cultures and religions binded by a language.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:53 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
It's potentially misleading, but it's not really false as you seem to imply. Judaism is a religion and unlike the Parsis it does take in converts. There are even converts to Orthodox Judaism without Jewish ancestry, an odd one I've found was of Swazi royal ancestry.

The Royal Jew From Swaziland
Compass - ABC TV Religion | Stories

Jews are sometimes referred to as "a tribe", but many tribes adopt people from time to time. So although the vast majority Jewish people are ethnic Semites, a certain percent are of other races. Therefore yeah Jews can beof any race, but I would agree they mostly aren't of just any race/ethnicity.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 AM

93,361 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:

Arabs/Middle Easterns/Persians are multiracial even by American classifications. A highly mixed group of people with influences from Africa, Europe, and East Asia.

More like brainwashing into the idea they are different than the main stream leading to even more social issues as they try to develop their own identity, usually opposite of the majority.

Race is such a terrible concept. It divides humanity we are all of the same. Some of us lighter and others darker. Climate adaptations. Variations of facial characteristics in particular areas (Europe vs Africa) due to regoinal inbreeding.
Very true, as there are East African Jews in Ethiopia and West African Jews in Nigeria. From what I've heard, they seem to be more strict in their practices as well.

I think when people think of Jews, they are talking about Hebrews/Isrealites or Ashkenazi Jews: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_Jews
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic...emitic_peoples
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.